Premed 101 Forums

Any recent activities from UBC front?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
**** this ****. FOR TWO straight years I was above the OOP cut-off they've set for this year, and now for the first time, I'm BELOW 40. I give up on UBC. How does one go from being a 0.1 away from the cut-off last year, to MANY points below? For what it's worth, I've done a lot MORE in the past year. I spent days on my essay and polishing my app.

it can be baffling. my "diversity" score went from 4ish/5 to 1ish/5 from one application to the next. the scoring can seem pretty arbitrary.

it can be baffling. my "diversity" score went from 4ish/5 to 1ish/5 from one application to the next. the scoring can seem pretty arbitrary.

For two straight years, my score was pretty consistent. They shafted me by a fraction of a point each time (I'm OOP). This year, I'm well below the cut-off and to top it off I've had some really great experiences in the past year. Where's the consistency now? Seems like they wanted to "mix" it up a bit. I feel like they just don't want me and are playing some sort of game (i.e. giving random scores to justify a rejection). Just ****ing stamp it somewhere on the application that I'm not what they're looking for and let me move on.

I'm done with UBC forever. I feel like applying as an OOP is futile (for me anyway). I just don't have what they're looking for, but congrats to those OOP'ers who do. I can't believe I'm *****ing and whining this much...

Congrats to everyone interviewing! Good luck at the interviews! Book your flight tickets ASAP as aircanada has a sale going on right now.

Don't worry Jixe; hope you find better luck elsewhere.

Unfortunately, I am also an OOP that did not get an interview.

Congratulations to the other OOP's.

Enjoy the sunshine and beauty of the west coast when you fly there. Vancouver's so nice.

Thanks. Best of luck to you as well. Truth be told, I was super excited to fly out west. I think I'll do it for the hell of it anyway.

I just hate that UBC tries SO hard to seem objective, but I'm sure the scores are partially arbitrary. "This OOP applicant is aiiiight, but this one's better. Let me give this one 3/6 and call it a day." You spend a year improving that section, and chances are your efforts are futile or you fall elsewhere. Props to UofT for reviewing the applicant as a whole (akin to UBC), but not bewildering its applicants. Anyway, I should stop before someone calls the whaaaaambulance.

Archived