Premed 101 Forums

08/09 Applicants

Well you never know...

ie: NOSM changed their GPA policy this year to strictly cumulative rather than weighted... changing my GPA from a ~3.7 to a ~3.1 for the purposes of applying to their school...

Mac has been hinting for years that they'll start using verbal or develop a test of their own but haven't..

Toronto I believe as of only last year dropped their pre-reqs

So when one's (my own) application will likely come down to Western or Queens it's nice to know that nothing is changing via GPA calculation or that business...

Well you never know...

ie: NOSM changed their GPA policy this year to strictly cumulative rather than weighted... changing my GPA from a ~3.7 to a ~3.1 for the purposes of applying to their school...

Mac has been hinting for years that they'll start using verbal or develop a test of their own but haven't..

Toronto I believe as of only last year dropped their pre-reqs

So when one's (my own) application will likely come down to Western or Queens it's nice to know that nothing is changing via GPA calculation or that business...

Fair enough! I was just curious. Good luck with the apps, they are fun times... lol

I've been hearing a possible change in MCAT requirements for non-rural students? I'm assuming its gossip but the bio cut-off might be changed from 10 to 11?

If it is, I'm out of the running for UWO.

This year's MCAT cutoff was 9/10/11/Q P/V/B/WS for non-SWOMEN students. It's entirely possible it could change for the next cycle.

I've been hearing a possible change in MCAT requirements for non-rural students? I'm assuming its gossip but the bio cut-off might be changed from 10 to 11?

It's not a matter of being rural or not... it's whether you are from Southwestern Ontario or not.... (went to a high school in a region Western considers SW)

If you don't meet the criteria the MCAT cutoff this year was 11 BS, 10 VR, 9 PS and a Q in writing.

Traditionally it had been 10,10,10 Q.....

If I had to guess it'll go back to that.... but there's a decent chance it could be the same as it was this year or something similar... but it all depends on the pool

good luck

Cut-offs will be set at a meeting of the admissions committee early in 2009. Until then any rumours are just that -- rumours.

How would you feel if you decided not to apply based on these rumours, and then the cut-offs didn't change?

Cut-offs will be set at a meeting of the admissions committee early in 2009. Until then any rumours are just that -- rumours.

How would you feel if you decided not to apply based on these rumours, and then the cut-offs didn't change?

Haha, I have definitely learned NOT to pay attention to rumours about applying for medical school. Its a big grapevine out there and I swear, most pre-med applicants have no idea whats going on until the universities release this information after acceptances have been mailed out.

I have 10B,11P,10V,S. Not stellar for an OOP but not poor by any means. I'll be applying to UWO for sure... this is my undergrad university. Western pride =) lol

Archived