Premed 101 Forums

Convicted of drinking and driving....implications for future practice?

It's a nature/nurture thing...put it this way, if we were all placed in poverty conditions, a lot of us would be criminals and would not be applying to medical school right now. Agree?

and wk: it is all about blanket statements, as someone else said. Bad move to make in an interview when they bring up ethical dilemmas.

I can agree with both of those statements.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, people have rough lives, and many services are overly bureaucratic and unaccessible, life's tough for many people... o well, guess we always have a choice, thanks spidy, or uncle ben, or whatever :P

Of course it is. ;) All those bad kids are just lazy and really want to enjoy the glamar of the thug life! (please note the massive amount of sarcasm lol)

Is it just me or alot of threads having arguments going on? lol, I think its good though to think about stuff like this.

I know I would never be where I am without the support of my parents. Its so sad that some people don't have that and are more predisposed to crime and other avenues of life at an early age.

nah almost every thread there is an argument but at least no one is flaming it.....yet

DUI really has no excuse. period

As a guy who had his father plowed into by a drunk driver resulting in him being permanently disabled, unable to walk, and with constant neurological problems, I would agree. Happened when I was 5 years old, and shaped the entire course of my family and childhood.

oh, and I was one of the lucky ones - my father lived.

As a guy who had his father plowed into by a drunk driver resulting in him being permanently disabled, unable to walk, and with constant neurological problems, I would agree. Happened when I was 5 years old, and shaped the entire course of my family and childhoold.

oh, and I was one of the lucky ones - my father lived.

Sorry to hear that -- its a sad story.

that sucks... what if someone was raised in a rough neighbourhood and had no choice but to get in trouble with the law (not the person) but wanted to change their life around

In general I'm extremely skeptical of the idea that someone finds themselves in a situation where they have "no choice" but to resort to crime in Canada. In some exceptional cases I might have sympathy for someone who resorted to crime but that would be an extremely rare occurance. For example, if someone was severely abused as a child and this led directly to criminal acts then I might have some sympathy for their situation. But 99.9% of the time I just don't buy the suggestion that someone who grows up under difficult circumstances has no choice but to commit crimes.

In the case of a DUI charge I don't see how someone's environment could ever be used as an excuse for driving drunk. No one can ever claim to "need" to drive drunk. Unless we're talking about some type of ridiculous situation such as a medical emergency where you're the only person who can drive someone to a hospital and happen to be intoxicated, etc., there's simply no excuse that you could come up with that would make any sense. If a DUI charge or other type of criminal record prevents someone from getting into medical school that's just too bad. There are literally hundreds of well qualified applicants who haven't made these types of mistakes and with such a competetive application process it just isn't realistic to expect the medical profession to accomdiate someone with a criminal record.

Only if you have an interviewer incompetent enough to not explore your reason for thinking. I'd stay off any ADCOMs if I were you, leviathan, if only to preserve the integrity of whatever school it is you're interviewing students for.

Watch out, with views like that, you'll never get past the interview...

These threads become particularly amusing when someone starts making comments like these. Are you somehow an expert in medical school interviews? Have you ever even attended a medical school interview? Referring to the interview process when it has nothing to do with anything in this thread is retarded, particularly when you appear to have little or no experience with interviews in the first place.

These threads become particularly amusing when someone starts making comments like these. Are you somehow an expert in medical school interviews? Have you ever even attended a medical school interview? Referring to the interview process when it has nothing to do with anything in this thread is retarded, particularly when you appear to have little or no experience with interviews in the first place.

If you're going to comment on a thread, it makes sense to read all the posts included, and not just those posted by a random forum user from the internet you intend to attack. Both of those posts (which are a small excerpt of what I have said in the discussion) are representative of me defending myself against the comment made against me, mostly for expressing the same views that you've shown above:

Lol these are the people who get weeded out in interviews.

Now that it's all laid out for you, maybe you can see what was going on here. Also, I don't see how my comments you've quoted indicate whether or not I've been to an interview, but you may notch this inability to figure out your thought process to me being 'retarded', as you've so gallantly put it. To answer your question, I'm not an expert on med interviews, but I know a thing or 2 about spotting a prick on the internet. Using that expertise, I think it's pretty obvious that you fit the bill.

I've got to commend you on your ability to take things out of context. The second post you've quoted there reeked of sarcasm, since the person who it was said to had views on the subject that mirrored my own. In fact, it was made in reference to how silly it was of Leviathan to say that my ideas would make me look like a poor applicant. Were you seriously not able to pick up on that sarcasm, or did you just see an opportunity to embrace your inner internet troll? Regardless of whether that post was made out of idiocy, or with an intent to invoke anger, it's quite clear you've made an ass out of yourself.

