Premed 101 Forums

NSERC awards released

bj89

So both graduate and undergraduate NSERC are out, now?

Congrats, rmorelan.

There are loads of PGS-M/CGS-M awards (Master's) out this year (although they're all one-year terms). I know plenty of people who got them. Now the doctoral awards... those seem tougher.

There are loads of PGS-M/CGS-M awards (Master's) out this year (although they're all one-year terms). I know plenty of people who got them. Now the doctoral awards... those seem tougher.

Most people who get a PGS-M will get a PGS-D the next time around if they have a small amount of research productivity in their first year of grad school. A CGS-M indicates you have a good shot at, but not necessarily a guarantee of, a CGS-D the following year.

Just found out I won a graduate level nserc scholarship. Now backup plan C is in prepped and ready :)

that's weird that you JUST found out about grad NSERC... wasn't the deadline in october? (USRA deadline was like late jan or something)

congrats nonetheless :cool:

You can get provincial awards too. But you are gauranteed minimum funding from your supervisor (usually around $21k/yr for masters students). The awards are a bonus (though for some reason you end up getting less from your supervisor). I think if you get NSERC as a master's student you end up getting about $28k for the year.

what happens to grad students who don't win nsercs? do they get funding elsewhere?

You normally get a TA-ship, some money from your supervisor, and you also apply for a bunch more outside grants...there was a PhD student at my old lab who won a $80,000 outside grant, in addition to the $25,000 she got yearly from her TA-ship and from our supervisor.

You normally get a TA-ship, some money from your supervisor, and you also apply for a bunch more outside grants...there was a PhD student at my old lab who won a $80,000 outside grant, in addition to the $25,000 she got yearly from her TA-ship and from our supervisor.

wow! thats obviously pretty rare :)

If I do graduate work next year I will receive 28,000 - more perhaps if I do more ta positions than typical. More than enough to pay tuition, and survive comfortably as a student.

Most people who get a PGS-M will get a PGS-D the next time around if they have a small amount of research productivity in their first year of grad school. A CGS-M indicates you have a good shot at, but not necessarily a guarantee of, a CGS-D the following year.

Yes, the CGS-D is what everyone's shooting for. The difference between PGS-M and CGS-M is so small, but it makes a large difference at the doctoral level.

Although, with more master's scholarships out this year, I suppose a smaller proportion of the master's award holders will be able to secure doctoral awards?

rmorelan: If you don't mind me asking, what is your plan B? Just curious :)

Mine is starting a masters, so I am also quite happy I got the nserc secured: I'll be more relaxed for the upcoming interview! I did not have a plan C! :rolleyes:

Well I work full time as a computer programmer/project manager - did so while going to school. So I have a built-in plan B as it were :) Have to say it takes a lot of the stress out of the whole process - I can reapply from my current situation again without really "wasting time" - if there is such a thing :)

Jumping to masters means leaving my job so that is a bit of risk. Still to be honest it is probably more likely my plan B than plan C. I like my job, but I want something more meaningful in the long term.

just curious...what kinda stats and number of publications did you guys have?

i have a **** load of research stuff (1 paper, 7 abstracts) and great marks..but nothing....

At Waterloo I was one of the 6 biology students that got nserc this year - which was the most any department in the school. I have I think a 92% average, and work full time. I know we all got over 90%. I was surprised to get anything but I DON'T have (or rather didn't) have any research experience other than several field trips to the tropics. No publications, no lab time when I applied.

As a side note, I really hope they give the nserc to someone else if I get into med school. i would hate to think i just blocked someone from funding when their life's goals are to go into full academia!

Well I work full time as a computer programmer/project manager - did so while going to school. So I have a built-in plan B as it were :) Have to say it takes a lot of the stress out of the whole process - I can reapply from my current situation again without really "wasting time" - if there is such a thing :)

Jumping to masters means leaving my job so that is a bit of risk. Still to be honest it is probably more likely my plan B than plan C. I like my job, but I want something more meaningful in the long term.

LOL :D Same here! I work full time also as a lab tech, but I am quite happy I got the nserc as it means no matter what happens, I will be moving forward next year (and have a decent revenue!)

Also, they give the nserc to the next applicant if you end up declining it. I guess this is also what happens if you accept it then cancel it later.

Slashsev: I had pretty good marks (don't we all? ;) ) some previous experience in research, no articles, a few posters, great reference letters.

LOL :D Same here! I work full time also as a lab tech, but I am quite happy I got the nserc as it means no matter what happens, I will be moving forward next year (and have a decent revenue!)

Also, they give the nserc to the next applicant if you end up declining it. I guess this is also what happens if you accept it then cancel it later.

Slashsev: I had pretty good marks (don't we all? ;) ) some previous experience in research, no articles, a few posters, great reference letters.

Awesome! Someone should get it -I guess recieving it later must be like getting off of a waitlist!

Oh yeah I forgot - I did have pretty good letters of reference I think. One thing about doing field courses is when you are up to your waste in a swamp for hours and days with your professor, he or she gets to really know you.

In any case heres hoping shouldieventry and I don't need to actually use our NSERC :)

Archived