Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

unfortunately... sometimes cats are not enough... the old house i used to live in had a few elder rats which were roughly the size of a medium cat. My cat was afraid of it... had to catch it with a bucket... so yeah... cats does not mean vermin-proof

OH gosh...*shudder*.

I once lived in an apt building, and while watching le tele (back when i was in grade 7, and had my hols) I saw this black thing scurry across the living room, and I FREAKED OUT! I turned off the t.v., put my legs up on the sofa, and sat there for a good 10 mins, just scared ****less to even move.

I told my parents, we bought rat traps, and I shut all doors to all our bedrooms hoping to keep the mouse out. And that's when I learned that these creatures have freaking collapsible skeletons.

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i could not agree more with the bolded statement - like seriously

*googles maine coon cats and searches for any up for adoption nearby* :D

oh God. this is nauseating. i did not know this. then i googled it - it's true - apparently big rats can fit through a hole the size of a quarter and a mouse through a hole the width of a pencil.

WE ARE ALL DOOMED. thank GOD for maine coon cats. and for rmorelan who told me about them, lol

wait what? how is this possible? where do their organs go?

and sorry for the double post, but girls i need some help. i pretty much stopped shopping during undergrad because 1) i had no time 2) i didn't care about how fashionable my clothes were because i just wore jeans and simple T-shirts etc. i have a couple of nice pieces for special occasions, but not much at all.

now i'm going to be working at a hospital and while i don't want to look extremely dressed up all the time, i need some decent clothes and i'm lost about where to shop. the kind of style i'm looking for isn't TOO mature, but not stores like forever21 either. for examples, i love clothes from stores like anthropologie, but i can't really shop there at all, because i don't have a lot of money to spend, and i'd like to spend about 20-40 bucks for a piece (shirts or pants). where to go?! any good discount websites? thanks girlies!

I'm petite, so Laura petites for me. Reitmans has a good petite collection as well. Jean/trouser shopping is horrible if there are no petite stores around. Oh and ofcourse, Suzy, costa blanca, etc have a good range of blouses and shirts, and tees. :)

Old school rat traps set! This damn rat better not outsmart those! (I've seen it happen)

I used to live in an apartment with a loot of mice. For a while when I saw the moving shadows I thought they were floaters in my eye! In the first week we moved in I think my dad caught 6 of 'em I think.

Dreamer....

My first suggestion is go down to the outlet mall in Niagara Falls (state side). It's got a ton of options for decently priced clothes, it's just a matter of getting down there. It's an easy day trip though (hell I'll go with you!).

As far as in town stores, on a budget, you can get some decent things at Old Navy if you look around. I wear a fair bit of Banana Republic (outlet mall purchases!) and Old Navy is pretty much a more affordable version of that. I also shop quite frequently at Jacob, RW&CO, Esprit, United Colours of Benetton and Smart Set. I used to like Bebe, but they got trashy and expensive.

My best piece of advice - buy dresses :) They require no matching.

Ah, I'm reminded of

Tom-and-Jerry.jpg

Dude, if I even take a step towards it the thing is gone like a flash of grey furry lightening. Plus I saw the bite marks it leaves. Vicious!

Ah. I thought it was moving slowly, judging by your earlier descriptions of it sitting on the couch.

Maybe once you catch it you can use it for one of your experiments or feed it to Leon's spiders. LOL. :D

Are you trying to destroy my lab?

unfortunately... sometimes cats are not enough... the old house i used to live in had a few elder rats which were roughly the size of a medium cat. My cat was afraid of it... had to catch it with a bucket... so yeah... cats does not mean vermin-proof

OMG!!! ROUSs exist?!?!?!?!

(PS... that's like one of my favourite movies:P)

*screams like a girl*

are you boys trying to make me cry? because it might just work. *shudder* i've actually seen one of these huge mutant rats, which is probably why i'm so scared of them.......and if cats are scared of them,we're basically doomed. in that case, i need to find a big guy who isn't scared of them and marry him, so he can take care of such a situation for me, should it ever arise. in fact that's probably the only reason i will get married some day. every other bug i can handle........when it comes to mice, there is no way......i'm just not a rational person anymore hahahaha

Haha... Me too! Except he'd need to be willing to take care of the bugs/spiders as well... Anyone willing to do that for me?:D

OH gosh...*shudder*.

