Premed 101 Forums

moonlighting

What is the pre-requisite credentials required for moonlighting? General license?

I've heard of psych, derm, anesthesia, and rad residents in BC moonlighting at local clinics and ICU, after getting their general license.

Also IM residents seem to be able to moonlight even though they don't have a general license.

How about other provinces that don't grant general license such as Ontario. Can residents still moonlight?

I imagine the requirements would vary by location but would likely include approval from one's program, the prospective employer, as well as the college of physicians and surgeons. BC and Nfld are the provinces I have heard of that offer general licenses to postgraduate trainees, not sure about any others. Yes, in Alberta residents moonlight without a general license; Ontario has only recently begun to implement this as a pilot project.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the replies,

it seems like Ontario has a pilot program where resident can moonlight in their own specialties.

many residencies have participated: ER, IM, rad, etc

how much can you expect to make before-tax on moonlighting, say 2 weekend days (Sat and Sun)?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Hmmm interesting. So in a nut shell can you apply for these in or about your last year of residency?

I just looked at my own program's requirements, and it looks like PGY-3s and above can apply to moonlight in the ICU, clinics and chronic care settings, and PGY-4s and above can moonlight in the ER.

http://www.restrictedregistrationontario.ca/guidelines.html

• 2 months later...

No more moonlighting in BC for those who do the required rotations in PGY1. So, current PGY1s and future years will not be able to obtain a general license.

In the past, if your residency had a general rotating first year, you were eligible to get a general license after passing the LMCC Part 2 and completion of the PGY2 year.

Basically, you could practice as a GP (walk-in clinics usually).

Residents who do two months of ICU (gen surg, internal medicine, anesthesia) can still do overnight in-house call shifts and get paid (the golden pillow).

Also, fellows in internal medicine, once they complete their PGY4 year, can moonlight as general internists (ie. step-down units at low acuity hospitals, etc)

• 3 weeks later...

I will likely get my general license next year when I can apply for it. I don't know if I'll ever have the time to use it.

I know of one PGY5 OB/GYN resident who sees walk-in patients on weekend. During the week, her GP / FP colleagues refer "gyne" related problems to her on the weekend. The women are more than happy to come back and get their IUDs inserted, paps, etc done then.

What my colleagues have done in my residency is see patients as a GP consult. In fact, seeing patients as GP consult pays more than a regular consult in my specialty once you've completed the residency!

how much can you expect to make before-tax on moonlighting, say 2 weekend days (Sat and Sun)?

It depends but for example at one of the hospitals in Vancouver, ICU clinical associates (ie. those who cover the ICU at night) make around $80/hour. So for the 5pm-7amish shift, that's around $1100 for the night.

• 1 month later...
i googled 'MPC canadian taxes' and got a whole lot of garbage.

what does it stand for? marginal propensity to consume?

Sorry, it stands for Medical Professional Corporation. You'll still need to pay some tax, but you can save a significant amount, especially if you have kids, a spouse, or parents. Here's a description of how they work in Ontario. I don't know if other provinces have similar rules.

Only problem with an MPC is that as soon as you take money out for your personal use, it gets taxed at the full effective personal rate (you can claim some things as business expenses, but not a mortgage, which is the biggest expense in the first years). So it's not so useful for younger individuals who are going to need most of their earnings to live on, pay a mortgage, etc. but more for those later in their careers who can see their money grow at a lower tax rate.

Yup. There is a federal tax credit for dividends, which helps somewhat, but the main benefit from paying a dividend is that you split income, and hence are taxed at a lower marginal rate. Example:

- you make 200,000 which would be effectively taxed at 40% with your spouse making 0, tax is 80,000, vs

- you pay a dividend of 100,000 to your spouse leaving 100,000 for yourself, effective tax rate is 30% for each of you, tax is 60,000 total

It's a bit more complicated as money retained in the corporation is taxed only at the corporate rate, and can be held there or in business-owned assets, but to use it for personal needs it needs to be withdrawn from the corporation, at which point it gets taxed again to make the tax payable roughly equal to the personal tax rate. Also, you can only pay your family members a salary which is commensurate with the work they provide for the corporation (ie. can't pay 100k for secretary services), and I believe there is a cap on dividends as well, though I'm not sure.

Archived