Premed 101 Forums

Interview Weekend

Lol I suppose that makes us feel a bit better? To not be rejected? Because despite you knowing about your chance realistically, it's always not nice to receive a rejection letter =P

But whereas before if you got on the waiting list, you'll be like, "There is hope!" and now if you get on it, it's more like "Oh great, I'm 'special' just like everyone else who also did not get rejected and also got on the waiting list". Ahaha...

The only way that will make me feel better is if it is *possible* to exhaust your entire waitlist. We know thats not true. So I kinda would like it if they played it forward and let us know. But i think the waitlist moves more than we think. Considering ~200 offers were sent out for 520..id say that there are maybe 30 people that dropped out of the waitlist, which includes either getting a acceptance directly at another school or getting an acceptance off the waitlist at another school of their choice. Its really hard to say, but I can't imagine them being so cruel to put everyone on the waitlist if there was absolutely no reason to.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only way that will make me feel better is if it is *possible* to exhaust your entire waitlist. We know thats not true. So I kinda would like it if they played it forward and let us know. But i think the waitlist moves more than we think. Considering ~200 offers were sent out for 520..id say that there are maybe 30 people that dropped out of the waitlist, which includes either getting a acceptance directly at another school or getting an acceptance off the waitlist at another school of their choice. Its really hard to say, but I can't imagine them being so cruel to put everyone on the waitlist if there was absolutely no reason to.

Yeah, I agree with you here - I would not be *too* terribly surprised to learn that in some years they started going down into the 300 level of the selection list. If that didn't happen, then there would be no reason for Queen's to throw everyone who doesn't get a 1st round offer onto the waitlist - unless its an attempt to prevent damaging the psyche of prospective physicians (which I doubt).

Yeah, I agree with you here - I would not be *too* terribly surprised to learn that in some years they started going down into the 300 level of the selection list. If that didn't happen, then there would be no reason for Queen's to throw everyone who doesn't get a 1st round offer onto the waitlist - unless its an attempt to prevent damaging the psyche of prospective physicians (which I doubt).

yeah I agree with you. I think that waitlists should be looked at as initial offers offers are - people in the upper quartile at one school are likely to be the same people in the upper quartile at another school. And these guys may get offers elsewhere and drop out of the waitlist at one school. I think this phenomenon is especially prevalent in schools that share largely in their applicant interview pools (UWO and Queen's).

I don't believe that they actually end up reaching the 400s or bottom 1/2. Kinda sucky tho..they should let people know their position.

what is it now..like 44 days?

Haha are you guys seriously doing a count down? I think it's unhealthyyyy.....

I think for waitlist, they should recognize that it's not just a premed anxiety issue. It's a "I have to figure out my backup plan" issue, especially if it's another professional school, grad school, etc. where there are deadlines, decisions, etc. It's not just "I want a peace of mind" (although even that in itself, should warrant SOME disclosure of waitlist position haha).

yeah I agree with you. I think that waitlists should be looked at as initial offers offers are - people in the upper quartile at one school are likely to be the same people in the upper quartile at another school. And these guys may get offers elsewhere and drop out of the waitlist at one school. I think this phenomenon is especially prevalent in schools that share largely in their applicant interview pools (UWO and Queen's).

I don't believe that they actually end up reaching the 400s or bottom 1/2. Kinda sucky tho..they should let people know their position.

what is it now..like 44 days?

Agreed on the individuals in the upper quartile - a lot of those guys are going to have multiple offers.

First section of the bottom half I could see, but I agree probably not the 400s. I agree - knowing your position would be a huge help if you're on the bubble and need to possibly plan alternative arrangements for the Fall.

It'll be interesting to see whether or not there is a lower level of waitlist movement at Queen's and Western this year due to the way Queen's structured their cutoffs this year. I'm not sure I can really predict how it affected the relative amount of overlap between the interviewees at the two schools.

Haha - thankfully I haven't had my interview at Western as of yet (its on Sunday) so I'm not into the countdown for May 15th yet - just the pre-interview anxiety ;)

Either way, all we can do is do our best in the interview and see what happens. Good luck.