I once lived in an apt building, and while watching le tele (back when i was in grade 7, and had my hols) I saw this black thing scurry across the living room, and I FREAKED OUT! I turned off the t.v., put my legs up on the sofa, and sat there for a good 10 mins, just scared ****less to even move.

I told my parents, we bought rat traps, and I shut all doors to all our bedrooms hoping to keep the mouse out. And that's when I learned that these creatures have freaking collapsible skeletons.

Omg... I would have totally freaked out... I would have stood on the couch screaming like a little girl! And then if I needed to go anywhere outside of that room I would step/climb on the furniture as much as possible to avoid having to step on the floor:o

and sorry for the double post, but girls i need some help. i pretty much stopped shopping during undergrad because 1) i had no time 2) i didn't care about how fashionable my clothes were because i just wore jeans and simple T-shirts etc. i have a couple of nice pieces for special occasions, but not much at all.

now i'm going to be working at a hospital and while i don't want to look extremely dressed up all the time, i need some decent clothes and i'm lost about where to shop. the kind of style i'm looking for isn't TOO mature, but not stores like forever21 either. for examples, i love clothes from stores like anthropologie, but i can't really shop there at all, because i don't have a lot of money to spend, and i'd like to spend about 20-40 bucks for a piece (shirts or pants). where to go?! any good discount websites? thanks girlies!

Ricki's has some great stuff (and finding stuff on sale is usually pretty easy). Suzy Shier also has some good stuff (and dress pants that are GREAT prices). Smart Set sometimes is not too bad. And I love the clothes in Le Chateau, but it's too expensive, so I never try anything on there (if I try it on, I might like it... lol). Jacob/Jacob Connexion is also pretty good sometimes (depending on what you're looking for and what styles they have in at the time). My go-to place though would be Ricki's and Suzy Shier. Ricki's also has a discount card you can sign up for for 10% off each purchase- and the great thing is, unlike other stores, this one is free!

I'm petite, so Laura petites for me. Reitmans has a good petite collection as well. Jean/trouser shopping is horrible if there are no petite stores around. Oh and ofcourse, Suzy, costa blanca, etc have a good range of blouses and shirts, and tees.

I gave up trying to find petite clothes that fit me (especially jeans. Everytime I go shopping for petite jeans, they tell me they don't make petite sizes that small:rolleyes: .....) so I now just get my jeans hemmed. It sucks because it's an extra $10-$20 depending on how much they have to hem, but I'll only buy the jeans on sale so that it works out to the same price :P

I would invest in some good pieces that will stick around for a long time -- dark dress pants in a flattering fit and blazers are pieces I would put towards spending more money on. You can find amazing pants and blazers at Ricki's on sale for about $20-40.

I would avoid spending your budget on disposable pieces of poor cut, quality or of an uber-trendy style or colour. Read your fabric labels. You want a bit of stretch, but avoid rayon like the plague. Also, make sure sweaters are not going to pill.

Wash all of your treasures with Woolite on gentle or hand-wash them... they are investments, after all!!! NEVER HANG TO DRY SWEATERS. ever. I learned this the hard way!

I'd avoid buying most clothes online unless you can try them on in the store first (ie: Rickis), and then buy them online for the size or colour or something. Make sure to double check the return policy. Shoes are very dicey to purchase online as well.

Don't feel pressured to add too many pieces to your professional wardrobe all at the same time! It is something you build over time. That being said, make sure your new pieces will not become "orphans" -- pieces that go along with nothing in your closet. This is especially true of skirts!! I will add in a plug for having multi-use clothing: anything that enters my closet MUST be multi-use -- can I dress it up? dress it down? will it look okay in clinic? Make sure you have some lazy-day clothes too -- dresses require no matching. I am phasing skirts out of my closet in favor of dresses.

If you are looking for a younger "style" you may check out the "younger" version of where some professional women shop (ie: Rickis is the younger equivilant of Cleo ... and Smart Set is the same family as Reitmans). Of course, do not abandon all stores: I have pieces from Jacob, Winners, Suzy Shier, Zellers and Superstore. There are well-made pieces at every store, and poor-quality pieces as well.

