Premed 101 Forums

Out of Province Admission!

Hi ---

I am originally from Halifax, although I did my undergrad at Western. After careful consideration I have decided that absolutely Ottawa is where I need to be for meds, but I have been told that this is a nearly impossible dream.

I saw a few posts from UofO students who mentioned their OOP-status and was hopeful that they might have some insight into my chances. I have about a 3.95 after three years (I'm going into my fourth), got a 35 on my MCAT, and have done a fair bit of volunteering and research throughout undergrad. I am told, however, that there are only 9-10 spots in the class available for OOP students and that the competition is much more intense even after being granted an interview. Is this true?? Do I have a shot at Ottawa or should I set my sights on a more realistic school?

For those OOP students admitted - what are your secrets? Is there any particular activity that you feel set you apart in the midst of this supposedly intense competition?

Please help!

Thanks

Nothing is impossible, until you have given up. With that GPA which is stellar you are definitely competitive. However you should be aware that Ottawa U is like a coin toss, since the there are so many applicants, it is indeed truly hard to get in. Is the 3.95 your weighted GPA or overall. If you have done research through NSERC as well or any other avenue you might be up for an interview . They focus heavily on research.

Assuming you're applying to the english program?

Even so, don't despair. Your application seems really solid so although there's never any guarantee, definitely apply. If you're really set on Ottawa, then if ever you don't get in this year, maybe next year! Those 9-10 spots still have to be filled! I'm guessing it's not all by super humans... :P

Hi,

I'm from NB...took my undergrad at UNB, and got denied from Dal and MUN both this year and last. And then I got accepted at Ottawa. So it definitely is not impossible. I had a WGPA of ~3.93 ish,and not an extreme amount of extracurriculars...what they told me is that its harder for OOP to get an actaul interview (the cutoff is higher) but once granted an interview, everyone has the same shot. So with your GPA, you have a great chance of meeting the cutoff and then you just have to dazzle in the interview lol. Hope this gives you hope!

3.87 (i know this because i had a 3.86, but hopefully have bumped it up enough for this year)

My buddy was on the Aesculapian society and was privy to the admissions stats, and word on the street is the average GPA for meds11 is 3.93....booyah!

With a 139 seats at Ottawa, and 40 or so reserved for Francophone medical students, the competition is indeed tough to get in from Out of the Province. I am not sure what the break down is for the english stream with respect to OOP, IP and within the city. You guys are clearly competitive with your GPA's and will likely get a seat somewhere.:)

Archived