Premed 101 Forums

Anyone hear about interviews?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys I'm IP and received my interview letter last Thursday (Jan 17th). Just wondering if they can actually have a surprise essay for us without informing anyone? I mean I wouldn't put it by the administration because they haven't been doing the best job at keeping all applicants well informed. But seriously...doesn't Mac and U of C inform its applicants of what is going to occur?

When I e-mailed Beth to ask about the OOP cut-offs, she said that the absolute minimums were 3.95 and 11 MCAT, but that only half of the people who made these cut-offs were invited to interview, so it looks like they looked at more than just the cut-offs when deciding to whom they should grant interviews.

When I e-mailed Beth to ask about the OOP cut-offs, she said that the absolute minimums were 3.95 and 11 MCAT, but that only half of the people who made these cut-offs were invited to interview, so it looks like they looked at more than just the cut-offs when deciding to whom they should grant interviews.

That seems fair. Setting the bar any higher would make the cutoffs harder than Ontario schools which require MCAT.

OOP applicant

MCAT 35P

GPA: actually I'm not sure since I need to adjust for the -30 lowest credits

A bit off-topic, but in our notices we were sent, they mentioned that we should expect an interview 5 hours in duration ("applicants should expect to spend approximately 5 hours at the University on the day of their interview"). If there are 10 stations to go to, each 10 minutes in length, then at most we can expect the actual interview to last anywhere from 1.5-2 hours. On top of that, introductions and instructions shouldn't take too long to go through, 0.5 to 1 hour at most. This leaves us with 2 more hours...what is this time for? A few others on this forum have mentioned something about an essay (one said that McGill or one of the other Eastern schools had gotten them to write an improptu essay along with their MMIs), anyone know if this is true? Any rumours of this or thoughts?

I just hope that U of M doesn't do this...to have us write an (time-stress) essay after MMIs is just malicious!

I have 'heard' that there will be no essay on the day of the MMI.

There will be a tour and some quests speakers, and I am assuming lunch/food at some point. This could potentially chew up the better part of the 5 hours.

Although.... my source could be wrong and there just might be an essay waiting for us. Which would f'ing blow.

I'm surprised at all the rejected OOP's with good MCAT's etc I thought that Manitoba pretty much just looked at MCATs and grades in making interview decisions. If it helps I am OOP and got an interview with

GPA: 3.9 (unadjusted) or ~4.2 (adjusted)

MCAT: 38P

(P.S: does anyone know what the proportion of OOP's interviewed to accepted is?)

Archived