Good luck!

I don't know where you live...maybe you mentioned it but it is lost in the WED thread.

Suggestions:

H&M for separates...if you have it in your city. I bought some great stuff off their clearance racks, particularly pants, but you need to watch for quality variances. Some of the cheap stuff is exactly that--cheaply made!

Old Navy: I used to like their dress pants. Again, quality varies and you need to look past the 'trendy' and ugly pieces to find the good stuff. They have some nice tops as well, but I find that their stuff has gotten really cheaply made lately without the corresponding price drop ;)

Gap Generation/Factory Outlet: They have great sales! I am really going to miss the 2 gap Generations in Calgary. I find the quality here is more like Old Navy of a couple years ago, but cheaper than regular Gap stuff. Lots of basics, some trendier pieces. Again...good for pants (can you tell I like to shop for dress pants?). Both Gap generation/Old Navy run large in their sizing...stupid vanity sizing allows me to wear stuff 2 sizes smaller than normal! :P

BR is nice but I can find similar items in Gap generation/ON/H&M for lower prices.

I would avoid Le Chateau. Way overpriced for the quality you get. I remember it from 15 years ago, when the stuff was actually decent quality....now a lot of synthetics that bleed colour when you wash them according to the label!!! :( I wouldn't bother unless the items are on deep discount in the outlet stores. Their shoes are crapola too.... Their sizes run small.

If you can stomach the mess...go scour Winners. I can't shop there because every time I go in I feel claustrophobic. There is no organization. There are too many items squished together. I can barely look at the shoe section (I <3 shoes...Browns is my favorite store!!) before I have to turn around and run out. I also don't find their prices are that great.

If you trust purchasing without trying on, have you considered joining beyondtherack.ca? They have new collections on sale every day, and each sale lasts 2 days long. They offer lots of random brands, some high end (Fendi, YSL, Balenciaga, True Religion, Coach), some middle of the road, and then some cheapie stuff. There is a variety of products offered too (shoes, jewelry, clothes, jeans, underwear, housewears, watches). It is pretty cool when they have blowouts, because they often discount things 70%+. If you join, let me know so I can give you a referral link ;):D

Like Renin said: keep your eyes open at all kinds of stores. The Bay has a huge clearance right now on fashions, so you can get some great brands for 50% or more off original price...timing is key to shopping, I believe. Be open to buying when you see what you like, don't get super focussed on 'I MUST BUY JEANS TODAY'. Buy that coat if it fits, you like it, and the price is right! I find the best deals when I am not looking for a specific item.

LL reminded me of something: buy yourself a kick ass watch. It looks awesome and it updates anything else you wear. Some days, I want to walk around naked with just my watch on... (uh... TMI). But make sure it won't get stolen/damaged at a hospital, if you're wearing it also for clinic.

LL reminded me of something too. The Chateau ... thing. Quality has been going downhill faster than a bobsledder. Use extreme caution when shopping there. Extreme.

LL reminded me of something: buy yourself a kick ass watch. It looks awesome and it updates anything else you wear. Some days, I want to walk around naked with just my watch on... (uh... TMI). But make sure it won't get stolen/damaged at a hospital, if you're wearing it also for clinic.

LL reminded me of something too. The Chateau ... thing. Quality has been going downhill faster than a bobsledder. Use extreme caution when shopping there. Extreme.

Ah yes...awesome watches are very important. Check the Bay! Lots of great sales on these, often have clearance ones.

Renin knows I bought my beloved Lacoste watch there :D

Sorry about the fashion commentary, Leon! Do your best to change the conversation!!!!

I would invest in some good pieces that will stick around for a long time -- dark dress pants in a flattering fit and blazers are pieces I would put towards spending more money on. You can find amazing pants and blazers at Ricki's on sale for about $20-40.

Renin's advice is awesome. :D In addition to the stores that have already been mentioned, believe it or not, I have found really nice dress pants at Northern Reflections. I know, I know, but I have pants (and cords) that have lasted forever from them!

Archived