Premed 101 Forums

Kill the Radio: Suggestions for Listening Material

seeking1

gold guns girls - metric

new metric album is solid.

LOVES the new metric. Have it in my car at the moment.

We saw them last year and were reallllly close to the front. A buddy of mine swears that he saw Emily Haine's nipple

edit: here's what I've been listening to lately:

Sigur Ros - Gobbledigook: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJuDE8heHRI

Pinback - Penelope:

John Frusciante - God

this one is from his new album the Empyrean, which is siiiiick

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's spice this thread up a bit. Post a youtube link to your favorite song of all time (studio or live). If you're really having trouble thinking 'of all time' then pick one that applies for right now.

Mine is:

Sigur Ros - Ny Batteri

skip the first 2 minutes if you can't stand the noise of a violin on guitar

edit: cool note about the making of this song. The band was going for a walk downtown in some city in Iceland when they found a beat-up old symbol thrown out in the trash and decided to take it back to the studio and include it in a song. I don't think they're using it in this version, but the guy cranks on it in the studio version, i love it

Ooooh that's too hard.... my favorite song is a product of situation and time lol.

But for good measure...

- Menomena - Wet and Rusting

- Beirut - Nantes

or

- Arcade Fire - Neon Bible/Wake Up.

First of all..... if you haven't seen La Blogoteque website and les Concerts a emporter you're missing out if this is your type of music..... http://www.blogotheque.net/spip.php?page=cae_all〈=en (lol I just realised you can make the site english) and they have acts like Sigur Ros, Sufjan Stevens, Bloc Party among others.

This french group that gets good indie and some bigger bands to perform songs in the strangest places/methods.

For the Arcade fire video it's two songs.... the first in an elevator and then them performing wake up in the middle of the crowd.

The video is 15 minutes long so if you're strapped for time

at 4:00 minutes the start playing neon bilbe in an elevator

at 8:30 they start playing wake up in the middle of the crowd

at if your really strapped for time.... at 12:00 minutes and on it's amazing.

These performances make these my favorites, a bands 5th best song can be there best depending on the performance in my opinion.

As for just one straight up song like NewfieMike requested opposed to my top 100 which I seem to be doing lol...

arghhh The National - Mistaken for Strangers

First of all..... if you haven't seen La Blogoteque website and les Concerts a emporter you're missing out if this is your type of music..... http://www.blogotheque.net/spip.php?page=cae_all〈=en (lol I just realised you can make the site english) and they have acts like Sigur Ros, Sufjan Stevens, Bloc Party among others.

Oh man..I'm going to end up spending all day on this site :P

Ooooh that's too hard.... my favorite song is a product of situation and time lol.

But for good measure...

- Menomena - Wet and Rusting

- Beirut - Nantes

or

- Arcade Fire - Neon Bible/Wake Up.

This french group that gets good indie and some bigger bands to perform songs in the strangest places/methods.

For the Arcade fire video it's two songs.... the first in an elevator and then them performing wake up in the middle of the crowd.

The video is 15 minutes long so if you're strapped for time

at 4:00 minutes the start playing neon bilbe in an elevator

at 8:30 they start playing wake up in the middle of the crowd

at if your really strapped for time.... at 12:00 minutes and on it's amazing.

These performances make these my favorites, a bands 5th best song can be there best depending on the performance in my opinion.

As for just one straight up song like NewfieMike requested opposed to my top 100 which I seem to be doing lol...

arghhh The National - Mistaken for Strangers

neon bible in an elevator is so cool! I saw that a few months ago. My favorite is the guy ripping the pages out of the magazine

Wow, Law and supafield have totally dominated this thread.

Here is my contribution:

Girl Talk.....saw him perform last fall and it was AMAZING:

For chilling and relaxating, anything Radiohead. Their latest "In Rainbows" album is sick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdrCalO5BDs

I saw someone mention Gotan Project. "Vuelvo Al Sur" is probably one of my favourite all-time songs:

haha, so ya, I have pretty diverse musical tastes :P

Wow, Law and supafield have totally dominated this thread.

Haha, this prompted me to go back and look at what I've said....

I recommended La Blogotheque months ago and mentioned Wolf Parade at Mount Zoomer on nearly 3 occasions lol.

I loooooove good music.

and I take back The National as my favorite song/band...... Boxer is one of the best cd's of all-time in my opinion and I heard it for the first time driving through the Adirondacks on the way to Lake Placid and it was possibly the best possible setting to hear it in. However......

My real favorite song:

Stars and Sons - Broken Social Scene

This is THE song that turned me on to Broken Social Scene, the first song that I loved that wasn't consistently on the radio or an 102.1 the edge countdown and subsequently lead to almost any other band I like today.

Also, BSS are great live... so much going on....

Since they've started releasing the "featuring" albums I loved Kevin Drew's but not Brandon Canning's as much.

My real favorite song:

Stars and Sons - Broken Social Scene

This is THE song that turned me on to Broken Social Scene, the first song that I loved that wasn't consistently on the radio or an 102.1 the edge countdown and subsequently lead to almost any other band I like today.

Also, BSS are great live... so much going on....

Since they've started releasing the "featuring" albums I loved Kevin Drew's but not Brandon Canning's as much.

I love "Gang Bang Suicide" by Broken Social Scene feat. Kevin Drew. Makes you just want to stop and think.

supafield... I am SOOOOO glad that I got those links to la blogotheque AFTER my final exams were over. I spent most of my afternoon watching those Take Away Shows yesterday. Absolutely incredible!!! My favorite of the set so far is Fleet Foxes.

I also find it refreshing that there are people out there who share my appreciation for good music. I have the entire BSS discography on my mac, and I actually love the "featuring" brendan canning!! Saw the video for "churches under the stairs" a few weeks ago and loved it.

Archived