If you're going to comment on a thread, it makes sense to read all the posts included, and not just those posted by a random forum user from the internet you intend to attack. Both of those posts (which are a small excerpt of what I have said in the discussion) are representative of me defending myself against the comment made against me, mostly for expressing the same views that you've shown above:

Now that it's all laid out for you, maybe you can see what was going on here. Also, I don't see how my comments you've quoted indicate whether or not I've been to an interview, but you may notch this inability to figure out your thought process to me being 'retarded', as you've so gallantly put it. To answer your question, I'm not an expert on med interviews, but I know a thing or 2 about spotting a prick on the internet. Using that expertise, I think it's pretty obvious that you fit the bill.

I've got to commend you on your ability to take things out of context. The second post you've quoted there reeked of sarcasm, since the person who it was said to had views on the subject that mirrored my own. In fact, it was made in reference to how silly it was of Leviathan to say that my ideas would make me look like a poor applicant. Were you seriously not able to pick up on that sarcasm, or did you just see an opportunity to embrace your inner internet troll? Regardless of whether that post was made out of idiocy, or with an intent to invoke anger, it's quite clear you've made an ass out of yourself.

I already read the entire thread before posting. I chose to comment on the responses that I found most amusing, namely your reaction to a random comment that leviathan made about interviews. Leviathan's comment wasn't really related to the topic in this thread and wasn't even directed at you specifically, but instead of ignoring the comment you proceeded to respond defensively on a topic about which you clearly know nothing. Most of your posts had an unnecessarily hostile tone to them and any attempt at "sarcasm" in your responses did nothing to change the nature of your comments. Next time you might want to try to limit your responses to the topic in question rather than making comments that detract from the discussion in the thread and make you look like an idiot in the process.

Instead of ignoring the comment you proceeded to respond defensively on a topic about which you clearly know nothing. Most of your posts had an unnecessarily hostile tone.

Devari, would you rather be the pot or the kettle? At least I got a good laugh out of the irony in that excerpt, but at the end of the day it's... well... it's like ten thousand spoons when all I need is a knife.

I expect you'll be back to grace us with another of your sage-like wisdoms, and if you care about it so much, I'll let you have the last word, if only to lay this thread to rest. The only unfortunate thing is that the original argument that happened had been long solved, and the thread had moved back to a more constructive tone before you chose to bring the misunderstanding back up. Hopefully this thread will also recover from your hijacking.

In my opinion the point would be more that individuals who grew up in poverty, with few support systems, experienced abuse, etc. would have a reason that is more understandable for committing a crime not an excuse. Thus, this is more that circumstances mitigate the severity of the crime not that the individual is not responsible for their actions. For instance, most people would agree that an individual who steals a loaf of bread because they are hungry deserves a less severe consequence then someone who steals a tube of lipstick because they are bored even though each of these individuals stole items of similar cost and are both responsible for their actions. Thus, if I (hypothetically) have a criminal record for assault as a teenager because I fought with a gang member who was bothering my friends and family I would feel more understanding and be more likely to think the individual deserves a second chance then someone whose conviction of assault was for beating up a random stranger on the street. Thus I think circumstances are important to correctly interpret an action but that they are not an excuse. It seems like people are annoyed with the attitude that there are social and environmental factors beyond personal control that are important in human action because they feel people are using it as an excuse, but it reality it is more a reason, as they reason someone did an action are important.

For the DUI conviction, I agree that it is difficult to see an acceptable reason for doing so, but there is still a range of severity for this action (i.e. multiple DUI vs. a DUI because there was an emergency that occured while an individual was drinking and they drove to where they needed to be, I belive these actions were both wrong as the second individual could have called a taxi but I would have some more understanding for the second as a mistake once the individual served their sentence as opposed to an impingement on the individual's character).

Also, I think it is worrisome to make judgements on an individual based on actions in one portion of their life. People change, they are not static, and evidence that an individual has truly changed should allow previous infractions to be considered as less important (given that the inidividual has made reparations for previous actions). I realize it is a hard thing though, as if my family member had been injured by a drunk driver I doubt I could be so forgiving even if the individual had radically changed (i.e. fed the hungry, helped the homeless, saved lives, and took no money for it kind of change) and most often change is not so radical as this.

Devari, would you rather be the pot or the kettle? At least I got a good laugh out of the irony in that excerpt, but at the end of the day it's... well... it's like ten thousand spoons when all I need is a knife.

Sorry, but referring to an Alannis Morisette song is automatically an epic fail.

I expect you'll be back to grace us with another of your sage-like wisdoms, and if you care about it so much, I'll let you have the last word, if only to lay this thread to rest. The only unfortunate thing is that the original argument that happened had been long solved, and the thread had moved back to a more constructive tone before you chose to bring the misunderstanding back up. Hopefully this thread will also recover from your hijacking.

