Premed 101 Forums

Advice for paramedic to med school

Guest BCmedic

Guest BCmedic

Hey everyone,

I could use some advice on the next step to take to med school. I'm 21 years old and work for BC Ambulance as a Primary Care Paramedic. I managed an 87% average for the PCP program, but my C+ average in high school isn't very impressive. I never took Math 12, Physics 12, or Bio 12 and have a terrible Chem 12 grade. From what I have read on the forum I should go for a BA in a subject I'm interested in. I'm also a reservist in the Canadian Forces, and the opportunity for a tour overseas has come up. Would a tour go a long way for life experience? Or is work as a paramedic enough? Does anyone have any idea if a tour in combat arms would be looked at favorably on an application?

Hey everyone,

I could use some advice on the next step to take to med school. I'm 21 years old and work for BC Ambulance as a Primary Care Paramedic. I managed an 87% average for the PCP program, but my C+ average in high school isn't very impressive. I never took Math 12, Physics 12, or Bio 12 and have a terrible Chem 12 grade. From what I have read on the forum I should go for a BA in a subject I'm interested in. I'm also a reservist in the Canadian Forces, and the opportunity for a tour overseas has come up. Would a tour go a long way for life experience? Or is work as a paramedic enough? Does anyone have any idea if a tour in combat arms would be looked at favorably on an application?

Hey there BCMedic,

I am a PCP-IV in BC as well, but still waiting to get hired by BCAS.

My best advice for you is not to let "what looks good on my application" decide the choices you make in your life's direction. Certainly, going on a tour with the Canadian Forces would be an interesting addition to your resume, but nobody can say to what degree it will influence your success. Because of that fact, it wouldn't be a good idea to risk making a commitment to something that could possibly have no *significant* benefit to your application, unless it is something you already want to do and feel strongly about.

In regards to your choice of major, that is certainly good advice to take whatever interests you, as your marks will hopefully reflect upon that fact favourably. If you didn't do any sciences but are interested in it, maybe go back and upgrade those courses so you can enroll in a science faculty. As for your PCP marks, unfortunately they do not count towards your medical school application because they were not done at a university-level institution.

Guest BCmedic

Haha another JI grad, small world. How far through the hiring process are you? I figured as much for the PCP grades. I figure if this tour goes through starting my degree at 22 won't be too bad. Has anyone had success applying to med school with 90 credits and not a BA or BsC?

Haha another JI grad, small world. How far through the hiring process are you? I figured as much for the PCP grades. I figure if this tour goes through starting my degree at 22 won't be too bad. Has anyone had success applying to med school with 90 credits and not a BA or BsC?

Yep, it's unfortunate as I also have pretty high grades from the PCP program. I've got my app in, but I'm still waiting for my STAR interview invite. Seems they're taking their time since I applied back in October.

I have a friend who got into med school with 90 credits towards a BSc, and they certainly do take in about 20-25 students a year without degrees (I think).

Guest iwannaplaylock
Hey everyone,

Sorry if i am intruding on your thread but if you can PM me... I am currently in grade 12 and really want to complete the PCP program during this summer. It it possible or do i have to wait til i am older. I really want to complete it because i start first year undergrad at ubc and really want to get my paramedic trainning over with. What are some obstacles heading my way?

Hey everyone,

As a paramedic, you have the option of doing a "degree completion" program, which is a way to get a block transfer of credits for your college courses. For example, Athabasca University offers a Bachelor of Science in Human Sciences in which you will get a year of credits for being a PCP. Your marks still won't count; however, you will require only 3 years of courses to earn a 4-year degree (though a general degree).

Ryerson University has a degree completion Bachelor of Health Administration in Health Services Management program, in which your PCP certification combined with 2 years of work experience will give you just shy of 2 years worth of credits. However, this program requires that you spend at least some time in Toronto.

As far as experience in the military versus that as a paramedic - both are extremely valuable! If you are interested in serving overseas, then definately go for it. However, choose this option if you are doing it because you believe in your service to your country and believe that it is the right decision for you - not because you think it will look good on your medical school application.

Being a paramedic has definately helped me along my path to medical school. My experiences have helped me solidify my desire to become a physician. They have also helped me grow up as a person. In addition, I am comfortable talking with patients and their families, as well as with skills such as physical exams, history taking, IVs, intubation, ECG interpretation, etc.

Best wishes with your decision!

Elaine

Guest BCmedic

Thanks for the advice everyone. The overseas tour is something I've wanted to do since I joined. I figure I'm young enough that I can spare a year. Good to know it'll count for some life experience in an interview. Elaine are you in medical school now? It sounds like you might be from out east where a paramedic programs can offer you a 2 year associates.

Thanks for the advice everyone. The overseas tour is something I've wanted to do since I joined. I figure I'm young enough that I can spare a year. Good to know it'll count for some life experience in an interview. Elaine are you in medical school now? It sounds like you might be from out east where a paramedic programs can offer you a 2 year associates.

Hi BCmedic,

No, I'm not in medical school. I've applied to Dalhousie, Western and Queen's for September 2008.

I did the last one year PCP program in Ontario. Since then, I did my ACP training through the City of Toronto. The BC program is acceptable for the two degree completion programs I mentioned.

Best wishes to you!

Elaine

Hi everyone,

It seems that many of you here are PCPers. I'm a UBC BSc biology grad who is currently looking at taking courses and becoming a PCP. All my undergrad I've felt disconnected from the clinical and personal (patient interaction) aspect of medicine, and feel that in addition to being a rewarding job/career, it would also boost my med relevant experience and (if I had any doubts) help me reaffirm or re-evaluate my choice to pursue medicine.

I would really appreciate any advice or insight or any resources regarding how to get into the BC PCP program, and BC job opportunities for those who are PCP/ACP/CCPers.

Thank you so much!

Hey Guys, I worked for BCAS for a short while before I got in to med school - actually between when I applied and got in so just a few months. To the OP a science degree would better prepare you for MCAT and med school than a BA. Mark on PCP won't even be considered for med admission but may help you get in to a science undergrad somewhere. If you want to get lots of hours with BCAS try Port Hardy - they were desperate for people when I left and with three reserves around they are quite busy. Doing a tour would help your app especially if you have a medical role on tour, but even if not it definitely give you life experience to draw on during interviews. Good luck.

Archived