Premed 101 Forums

How did your interviews go?

I encountered the same thing, I'm pretty sure they WEREN'T supposed to ask follow-up questions in order to keep it as standardized as possible....they may have asked only if you didn't explain it clearly enough in your answer...

At the end of the day, I don't think anyone who wasn't asked more than the standard questions should think that it was a reflection of the interviewers' disinterest/your bad interview skills!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I encountered the same thing, I'm pretty sure they WEREN'T supposed to ask follow-up questions in order to keep it as standardized as possible....they may have asked only if you didn't explain it clearly enough in your answer...

At the end of the day, I don't think anyone who wasn't asked more than the standard questions should think that it was a reflection of the interviewers' disinterest/your bad interview skills!

I concur.

I believe that they were instructed to ensure that you would not be able to exceed the time limit at all costs.

They probably were not told not to ask follow up questions, because otherwise my interviewers and some of the others in this thread probably would not have. They might have been instructed to keep it brief, unless it's there is extra time.

But I definitely don't think it's a bad sign.

I thought my interview went pretty well... until I stepped outside and realized what time it was - It only took about ten minutes!

I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but I had a pretty good feeling when I was inside. Now I'm not so sure! Hopefully my writing sample gives them more to look at :)

I thought my interview went pretty well... until I stepped outside and realized what time it was - It only took about ten minutes!

I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but I had a pretty good feeling when I was inside. Now I'm not so sure! Hopefully my writing sample gives them more to look at :)

10 minutes??

Did they not ask you if you have any questions for them?

I'm sure it's not a bad sign if you had a good feeling.

10 minutes??

Did they not ask you if you have any questions for them?

I'm sure it's not a bad sign if you had a good feeling.

Somehow I found all the questions pretty easy to relate to... :S

It even felt like I was talking for a long time, lol now I'm starting to doubt the effeciency of my watch!

Yeah, I did have one question but that really didn't take a long time to answer.

But I must say, everyone was SUPER friendly... I really expected it to be a lot more nerve-racking. I wouldn't actually say it was "casual conversation" for me (after all, it is an interview to determine if you are fit for medicine). But I did really get the vibe that the interviewers wanted students to do well, based on their encouraging facial expressions. And meeting first-year med students before hand definately made me calm and natural.

Good luck to all those who have upcoming interviews!

yeah, and someone mentioned a couple of pages before that his/her interviewer told him/her to wrap up the answer after it went a little bit too long for the 1st question, so I don't think anybody's interview here would actually go over 30 mins. I was called earlier than the scheduled time too.

yeah, and someone mentioned a couple of pages before that his/her interviewer told him/her to wrap up the answer after it went a little bit too long for the 1st question, so I don't think anybody's interview here would actually go over 30 mins. I was called earlier than the scheduled time too.

Hmmm... Maybe I was called in earlier than my actual time of 3:25pm, and that's why I was shocked when I noticed the time was only about 3:35 when I got out!

that is probably what happened, my watch said 3:10 when I left and I panicked for a second since I was supposed to finish at 3:25, but then I realized that they had called me in at 2:40ish instead of 2:45...I think most interviews were running earlier than the schedule...

Seriously ?! I felt like I was being chased after each response I gave....though it was good since hopefully they got to know me better. My interview was actually rather long, I guess all that chasing added up, but I was the last one to be interviewed so maybe they were not in such a rush after all.

Experience at Queens : Students are very very friendly! And simply fabulous :)

I love how it seemed like it was just an interview to pry info out of us. All that stuff: firm handshake, eye contact, etc, was thrown out the window it seems. Although communication may have been one of things tested throughout. I got no follow up questions whatsoever either. None.

wow young n ambitious, how did yours manage to go over 30 minutes? That is astounding.

It wasn't my best performance--but it could have been worse.

I think my interview was on the longer end of the spectrum (25min? who knows). I don't know if that's necessarily a good thing, though.

Fellow interviewees and medschool students were quite friendly. It was really nice to chat to other people in the waiting room. That helped me relax alittle.

The city and campus was absolutely beautiful. I found the presentation after lunch to be really convincing. Queen's seems like a great place.

Hope.

Best of luck to you all.

I think how your interview will go largely depends on your interviewer. Mine today went for a full 40 minutes and I received many responses to what I was saying. Best of luck to those interviewing at the end of the month!

I agree with the statements that the interview weekend was very well put together. The Megalos dinner, Martini party, and speakers and video presentation were great. The students were all very helpful and really extolled the virtues of Queen's. The interviewees were all pretty cool, too. It's funny that many of must probably met and have now returned to anonymity online.

My interview experience was great (from my perspective, anyways). The student and faculty member were very pleasant and there was much informal chit-chat throughout, in addition to the many follow-up questions and easy-going conversational style. I got a lot of verbal and non-verbal feedback and laughs. I'm hoping these were all good things! I think my interview ran 20 minutes or so.

Overall, a great experience.

I'm a little confused. My interviewers said that they were told they are not allowed to ask any follow up questions and such. But from some of the posts here, it seems some of you had conversations with the interviewers instead of them reading the question to you and you answering....:confused:

As for the time, mine also took 20 minutes and I am not sure if that is a good or bad thing- it seems it's variable and I could say I gave sufficient information in a concise manner or that I could've gave more detail since I had more time.. ?

Whether the interviews are all doing it the same or not you have to figure they were trained with a marking rubric and a concept of what type of score is average vs. exceptional.

So either way they conduct the interview, each interview team will likely be consistent for all their interviews and you'll still be getting marked relative to your performance on their individual perceptions of bad, average, good and so on.

I wouldn't worry about it... if you performed well for the opportunity you were given you shouldn't be any worse off than someone doing well with interviewers that gave feedback.

Meh, the interview experience kind of sucked. I don't think it was unfair or anything, but I can't believe I spent money on travel and a hotel to answer 6 standardized questions; they might as well just have us send in essays instead. Compared to other schools I've been to, the Queen's interview process was really lame IMO.

Yeah, they really should just let you send in essays. It's basically the same thing. I guess they can check if you pick your nose while talking to people, or sneer at everyone. But hell, that's a lot of time and money wasted to screen out the 1% of people who may do that.

Archived