Since I don't really care about this topic one way or another it’s of no concern to me whether the discussion in the thread continues or not. I generally comment on posts I find amusing since I don't usually have a strong interest in any particular topic on these boards.

limit your responses to the topic in question rather than making comments that detract from the discussion

Followed immediately by:

Since I don't really care about this topic one way or another it’s of no concern to me whether the discussion in the thread continues or not.

Would you like a minute to get your story straight, Devari? In your first post, it seemed like you were trying to be an internet vigilante, but only 3 posts later, you claim to not really care. You should really try to keep your 'not giving a ****' attitude straight from your 'Captain Internet' intentions.

Also, by saying something is either 'retarded' or an 'epic fail' isn't really becoming of a person aspiring to be a professional (or, for that matter, someone who's graduated from middle school). Maybe you should go practice on the 4chan or slashdot forums for a while. If that's still too much, try posting underneath youtube videos, where you'll fit right in with the other 13 year olds. Come back when you learn to articulate your thoughts.

Would you like a minute to get your story straight, Devari? In your first post, it seemed like you were trying to be an internet vigilante, but only 3 posts later, you claim to not really care. You should really try to keep your 'not giving a ****' attitude straight from your 'Captain Internet' intentions.

Sorry, try again. Criticising your tone and responses isn't the same as actually caring about anything that goes on in these forums. Explaining to pre-meds that they're retarded is just a hobby of mine, it’s not something I actually care about.

Also, by saying something is either 'retarded' or an 'epic fail' isn't really becoming of a person aspiring to be a professional (or, for that matter, someone who's graduated from middle school).

When I comment that something is retarded it's usually because it is. Let me illustrate this concept with an example. Your comments, tone and attitude are 100% retarded. See? It's a very accurate and concise way of describing something.

Maybe you should go practice on the 4chan or slashdot forums for a while. If that's still too much, try posting underneath youtube videos, where you'll fit right in with the other 13 year olds. Come back when you learn to articulate your thoughts.

Actually, I think I articulated my thoughts very clearly.

• 3 weeks later...
What is love? Baby don't hurt me... don't hurt me... NO MOOOOORE! I too have noticed increasing hostility in the threads. We are all either being comedians or attacking each other. Sounds an awful lot like family. :eek:

Although I previously established that quoting an Alannis Morisette song is not beneficial and is actually contraindicated in most cases, quoting What is Love is acceptable according to recent clinical practice guidelines as long as the patient has no risk factors for coronary artery disease.

I think its the exams + countdown to May 15th. And does anyone else notice all these new clueless people wandering onto the general discussions board?

Oh, and a while back someone mentioned what if they grew up in a rough neighbourhood and had no choice but to get into trouble with the law (not The Law, but you know, the actual "law"). Well, I grew up in a rough neighbourhood of Toronto (Scarborough, represent!). It wasn't the roughest part but still pretty rough. Though I had my fair share of trouble, I managed to keep clear of the crap going on around me cause I had clear goals for my future (ie. not to end up stuck in the mess forever). So I don't see it as an excuse for a criminal record. Besides cops are understanding; they cut me a break on my first (and only) offense. Your criminal record gets cleared at 18y.o. anyways. So I don't see that as a valid excuse against the med school's background checks.

What is love? Baby don't hurt me... don't hurt me... NO MOOOOORE! I too have noticed increasing hostility in the threads. We are all either being comedians or attacking each other. Sounds an awful lot like family. :eek:

we are a motley crew of pirates and sea hags.

I think if people want to have fueds they schould schedule them on flash chat so we can come in and observe real time.

Although I previously established that quoting an Alannis Morisette song is not beneficial and is actually contraindicated in most cases, quoting What is Love is acceptable according to recent clinical practice guidelines as long as the patient has no risk factors for coronary artery disease.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsCXZczTQXo

I used to bust a move to this song in the 90's. Never actually new the Artist but i sure as hell isn;t Alannis Morrisette. Turns out it is Haddaway.

Bum bum bum bumbum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsCXZczTQXo

I used to bust a move to this song in the 90's. Never actually new the Artist but i sure as hell isn;t Alannis Morrisette. Turns out it is Haddaway.

Bum bum bum bumbum

Haha, just in the 90s? I'm busting out a groove to that song this very moment. OOOOOO yeah. I'm also wearing my sunglasses at night. :cool: That's right.

Haha, just in the 90s? I'm busting out a groove to that song this very moment. OOOOOO yeah. I'm also wearing my sunglasses at night. :cool: That's right.

I actually drove back from Ottawa once to toronto wearing sunglasses at night - forgot I had them on and I guess I eyes just adjusted.

yes I was that cool back then....ok not really.

Archived