Premed 101 Forums

How did your interviews go?

I have a theory that the actual answers don't mean too much at all. I think they are looking for other "factors"...confidence, composure, articulation, etc.

Your theory is rather ridiculous.

People, they don't need to write down much. A few quick notes while you're talking. After you leave, they discuss you. I imagine it is at that point that they quickly put together a more thorough opinion piece, taking into account their immediate impression and the few notes they made.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your theory is rather ridiculous.

People, they don't need to write down much. A few quick notes while you're talking. After you leave, they discuss you. I imagine it is at that point that they quickly put together a more thorough opinion piece, taking into account their immediate impression and the few notes they made.

Not as ridiculous as you might think. Even if it's not intended, it is definitely subconscious. It's really just basic interview psychology.

You posited that they were looking for something else. This is a conscious action. You have now decided to change your argument into the notion that there are other factors that will play a very strong, subconscious role. This is undoubtedly true. People are picked based on the image they portray, more so than what they actually say. But, and this is important, the answers to the questions help create the person's image. Yes, body language can convey a lot, but words create context and a better overall picture of the person.

You posited that they were looking for something else. This is a conscious action. You have now decided to change your argument into the notion that there are other factors that will play a very strong, subconscious role. This is undoubtedly true. People are picked based on the image they portray, more so than what they actually say. But, and this is important, the answers to the questions help create the person's image. Yes, body language can convey a lot, but words create context and a better overall picture of the person.

I didn't change my argument; I said "even if." Regardless, I agree with you to an extent.

is there a mod deleting my posts? I am not exposing anything about the questions and not violating confidentiality. What gives? my post and jochi's post are just not hsowing up.

Weird, I don't even remember what (if anything) I posted here in the last day or two, but I agree that there was nothing in your post that would warrant deleting it.

Well I saw the predeleted post (not sure who posted it, but it concerned what they were looking for in the interview) and I can see how it could give an extreme advantage to the industrious March interviewee.

yeah but every informed person knows what they are looking for, since a quick google search will actually reveal how much the school adheres to the framework.

• 2 weeks later...

Felt like it went well, however I also feel I missed getting a few things out there that I may have wanted to just because the questions were very focused.

But all in all, my first and only interview and with no goofs, so I'll take it as a win and hope for the best.

I felt mine went okay, nothing exceptional but just average?

Mine lasted for about 20 minutes, felt really short. I am not sure if it's good enough to get an offer on May 15 but hopefully not horrible enough to get rejected. It was my first time in Kingston and I absolutely fell in love with the city!!!

Does anyone know the ranking system after interviews? Is it 100% interview or are ABS, LoRs taken into consideration?

Mine went for about 35-40 minutes. There were some follow-up questions. I thought that it went okay. But yeah, the focused nature of the questions made it difficult for me to bring up all my experiences.

Again, I'm not so sure if I was able to stand out above like the 6 other interviewees vying for a seat in the class. It's just all so competitive.

Hmmm....interesting: Assuming that majority of the interviews took place this past weekend, the responses aren't quite quantifying it. Could this be that most lurkers interviewed this past weekend?

Maybe people are spending less time on premed101 because the interview season is almost done. The #s will shoot back again come May 15th.

Maybe people are spending less time on premed101 because the interview season is almost done. The #s will shoot back again come May 15th.

And it's exam season.

This forum seems basically dead compared to a month ago. People have just lost interest; there will definitely be a spike on May 15th then it'll die down again until September.

one lurker here LOL.

Actually I'm guessing that b/c Queen's was the last interview, pple are trying to wean off F5ing or command R ing the forums and concentrate on their exams OR relaxing. I mean reading the forum isn't going to make me get in :D

but anyway, my thoughts were:

-odd interview setup with the booklet and all

-oh.. pple.. don't TAKE the booklet afterwards LOL the admin have to chase u down

-i WISH they had follow-up questions

-oh.. they tell you to time yourself for 30min (which is HARD!!! the clock is BEHIND u)

-the interviewers were AWESOMELY nice

-the Kingston tour was great

-med students were nice

i did my undergrad at Queen's so i'm utterly biased, but I had a great weekend. hope u guys did too!

Archived