Premed 101 Forums

Need a MSc - what do I do

So here I am trying to secure a Masters for next year in case this year doesn't work, but all that happens is I find a supervisor who wants to take me, I explain the situation (can't give a decision till may 15th - maybe more if I am on the WL), and they say wait till may 15th. Then someone else approaches them and beats me to the punch.

This has happened 2 times now. How the heck do we get around this?

Have you tried to secure your own funding? Because that'd make you WAY more attractive to supervisors. If it means they save 10 grand, I bet they'd be more than happy to wait for you rather than take the next guy or gal.

Probably a bit late unfortunately - most external funding decisions were made already :(

If the OP applied earlier that might have worked though! I applied for NSERC and OGS and was really lucky to get NSERC so I am pretty sure worst case I can get in somewhere for an Msc in the areas that interest me.

Damn that is an awkward situation - not sure there is an easy way out of it. What sort of research were you hoping to do?

What if you simply said you cannot pick your ideal project/lab yet and would like to think for a few weeks? They don't have to know you're applying to med, the only thing they need to know is that you are not 100% sure you're gonna start an MSc with them right now, no need to tell them the real reason. That way they don't have this "oh, just another premed who's using this as a springboard for med school" mindset, so they'll take you a bit more seriously - and yet you'll be honest with them in that you might not necessarily be starting at their lab in September (it shouldn't matter to them why).

Not much really. You definitely can't lie, so just approach more people and hope that they are willing. Do you know any PI from undergrad? Maybe they'll be more accomodating since they already knew you want to get into med.

Yeah there was a prof I worked with, she kinda put "researcher" on my LoR instead of "physician" one year so I would rather not work with her, and she wasn't happy about my decision for meds over MSc/PhD even though I specifically told her that initially I was leaning towards MD when she took me on.

I haven't tried to secure funding, it was too late. I know it makes me more attractive but I came up short on that one. I guess there is nothing but to keep trying and hoping for the best.

It seems like a tough bind. It isn't even may 15th, cuz then there is Waitlist going on till june. How anyone secures anything is beyond me. I just would like something to do for the upcoming year, and I am not sure if there is anything I can do. Sucky!

The prof I asked last year was really nice and understanding. But maybe that's because he was my 4th year supervisor haha. But yeah he patiently waited May 15th along with me and was willing to wait for June as well.

I can see how this method would not work well with a hotshot prof. My prof was okay but he wasn't super hotshot.

All I think you can do in these situations is be patient and find something to do that you enjoy in the meantime. Ideally, something that is an asset to your future applications (if needed), yet won't get in the way of an acceptance (if you are so lucky). It's very much a personal choice that you must be happy with.

Good luck! :)

Alastriss you were in Chem right?

Try looking up profs in Chem Eng departments. I know that they sometimes take Chem students (you get a science degree instead of an eng) and they are always looking for students. I'm not sure what your interests are but I've definitely worked with pure chemists before in a polymer lab.

Alastriss you were in Chem right?

Try looking up profs in Chem Eng departments. I know that they sometimes take Chem students (you get a science degree instead of an eng) and they are always looking for students. I'm not sure what your interests are but I've definitely worked with pure chemists before in a polymer lab.

Im in life sci unfortunately :(. I made a list of profs who's research I would enjoy. I will be contacting them one by one and hope that I can find one who is willing to take me on. I think this might come down to sheer numbers.

some schools give some automatic funding if you have A- or better GPA...or at least they did a while back when trying to attract more talented students.

I know for a fact uOttawa did this in the past, but they may now be inundated with graduate student candidates. If you aren't picky on the school, check out uOttawa's grad programs.

best of luck,

LL

Did you apply for MSc program already? As far I think graduate admission goes is that you first have to apply through School of Graduate study, and once you pass that your file is then being sent to the individual department you applied. It is within this second process that profs within the department will get your files that is circulated and decide whether they want to contact you or not. So even if you get a prof that is willing to take you on, don't you still have to apply through the traditional route?

If there is a different system for different schools maybe try to enroll during the winter term? I know people who have started their grad study in Jan., but you do need a prof who is willing to take you on.

Archived