Premed 101 Forums

Any retakers this year?

eng_dude786

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may retake if I don't get in - will decide based on practice tests. I had a 32 T (10-10-12 in PS), but I took the test without half the pre-reqs (I don't think I had any orgo...and only 1 gen chem), and I've taken a ton of extra science courses since, so I think I could do better. 32 T is obviously not a bad score, but my GPA is on the low side, so I would benefit significantly from raising my MCAT score. I'm not worried about losing the T or the 10s in BS and VR, but 12 in PS was pretty shocking to me, so I'm a bit concerned about scoring less in that section. So I'm on the fence about this and will have to see how well I'm scoring during prep before deciding if I wanna risk retaking.

Since I have a much better background now, I think my prep will be less about reviewing basic sciences (probably won't touch bio at all, although a thorough physics review and a quick orgo/gen chem one will be in order) and more about taking a ton of practice tests.

I thought 32S was great, no?

You must have gotten alot of interview with that...if not, I am going to be hopeless.

I got 3 out of 4 (didn't make the 11 BS for UWO). My cumulative GPA is only 3.6 though, and after 5 years, it's pretty hard to raise it. I did some math and even if I pull a 4.0 in 10 courses next year, I will only get a 3.67. So given that I think I could score higher on the MCAT, I might be better suited to addressing that part of the app. But we'll see what happens on May 15.

I am re-taking if I dont get in. I had 33S (12-9-12). So obviously the VR is killing my application. I took it in 2006 and wrote the paper version. I am not looking forward to re-taking it.

Nobody does :) though you look in good shape for a retake - good solid scores in the other areas. I am sure you focus attack on V.R. and do well.

I took both the paper and computer version. Have to say I like the computer one better.

Nobody does :) though you look in good shape for a retake - good solid scores in the other areas. I am sure you focus attack on V.R. and do well.

I took both the paper and computer version. Have to say I like the computer one better.

Thanks for the encouragement :)

I hate how everything in my life now depends on May 15th :mad:

Oh well..

Oh well..

I know. I've been bored at work and wondering if I should start studying for a retake...but I don't wanna spend like 15 days studying physics *barf* only to find out I don't need to, lol.

I know. I've been bored at work and wondering if I should start studying for a retake...but I don't wanna spend like 15 days studying physics *barf* only to find out I don't need to, lol.

Thats exactly me. Except I dont mind physics. I was beginning to feel better as the weather got warmer and the recent snow made me depressed all over again about having to re-write this stupid test. :o

Oh well..

Yeah it isn't fun - I have to decide whether I am graduating or not by May 20th based on whether I get accepted or not (some schools need an honours degree, which I can get at any time, but I won't have the biomedical degree I really want until the end of the summer). So I have potentially unneeded courses, tuition payments, etc that start May 4th.

Such is the process :)

Yeah it isn't fun - I have to decide whether I am graduating or not by May 20th based on whether I get accepted or not (some schools need an honours degree, which I can get at any time, but I won't have the biomedical degree I really want until the end of the summer). So I have potentially unneeded courses, tuition payments, etc that start May 4th.

Such is the process :)

Fun indeed!

:D

I got 3 out of 4 (didn't make the 11 BS for UWO). My cumulative GPA is only 3.6 though, and after 5 years, it's pretty hard to raise it. I did some math and even if I pull a 4.0 in 10 courses next year, I will only get a 3.67. So given that I think I could score higher on the MCAT, I might be better suited to addressing that part of the app. But we'll see what happens on May 15.

I wouldn't be stressed if I was sitting in your shoes (I will be spending the summer studying for MCAT). Obtaining 3 Interview invites is not only fantastic, you obviously have come to the serious attention of several med schools as a highly credible candidate, notwithstanding your cGPA which is only one measurement of many. Your MCAT score is also highly credible!

So, in the end, it comes down to how you measured up competitively at the MMIs. I hope you are accepted at the med school of your first choice. If you don't get any offers, I do not know that a better score will make you any more credible and it is more likely than not that you would be invited to interviews next year in any event.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you for the next 3 weeks.:) :)

i'm retaking this week :D :D (29Q)

it's gonna be fuuuuuunnnnnnn.

back to opticcccssssss nowwwwwww.

LOL, the bane of my existence...but you know what, I made myself study optics because I hated it and could never really get it, and then I got at least 2 (I think it might have even been 3) optics passages on my MCAT...and all that hard (and very annoying) work paid off with a 12 in PS. Moral of the story: study the crap you hate even harder!

Archived