Agreed on the individuals in the upper quartile - a lot of those guys are going to have multiple offers.

First section of the bottom half I could see, but I agree probably not the 400s. I agree - knowing your position would be a huge help if you're on the bubble and need to possibly plan alternative arrangements for the Fall.

It'll be interesting to see whether or not there is a lower level of waitlist movement at Queen's and Western this year due to the way Queen's structured their cutoffs this year. I'm not sure I can really predict how it affected the relative amount of overlap between the interviewees at the two schools.

Haha - thankfully I haven't had my interview at Western as of yet (its on Sunday) so I'm not into the countdown for May 15th yet - just the pre-interview anxiety ;)

Either way, all we can do is do our best in the interview and see what happens. Good luck.

When are you going on sunday? Im at 1 pm

I would say the majority of applicants are still going to be quite similar b/w Western and Queens. You probably have at most ilke what...20% or 15% who got Queen's R but couldn't make the Western 10, and vice versa. The rest are people who made both...because even in the applicants, they had expected to aim for the 10/10/10/Q which is the typical cutoffs.

And of those top quartile, sure, you're gonna get those interviewing at Mac, Ottawa, UT, and then out of province people interviewing at UBC, etc. And the thing about Queens/Western- no disadvantage to OOP so lots of OOP who may prefer to go to their home province school (saves living costs, family, emotional attachments, etc.). Even in my interview weekend, I heard lots of people discussing their multiple other interviews haha.

Oh well, yeah, try our best for remaining interviews, and hope for the best?

I would say the majority of applicants are still going to be quite similar b/w Western and Queens. You probably have at most ilke what...20% or 15% who got Queen's R but couldn't make the Western 10, and vice versa. The rest are people who made both...because even in the applicants, they had expected to aim for the 10/10/10/Q which is the typical cutoffs.

And of those top quartile, sure, you're gonna get those interviewing at Mac, Ottawa, UT, and then out of province people interviewing at UBC, etc. And the thing about Queens/Western- no disadvantage to OOP so lots of OOP who may prefer to go to their home province school (saves living costs, family, emotional attachments, etc.). Even in my interview weekend, I heard lots of people discussing their multiple other interviews haha.

Oh well, yeah, try our best for remaining interviews, and hope for the best?

Well, there's the guys who got R on the writing sample but 9 on verbal, and 9 or 10 on bio who would have Queen's interviews but are not interviewing at Western. Then there're guys like me that have a Q on the WS and thus didn't recieve an interview at Queen's. Last year, the component cutoffs were identical (10/10/10) and the only difference between the cuts was 1 point on the WS (P for Queens vs. Q for Western). Of course, then there's the extra factor with respect to Queen's accepting any of multiple MCAT scores, while Western only accepts the latest one...

Not sure, but to me I think the above might indicate a bit less overlap this year than last. Either way, this is probably far too much analysis - important point is to try and de-stress as much as possible, try not to think about the interviews you've already had too much (Alastriss!) and cross your fingers. Good luck to all.

Well, there's the guys who got R on the writing sample but 9 on verbal, and 9 or 10 on physics who would have Queen's interviews but are not interviewing at Western. Then there're guys like me that have a Q on the WS and thus didn't recieve an interview at Queen's. Last year, the component cutoffs were identical (10/10/10) and the only difference between the cuts was 1 point on the WS (P for Queens vs. Q for Western). Of course, then there's the extra factor with respect to Queen's accepting any of multiple MCAT scores, while Western only accepts the latest one...

Not sure, but to me I think the above might indicate a bit less overlap this year than last. Either way, this is probably far too much analysis - important point is to try and de-stress as much as possible, try not to think about the interviews you've already had too much (Alastriss!) and cross your fingers. Good luck to all.

I know, that's what I meant. But the overlap proportion isn't going to be like 50%. Like in the past, it might've been like 5% since Queens/Western had almost identical cut-offs, but now...ack okay I'll stop analyzing, I suck at stats anyway =P

Btw I think the Queens seats at Boterell at really cool! They swirl and everything! Is it like that for all the other buildings? Hehee....

