Premed 101 Forums

How did your interviews go?

Up to 2007, Queen's and Western were very much synched on cutoffs. That meant most people interviewing at one were interviewing at the other. It was last year that Queen's went off the deep end with the WS, and Western did not. All of a sudden, plenty of people had only one or the other, not both. More unique students were added to the mix. The waitlist movement last year was almost non-existent.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, for this year what was the cut-off for Queens? I think that this year, most ppl interviewing at Queen's would also have an interview at Western? I think they have similar cut-offs with Queen's having lower scores for the MCAT. I think last year Queen's had that R or S cutoff for writing which made the interviewees from Western and Queen's different. However this year the WS is back at Q, so maybe more overlap between the two schools and more waitlist movement

I am going to say that the 67 offers will hold.

Now I will say that it is in fact better than 167/760, and here's where this analysis gets tricky to understand. First off, the 67 are offers sent, which means that when you say your odds are 167/760, you are assuming that everyone has stayed on the waitlist and has not dropped out. Lets look at school xyz who had 20 interviewees. There are 5 seats and of the 20 interviewees, 10 will be waitlisted, and 5 rejected post interview.

1 Offered

2 Offered

3 Offered

4 Offered

5 Offered

6 WL all the way down to 15.

Say that 6,7,9, and 11, get accepted at school ABC come may 15th, they love it, and drop out of the list. Now the ranking is:

1 Offered

2 Offered

3 Offered

4 Offered

5 Offered

Now June rolls around, applicants 3,4,5 get into school def. They will reject their acceptances. At this time, 10 gets off the waitlist somewhere else, and drop out. Now the offer goes to the next ranked people, which are 10,11,12

1 Offered

2 Offered

3 Offer refused

4 Offer refused

5 Offer refused

10 Offer extended

11 Offer extended

12 Offer extended

In this model, the chances of getting in were a lot better. Of course if you are higher on the list, there are less people in front of you to drop out, but these people may have been good interviewers and got offers right off the bat, so while you have less people ahead of you, they may have a better chance to drop out individually. Also if you are looking at two schools, considering those that drop from the waitlist may end up in you doublecounting. IE applicants 6,8,9 may have increased your chances at schools xyz in this case, but would have dropped your chances at abc if you were on that WL too. Hope that gives you a little more hope! :D

I said it, but didn't mean it like that. They just told me they'd remind me if I was going too long on an answer, so I could wrap it up. Not that they're Simon Cowelling your ass.

Yeah but I just got that from another buddy of mine from mac health sci who interviewed. He said they had poker faces, asked for stuff, and were pretty apathetic to it all. He wondered if all interviews were like that, and I said no it isn't. I thought it was specific to one group of interviewers, but it seems that is the case. And I was wondering why others were mentioning something about the "timing". Nice Simon reference.

o btw. did your interviewers write down stuff as you talked?

I noticed my student wrote like 2 words after my 1st question and then drew an arrow straight through all the way to the next question.

OMGZ I'M GONNA GET REJECTED!

LOL.

I couldn't see what they wrote, unfortunately.:rolleyes:

Yeah but I just got that from another buddy of mine from mac health sci who interviewed. He said they had poker faces, asked for stuff, and were pretty apathetic to it all. He wondered if all interviews were like that, and I said no it isn't. I thought it was specific to one group of interviewers, but it seems that is the case. And I was wondering why others were mentioning something about the "timing". Nice Simon reference.

My interviewers were neither fawning over me nor being apathetic (or douchey, like last year, lol). I thought it was perfect.

Up to 2007, Queen's and Western were very much synched on cutoffs. That meant most people interviewing at one were interviewing at the other. It was last year that Queen's went off the deep end with the WS, and Western did not. All of a sudden, plenty of people had only one or the other, not both. More unique students were added to the mix. The waitlist movement last year was almost non-existent.

Queen dropped back down their WS requirement (I think that is the general belief now), so I wonder if once again the schools will be similar.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm pretty sure they're told to remain stone-faced at all times. My doctor interviewer smiled maybe a handful of times.

My two interviewers were actually really friendly. Both of them nodded and smiled for all of my answers. It was really encouraging because I wasn't second guessing myself the entire time. Although afterwards all of the first year students told me that if they could have chosen one MD to interview with it would have been the Dr I ended up with.

I was also told that the interviewers don't know who they will be interviewing. There is just a pile of papers that have been shuffled with the names of all of the interviewees for the current time slot and the interviewers just take the next paper.

My two interviewers were actually really friendly. Both of them nodded and smiled for all of my answers. It was really encouraging because I wasn't second guessing myself the entire time. Although afterwards all of the first year students told me that if they could have chosen one MD to interview with it would have been the Dr I ended up with.

I was also told that the interviewers don't know who they will be interviewing. There is just a pile of papers that have been shuffled with the names of all of the interviewees for the current time slot and the interviewers just take the next paper.

Which one was it? (pm- possibly......if this isn't confidential)

My two interviewers were VERY different, the physician seemed pretty quiet and laid-back, but the wed student was very excited and he nodded a lot.

I am NOT a fan of the standardized questions because if one of the interviewers hears something they like, they don't have the option of asking you more about it!

They also told me that the interview was only going to be 30 minutes the second I walked in, not 40

This begs the question - was it a closed file or open file? I don't see the point of the sketch.

Agreed Alastriss... If the questions are set, and there are no follow up questions, what does it matter if they have your sketch or not.

Maybe to see when you mention an activity that it was actually listed... and they can see how long ago you did it if you don't make reference to dates?

Who knows.

maybe it was open file...

they could have just asked their standardized questions and then referred to your file in case you mentioned one of the activities in your interview and they wanted to confirm/check out what it was?

either way, because of the questions, it really didn't make a difference if they had you file or not :(

Agreed Alastriss... If the questions are set, and there are no follow up questions, what does it matter if they have your sketch or not.

Maybe to see when you mention an activity that it was actually listed... and they can see how long ago you did it if you don't make reference to dates?

Who knows.

I went out of my way to mention as many new things (ones that were not yet on the sketch at the app time) as possible, lol.

I went out of my way to mention as many new things (ones that were not yet on the sketch at the app time) as possible, lol.

OMSAS should really have a January update option.

I imagine it would make it a little more complicated for everyone, but I'm sure everyone has a few things they're doing during the year of their application.

Archived