Premed 101 Forums

Post-interview confidence indicative of actual result at all?

Dr.Mash

Could anyone who has been thru this before let us know if being confident in his/her good performance at the interviews, particularly MMI, turned out to coincide with the adcom's opinion? Has anyone who felt well after the interviews been bashed by a rejection, etc? Thanks in advance for any comments you can add.

I thought I did amazing on my MMI last year, and I really thought that I would at least be on the waitlist... but then I got rejected. My new strategy is not to have high hopes, that way it won't be so painful if I get rejected again!

I thought I did amazing on my MMI last year, and I really thought that I would at least be on the waitlist... but then I got rejected. My new strategy is not to have high hopes, that way it won't be so painful if I get rejected again!

Oh no! That must have been tough!

Hope for the best, expect the worst ;)

McMaster interviewee assessment forms, among a few other evaluated characteristics, ask at the end "Do you think the applicant is suitable for the profession of medicine?" This question is ought to be subjective and if it is weighted heavily, then it is a welcome back to the impression style of assessment of the panel interview, done at subconscious level to a great extent. The MMI's difference would then be averaging the impression impact among a number of interviewers, helped by the possibility of their greater diversity.

Guest tenbruggs87

I did the MMI last year at MAC and thought I did amazing... I got waitlisted... and stayed on the waitlist all summer... then had to come back and finish my 4th year... so who knows!

But I felt I didnt do amazing on my UWO one that just went by this past weekend so I hope I'm wrong again! :)

I could be wrong, but perhaps it can be the same way that really hard tests go.

The people who say they were easy do bad because they fell for the traps,

while those who found it hard do better because they realized what the test was really looking for

I do not agree with this...because if you are prepared well enough for any test, then it will always feel easier/go better than if you aren't prepared. Not to mention...the MMI style interviews are different than any test because you cannot truly prepare for them but take them as they roll.

If you found it hard, or don't feel you did well, I think it is more of a function of your personality. You are probably typically hard on yourself, expect a lot of yourself, and are constantly looking to improve so you better see your 'deficiencies'.

The best we can all do is let it all go, not stress about what cannot be changed, look forward to tomorrow. Tomorrow is one day closer to May 15th. hahahaha

JMHO :)

LL

I'm more on the side with LostLamb. The more time you spent preparing for a test (at least knowledge-based, i.e. objective), the smoother you can sail through it.

As fas as MMI, there is still a good deal of subjectivity on both sides of the table.

So far, we've had people who thought they did well but they were rejected, those who thought they did bad but they were accepted, and those who thought they did terrrible and terrible they did. Anybody, just somebody, please tell you felt confident and you did shine indeed!!! A-a-a-a-a-ah! I'm doomed... :)

So far, we've had people who thought they did well but they were rejected, those who thought they did bad but they were accepted, and those who thought they did terrrible and terrible they did. Anybody, just somebody, please tell you felt confident and you did shine indeed!!! A-a-a-a-a-ah! I'm doomed... :)

I thought I did well...I DID do well....

and then my GPA was too low.:( LOL.

• 2 weeks later...
I do not agree with this...because if you are prepared well enough for any test, then it will always feel easier/go better than if you aren't prepared. Not to mention...the MMI style interviews are different than any test because you cannot truly prepare for them but take them as they roll.

If you found it hard, or don't feel you did well, I think it is more of a function of your personality. You are probably typically hard on yourself, expect a lot of yourself, and are constantly looking to improve so you better see your 'deficiencies'.

The best we can all do is let it all go, not stress about what cannot be changed, look forward to tomorrow. Tomorrow is one day closer to May 15th. hahahaha

JMHO :)

LL

I must disagree that there is no way to prepare for the MMI. I did not prepare for my McGill interview IP last year and I was wait listed with very good stats (3.97 GPA, 34 MCAT). I spent the year preparing and I got in this year.

You can prepare for the ethical scenarios by reading an ethical text, ontariostudent who got into McGill as an OOP (quite the feat) mentioned reading Doing Right, and so I read it. I also asked to present for journal club at work two weeks in a row just before the interview to make sure my fear of public speaking would be diminished. I've been listening to White Coat Black Art (CBC radio program on medicine) and New England Journal of Medicine podcasts to get up to date with the state of medicine. I also read two texts on the history of medicine to understand the background of the profession, I would recommend History of Medicine, a Scandalously Short Introduction. To work on my communication skills I've been over-analyzing every situation in my life involving communication for the past year, and asking friends and co-workers for feedback.

You can prepare for the MMI, but it is not something you do the night before, it can take months, you are basically preparing to be a good doctor, which is something we should keep doing for the rest of our lives anyhow.

P.S. I thought I did well on my interview because I recognized the point of every scenario, what 'doctorly quality' they were looking for, and that was only because of the preparation.

You can prepare for the MMI, but it is not something you do the night before, it can take months, you are basically preparing to be a good doctor, which is something we should keep doing for the rest of our lives anyhow.

Perhaps it is better to say you cannot cram for the MMI? I agree there is very little you can do in say a week to radically improve your MMI performance. I view the test as a pretty accurate measure of your personal traits and if you spend months/years preparing for it you are not so much studying for a MMI test as actually changing yourself to be better period.

I must disagree that there is no way to prepare for the MMI. I did not prepare for my McGill interview IP last year and I was wait listed with very good stats (3.97 GPA, 34 MCAT). I spent the year preparing and I got in this year.

You can prepare for the ethical scenarios by reading an ethical text, ontariostudent who got into McGill as an OOP (quite the feat) mentioned reading Doing Right, and so I read it. I also asked to present for journal club at work two weeks in a row just before the interview to make sure my fear of public speaking would be diminished. I've been listening to White Coat Black Art (CBC radio program on medicine) and New England Journal of Medicine podcasts to get up to date with the state of medicine. I also read two texts on the history of medicine to understand the background of the profession, I would recommend History of Medicine, a Scandalously Short Introduction. To work on my communication skills I've been over-analyzing every situation in my life involving communication for the past year, and asking friends and co-workers for feedback.

P.S. I thought I did well on my interview because I recognized the point of every scenario, what 'doctorly quality' they were looking for, and that was only because of the preparation.

Congratulations!

You made some great points in your post. While practicing for the MMI might not be so helpful, there are many ways to prepare yourself for intelligently answering the questions and dealing with the scenarios. The only thing I will add to your advice is that it takes introspection- you might know you want to be a doctor, but you need to be able to articulate how you personally came to the decision and how it impacts on how you approach your life experiences.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure about Canadian schools, but for the US schools I interviewed at I was confident about how I did at my interviews and felt I would be accepted. I had three interviews, all of which I thought went very good. Sure enough, I got acceptances at all three schools.

My predictions for Canada schools I applied to:

Toronto - Accepted

Western - Waitlist

Ottawa - Withdrew (Didn't attend interview)

I thought my Toronto interview was absolutely great, definitely the best out of all the schools I interviewed at. I simply got an excellent vibe from it. My Western interview I don't think I did great on. I walked into it and didn't know that it was a closed file interview, which I was totally unprepared for. I don't think my responses to some of their questions were stellar by any means.

So from my experience, I think it is possible to predict somewhat. So far I'm 3 for 3, we'll see if I'm right about my Canadian school predictions on May 15th...

Archived