Premed 101 Forums

MMI Prep

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if you guys had any suggestions about how to prepare for the MMI. I'm coming from OOP and so can not attend those MMI prep sessions. The questions seem very abstract and open ended. What is it that they are looking for exactly?, etc. Also, does anyone have a suggestion about a resource to use in order to get more familiar with the canadian healthcare system, specifically alberta?

Thanks

There's always a lot of talk on these forums about how you have to know all these excruciating details about the healthcare system. I was NEVER asked about healthcare last year. In fact, I was never asked a single question which tested my knowledge of ANYTHING. They were all questions about my own experiences (non-MMI) or abstract scenarios for which you were not required to know anything beyond the info given to you. Don't stress about this stuff, honestly. If you are going to dwell on healthcare, you'd be better off doing smth like researching other professions so you can eloquently discuss why you want to be a doctor and not some other health professional.

I went to an MMI info session put on by the man organizing admissions here at U of A (Dr. Bagnel), and he said you will have 2 questions in each of these categories: Ethical decision making, Critical thinking, Communication skills, and Knowledge of the Healthcare system. He said they are trying to make all questions in the format: Here is a scenario (<100words), and ask as specific question (ie what would you do here?). Knowledge of the healthcare system is expected to be of a level that anyone who is remotely interested in the health sciences field ought to know, i.e. no need to know the ins and outs of how healthcare buraecracy works.

It might be useful to get familiar with things like wait times (and strategies to reduce these), doctor shortages, and privatization. I came across a few questions in my MMIs last year that were related to these topics and having some healthcare knowledge would have been useful! They were definitely mostly "what would you do" types of questions though, not too much you can do to prepare for those, other than try to get used to talking out loud for 8 or so minutes and organizing your thoughts

I went to an MMI info session put on by the man organizing admissions here at U of A (Dr. Bagnel), and he said you will have 2 questions in each of these categories: Ethical decision making, Critical thinking, Communication skills, and Knowledge of the Healthcare system. He said they are trying to make all questions in the format: Here is a scenario (<100words), and ask as specific question (ie what would you do here?). Knowledge of the healthcare system is expected to be of a level that anyone who is remotely interested in the health sciences field ought to know, i.e. no need to know the ins and outs of how healthcare buraecracy works.

any comment by Dr Bagnel on the other two non-MMI stations? (speaking of which...maybe i should see if that interviewee website is up yet!)

According to Dr. Bagnall, the two non-MMI stations will be at the beginning and the end of your 10-station rotation (I think it's 10?). They are basically general open discussion / interaction stations.

The first of the two non-MMI stations is a warm-up station to get the candidates comfortable (or as comfortable as you can be!). The questions will very likely be, "Tell me about yourself", and "Why do you want to be a doctor?" Basically, these are questions that you should already have answers for and therefore be comfortable answering.

The last of the two non-MMI stations is more of a wrap-up / feedback station. The questions will be like, "So how do you you think you did?"

These stations aren't necessarily designed to evaluate for genius answers, but more to serve as 'red flags' stations. I think Dr. Bagnall said that the evaluation sheet for these stations will basically consist of something along the lines of "Do you feel comfortable around this patient? Yes / No. Explain. Is there anything that you're concerned about? Yes / No. Explain. Etc."

Lastly, as someone who has gone through this nerve-wracking process (and survived, albeit unexpectedly), all I can say is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! There honestly isn't really a right answer to any of the scenarios or questions -- you just need to guide the interviewer through your answer, explain every little bit of your reasoning, and speak eloquently.

Best of luck preppin'!!:P

Hi

So is the best way to practice for the abstract ones thru the examples they give? And it seems very hard to talk for 7-8 min on such vague quuestions, I'm concerned I won't have enough material

I had the same concerns, but I only had time left at 1 out of the 8 stations, and it was only about a minute.

According to Dr. Bagnall, the two non-MMI stations will be at the beginning and the end of your 10-station rotation (I think it's 10?). They are basically general open discussion / interaction stations.

The first of the two non-MMI stations is a warm-up station to get the candidates comfortable (or as comfortable as you can be!). The questions will very likely be, "Tell me about yourself", and "Why do you want to be a doctor?" Basically, these are questions that you should already have answers for and therefore be comfortable answering.

The last of the two non-MMI stations is more of a wrap-up / feedback station. The questions will be like, "So how do you you think you did?"

These stations aren't necessarily designed to evaluate for genius answers, but more to serve as 'red flags' stations. I think Dr. Bagnall said that the evaluation sheet for these stations will basically consist of something along the lines of "Do you feel comfortable around this patient? Yes / No. Explain. Is there anything that you're concerned about? Yes / No. Explain. Etc."

Lastly, as someone who has gone through this nerve-wracking process (and survived, albeit unexpectedly), all I can say is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! There honestly isn't really a right answer to any of the scenarios or questions -- you just need to guide the interviewer through your answer, explain every little bit of your reasoning, and speak eloquently.

Best of luck preppin'!!:P

It is 10 stations in total: 8 scenario based and 2 general 10 minute sessions (1 before the 8, and 1 after). Also, the general interview at the end will be with a different interviewer than at the start.

So if you drop the ball in the first one, you have a chance to redeem yourself.

I received a notice to re-send my confirmation since I didn't include the original email in the text (i.e. they didn't know what date/time I was). That was just today and I sent it Friday afternoon. So I wouldn't worry because it seems like they need a few days to go through 488 email confirmations...

I received a notice to re-send my confirmation since I didn't include the original email in the text (i.e. they didn't know what date/time I was). That was just today and I sent it Friday afternoon. So I wouldn't worry because it seems like they need a few days to go through 488 email confirmations...

Ahh, I did that too. Oh well, as long as she didn't reply to you with, "No Med School for you! Don't come back for 1 year!"

I guess it doesn't help that I sent mine on the 71st hour out of the 72 hours we got...

I got mine...and she took the time to answer a Q I had, as well.

Anyone else? I've still yet to hear, know I messed up the labelling of my pic, and am starting to get a touch nervous. Particularly seeing as the 2 week mark for booking my flight from the Yukon is fast approaching...

This place really needs a smiley that bites its nails...

Archived