Premed 101 Forums

MMI Prep

Getting back to the MMI prep, just curious... are we allowed paper + writing utensil for the MMI (are we allowed to take notes into the mmi station)?

Also, are some 'points' lost if we ask for or are offered prompting questions? (if so how many)? Is it better to stay quiet after we have said what we want to say or better to ask for a question?

Getting back to the MMI prep, just curious... are we allowed paper + writing utensil for the MMI (are we allowed to take notes into the mmi station)?

Also, are some 'points' lost if we ask for or are offered prompting questions? (if so how many)? Is it better to stay quiet after we have said what we want to say or better to ask for a question?

They'll give you a question if you look like you've run out of ideas - unless, of course, you had already covered all the prompting questions in your original answer (as happened with me at one station, lol). You don't have to ask them for it. I don't think they will give you a question unless you are done talking, either - they won't interrupt you.

I don't believe there are any "points" lost for being asked prompting questions.

I THINK we were given some scrap paper and a pencil. I never used them, though. You honestly won't have time. Plus you stand while reading your scenario, so it'd be hard to write, anyway.

Yes you get scrap paper and a pencil. I however did use it for calgary's interview. when I read the question, I wrote down my main points and also wrote down directions I'd like my response to do. Then while I was in there, I would look at my first point and talk for a few minutes. Then when that was done I'd check the next one, and so on. It helped to have an outline going in there. Also, at UofA, they expect you to be able to fill the 8 minutes without the use of a prompting question. Having said that, if you get to 6 minutes and are done, getting asked a prompting question or two that helps make your answer more complete is fine. If you end up having to use all 4 prompting questions and are still done before time runs out, and the prompting questions are given because it seems to interviewer that you have no idea what you are doing, that will be reflected poorly in your score. BTW, scoring is on a scale from 1-7 from "poor" to "excellent" or something like that. The directions to interviewers include "rate the interviewee on this scale considering: communication skill, knowledge of health care system, organizaiton of thought....etc. So, points are never "deducted", but if you do something disconcerning to the interviewer it may show up in that scaled score. Also, there is a comment box so interviewers can note anything they see as a "red flag".

Yes you get scrap paper and a pencil. I however did use it for calgary's interview. when I read the question, I wrote down my main points and also wrote down directions I'd like my response to do. Then while I was in there, I would look at my first point and talk for a few minutes. Then when that was done I'd check the next one, and so on. It helped to have an outline going in there. Also, at UofA, they expect you to be able to fill the 8 minutes without the use of a prompting question. Having said that, if you get to 6 minutes and are done, getting asked a prompting question or two that helps make your answer more complete is fine. If you end up having to use all 4 prompting questions and are still done before time runs out, and the prompting questions are given because it seems to interviewer that you have no idea what you are doing, that will be reflected poorly in your score. BTW, scoring is on a scale from 1-7 from "poor" to "excellent" or something like that. The directions to interviewers include "rate the interviewee on this scale considering: communication skill, knowledge of health care system, organizaiton of thought....etc. So, points are never "deducted", but if you do something disconcerning to the interviewer it may show up in that scaled score. Also, there is a comment box so interviewers can note anything they see as a "red flag".

Dr. Bagnall (who is organizing the MMI @ UofA) said all of this in his MMI Info session on Feb 23

Dr. Bagnall (who is organizing the MMI @ UofA) said all of this in his MMI Info session on Feb 23

That's correct...I am just summarizing what Dr. Bagnel said to us at the MMI information meeting, and he also stated that the information contained in the presentation wasn't secret, and he wanted to make the process as transparent as possible, and so I am passing this information along to help those who weren't there :)

thanks guys, its really helpful for us OOPs who do not have the resources to attend the info session

Was there anything else that was mentioned at the session that might help more?

A lot of the information that was presented was also available on the secure website you received access to with your invitation for interview email. Most of the extra stuff has been discussed here already...

there is nothing that you really NEED to know for the MMI. theoretically you could get through it without knowing anything. you "just" need to be able to think. of course background helps, but don't sweat too much about any one topic in particular. better to know a little about a lot than a lot about a little (sorry grad students ;))

there is nothing that you really NEED to know for the MMI. theoretically you could get through it without knowing anything. you "just" need to be able to think. of course background helps, but don't sweat too much about any one topic in particular. better to know a little about a lot than a lot about a little (sorry grad students ;))

You should pay more attention in class. What would the professionalism rep thing :rolleyes:

There's always a lot of talk on these forums about how you have to know all these excruciating details about the healthcare system. I was NEVER asked about healthcare last year. In fact, I was never asked a single question which tested my knowledge of ANYTHING. They were all questions about my own experiences (non-MMI) or abstract scenarios for which you were not required to know anything beyond the info given to you. Don't stress about this stuff, honestly. If you are going to dwell on healthcare, you'd be better off doing smth like researching other professions so you can eloquently discuss why you want to be a doctor and not some other health professional.

I think it's a good idea to have a basic knowledge of the CHA and basic AB HC. It helped me, as an oop applicant. Plus, knowing some basic ethics helps alot. Also, you may want to consider rural HC problems and strategies to improving that inequity.

Some people asked about the "abstract" questions, by which I assume you mean the 1st and last stations. For these, I'd prepare for them like you would a regular panel interview. But, definitely look at and consider the practice questions provided to you.

Hope this helps. God, I forgot how stressful this forum is. Eckh. Good luck, everyone! I'll see some of ya on the Sunday interviews! I'll be wearing a coloured set-leader shirt (no idea which) and a sport jacket. Feel free to ask me any questions if you spot me.

________

Islam advice

I think it's a good idea to have a basic knowledge of the CHA and basic AB HC. It helped me, as an oop applicant. Plus, knowing some basic ethics helps alot. Also, you may want to consider rural HC problems and strategies to improving that inequity.

Some people asked about the "abstract" questions, by which I assume you mean the 1st and last stations. For these, I'd prepare for them like you would a regular panel interview. But, definitely look at and consider the practice questions provided to you.

Hope this helps. God, I forgot how stressful this forum is. Eckh. Good luck, everyone! I'll see some of ya on the Sunday interviews! I'll be wearing a coloured set-leader shirt (no idea which) and a sport jacket. Feel free to ask me any questions if you spot me.

How will they know who you are when even I don't know who you are ;)

You should know, based upon the sport jacket. If that's not adequate, I'll put my handle on my nametag. ;)

Can I refer to you as superchargedman as opposed to the real name on your nametag? ;)

See you Sunday...maybe (with 80 candidates per session, who knows if you'll be my set leader!).

LL

Archived