I know, that's what I meant. But the overlap proportion isn't going to be like 50%. Like in the past, it might've been like 5% since Queens/Western had almost identical cut-offs, but now...ack okay I'll stop analyzing, I suck at stats anyway =P

Btw I think the Queens seats at Boterell at really cool! They swirl and everything! Is it like that for all the other buildings? Hehee....

Haha - unfortunately no swivel chairs in most of the other buildings. From what I understand though, you'll have (all?) of your classes in Botterel if you come here for med, so you'll be able to swivel as much as you want ;).

Haha - unfortunately no swivel chairs in most of the other buildings. From what I understand though, you'll have (all?) of your classes in Botterel if you come here for med, so you'll be able to swivel as much as you want ;).

I think the overlab is easily 2/3

Mcpherv!!!! Your supervisor is my teacher! He's an awesome prof! I think you might be marking my assignment for him too...hehe..and im doing some western blotting myself.

Btw Lostintime - the swivel chairs get annoying. you kind of have to maneuver around the chair to get in it when ur late for class...boo!

I think the overlab is easily 2/3

Mcpherv!!!! Your supervisor is my teacher! He's an awesome prof! I think you might be marking my assignment for him too...hehe..and im doing some western blotting myself.

Btw Lostintime - the swivel chairs get annoying. you kind of have to maneuver around the chair to get in it when ur late for class...boo!

Yeah, I'd buy 2/3 - I think last year it might easily have been something like 4/5 though. Could be completely off base, though.

Yeah, he's a GREAT guy, and I was lucky to end up with him as my supervisor. Haha - no, I'm not the one marking the assignment (thats another one of the 3 of us) - I'm TAing the 4th year student in our lab.

Yeah, I'd buy 2/3 - I think last year it might easily have been something like 4/5 though. Could be completely off base, though.

Yeah, he's a GREAT guy, and I was lucky to end up with him as my supervisor. Haha - no, I'm not the one marking the assignment (thats another one of the 3 of us) - I'm TAing the 4th year student in our lab.

Ah i c..if the 4th year student is a girl i think i know who she is then..what a small world

You guys have TA's for 4th year projects? My PI is too busy for me...well not so much too busy, but just that he is a "big idea" guy, and I only consult him for general big direction questions or e-mail. Most of the other time, I work on my own or consult 2-3 people that are involved with my project. But I don't really report to anyone anymore ahahhaa.....so unstructured.

You guys have TA's for 4th year projects? My PI is too busy for me...well not so much too busy, but just that he is a "big idea" guy, and I only consult him for general big direction questions or e-mail. Most of the other time, I work on my own or consult 2-3 people that are involved with my project. But I don't really report to anyone anymore ahahhaa.....so unstructured.

well..maybe not TAs, but the "in-lab" supervisors and "go-to" guys

Ah I see.

Is it just me, but why is this forum so addictive during/post interview season? My post count has gone up so drastically..and my work productivity has gone down exponentially. Gahhh....It's like some hidden force propelling me to check here every couple of hours. I must stop this if I don't want to fail undergrad lol...(and why is this post filled w/ so much physics...)

Well, I spose I'm *technically* a lab demonstrator, but it amounts to basically the same thing.

Swivel chairs are incredible, but only when they're roomy. I hate the unroomy kind that you have to try to sit in when you come in late and everyone's already seated and have to put your bag and coat away!

LOL you guys are thinking about this waaay too much!! I can only imagine what you will all do when exams are done and you have nothing to distract you.... you'll all go mad.

That's gonna be a fun time... lol

LOL you guys are thinking about this waaay too much!! I can only imagine what you will all do when exams are done and you have nothing to distract you.... you'll all go mad.

Well, I'll be cleaning this disgusting house for like the first 3 days after my exams are done on April 30th, and then shortly after, I'll be going out of town for about 10 days to see my friends...by the time I'm back, it should be close to May 15th.

Archived