Premed 101 Forums

Question on summer Research

grapz

Hello, i'm trying to apply for a research position for the summer.

I've applied to some summer research programs, but havnt' heard back from any of them, so now i'm trying to just email profs that do research in my field of interest.

I was wondering if you are to send a cover letter in your email? or do u just type up a email concerning your interests etc

I don't think the attachement would hurt. I would just send a nicely written email mentionning the attachement cover letter & CV. If they're interested in reading it, it'll be there. If not, they can just ignore it & contact you. The profs I know would probably be interested in reading it before hiring someone, even if they don't specifically require it. You never know, they might read it just out of curiosity & then be impressed & decide to hire you!

Just a side note : You might already have done this, but just in case... An other thing that I found helpful is reading a few of the prof's recent papers. That way, you can be sure the research will actually interest you, and you will be able to demonstrate that by discussing the papers, if it comes up.

Another question.

What exactly do u do while doing research in the summer working for a professor?

That's a question to ask the professor. I know mine specifically said she has a FT lab tech, so she doesn't need any help mixing solutions or doing other menial work like that, so I'm actually gonna work on a research project. However, other profs expect you to do a lot of dirty work.

It really depends on the field & on the lab. Some profs will give you more freedom than others. I would expect to do some "dirty work" (which basically usually means really easy work no one wants to do, such as entering data, mixing solutions & the like), but you might end up doing really interesting stuff as well, especially if you show initiative. Your best bet is to ask the prof or students currently working in the lab/who have worked there before.

What credentials do profs usually look for in undergraduate students? Do you have to be within a specific year?

You don't have to be in a specific year, although preference is generally given to higher ones, or at least it was where I did my undergrad. If you show high motivation & determination though, it shouldn't be a big problem. That & good academic standing is what the profs I met seemed to go for. My department hired 1rst yrs occasionally. If ever you find it hard to get paid work, you can always offer to volunteer in the labs. It's really good experience & will help you get known in the department, especially if you're just starting out.

As for high school grads... I'm not sure... maybe, but it might be a bit harder to find someone than if you were in university already. There's often quite a bit of competition for paid research jobs. If you're willing to volunteer though, I'd be optimistic :) .

You don't have to be in a specific year, although preference is generally given to higher ones, or at least it was where I did my undergrad. If you show high motivation & determination though, it shouldn't be a big problem. That & good academic standing is what the profs I met seemed to go for. My department hired 1rst yrs occasionally. If ever you find it hard to get paid work, you can always offer to volunteer in the labs. It's really good experience & will help you get known in the department, especially if you're just starting out.

As for high school grads... I'm not sure... maybe, but it might be a bit harder to find someone than if you were in university already. There's often quite a bit of competition for paid research jobs. If you're willing to volunteer though, I'd be optimistic :) .

For NSERC, you'll need marks. For anything else,you need to show a high level of interests. If you are from where I am around, distinguish between scientific research and clinical research and don't give the idea that ur using research to boost ur med application.

However, interest is number 1!

It doesn't matter so much the level of study but the maturity. I have seen so many summer students that have the biggest attitude problems and some with a great level of maturity and intiative. The latter almost always fares better.

What do people in summer research do?

If it's a summer research project, then you would do a project, usually a spinoff from a grad student's thesis project (so you mostly work with the graduate student) or you would do a short project on something that relates to your PI's interests (it's quite hard to explain without an example).

Usually you would need to help out around the lab. This is the part that ticks me off because so many people walk into the lab thinking that they are all going to do groundbreaking research and anything like washing dirty glassware (that they themselves used) and labelling their own tubes is below them. Nobody is entitled to opportunities.

Archived