Premed 101 Forums

How did your interviews go?

Went much better than last year, for sure (then again, it was only up from there, lol). I don't know if I blew them away or anything, but I would imagine my performance was at least at the average level. I liked all the changes they applied this year. The writing assignment was a nice way to get in the interview mode.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
maybe...im not sure...all i got was a standardized set of questions...they even gave me a booklet with all the questions they were asking...

so...i held the booklet...and they told me to flip the page after each answer i gave and they went on to read the next question....

man...i feel like this interview made me so sad...

anyone else interview today? can you tell me if this is the same for you?

Yes, I had the same overall experience, except for the "sad" part.

Even though my interview is tomorrow this kinda blows.

I spent $400 on a flight + $140 for a hotel room to interview for 20-25 minutes largely based on a handful of standardized questions to get a 1 in 7.6 odds of acceptance. :(

Plus it was super crappy today....grrr

That is the nature of the beast I suppose.

I spent $400 on a flight + $140 for a hotel room to interview for 20-25 minutes largely based on a handful of standardized questions to get a 1 in 7.6 odds of acceptance. :(

I spent even more...and now I'm like, all that the fact that I didn't perform badly means is that I won't be in the bottom, say, 200....lol, doesn't mean much, really, when you think about it.

I'm flying over from Europe where I'm currently doing an exchange so I think I win the money spending competition. Queens is my only interview too which makes things even better for me :P

Question - are you meant to get to the end of the question booklet? from what it sounds like you are - and if you finish them, you leave early!

Yeah, seems kind of silly to use standardized questions when interviewing 18000 people. I also loved the reactions of my interviewers. The doctor was completely stone-faced, the student seemed to be fawning over me the entire time.

Went better than last year, I suppose, since I wasn't nervous at all (hell, I don't expect to get in, so what's there to be nervous about?). Lovely school, as always. Probably third on my list of where I'd like to be next year. First in Canada, so that's something.

Itime, yeah, they have those standardized questions and they tell you that they want you to answer them all, and if you're taking too long per question, they'll cut you off. Very, very, very super standardized.

Also, the written portion was a farce. I felt like I was 12 again. "IF YOU WRITE ANYTHING OUTSIDE OF THE BOX, IT WILL NOT BE MARKED!" What nonsense. You asked me a question, let me write my answer in full instead of having to cut it down to fit inside the lines.

my two interviewers...didn't smile...they just looked at me...i may have bored them

that's why my interview was sad

yea, you need to finish answering the questions...i think i took a long time on my first...so they didn't look pleased...you prolly know if you are going overboard

i wonder how many people are accepted who interview on the first day as opposed to the later days?

o btw. did your interviewers write down stuff as you talked?

and, do the interviewers make a decision right after your interview...i think my interviewers did because they hurried me out of the room and went to talk to each other and took a while before calling out the next student

i wonder how many people are accepted who interview on the first day as opposed to the later days?

o btw. did your interviewers write down stuff as you talked?

and, do the interviewers make a decision right after your interview...i think my interviewers did because they hurried me out of the room and went to talk to each other and took a while before calling out the next student

I am sure they do some immediate evaluation, but not ranking of you versus other students. Otherwise how would they even remember you at the end of the day :)

Well if you'd like to take a glass half full approach... take waitlist into account....

based on old stats of total offers.. you're looking at 1 in 4-5 with waitlist movement.

I'm just wondering where you are getting that stat from? To increase your chances to a 1/5 odds of getting in, that would mean 260 people would have to reject their offers. To increase your chances to a 1/4, 360 people would have to reject. I dont mean to be the bearer of bad news or anything, but you will be lucky if 20 people reject their offers based on that stats from this year.

So, in the WORSE case scenario, even if 60 people reject. Your odds are still 1/7.

Don't lose hope, but dont give out false hope. It'll be a good mantra one day when you have patients ;)

good luck with interviews!

Wait... for 1/5 chance that means roughly 150 accepted for the 750 interviews. That would mean that only 50 people need to reject their offers not 260.... I think that's how it works, so its not really false hope. With waitlist movement at Queen's from around 50-100 people than you have a 1 in 4-5 chance

Haha...

760 interviews.... 100 spots...

If no one rejected a single offer of acceptance.... your odds at this point in the game are 1/7.6

a la http://www.afmc.ca/pdf/2009AdBk.pdf

from 2002-2007.... the smallest amount of waitlist movement Queen's had was 71 people. Those that at least received an offer beyond the initial 92 acceptances.

760 Interviews, 167 (92 registered + 4 deferred + 71 rejected) offers = 1/4.55 chance and that was with the slowest waitlist movement in those 5 years

The year with the most movement, there were 98 registered 10 deferred and 111 offers declined.... That's a total of 219 offers. If there had been 760 interviews that year.... odds 1/3.47

Maybe these numbers have decreased as Queen's gets away from Western's cutoff scores however.....

Even with Retsage's terribly skeptical 30 total wait list spots moved ~ 130 total offers = 1/5.85 people get in which is not too far off from 1/5....

So.... I'm not sure what your math was behind your 360 offer =1/4 odds theory..... as 360 is slightly less than half of 760..... while I may hold a BA I'm pretty sure my numbers are fair and I'm not peddling false hope as claimed.

Then again, all the hypothetical statistics in the world won't change what happens in the interview.... and nothing can be predicted this year with certainty of course.... Just trying to paint a brighter scenario than the 1/7.6 odds as some people like to pessimistically point out.

Yeah, I'm not getting his statistical breakdown either. But I think the waitlist movement, since Queen's and Western are using a completely different cutoff from one another, will be minute (like last year). Probably closer to 20-30 people, tops.

Why do you say that? Most people who turn down Queen's go to Western and vice versa? Seems a little unlikely.

Archived