Premed 101 Forums

What's everyone doing? (Vol II)

Jochi1543

We need to lock you in Leon's "animal room". :D

Not if he wishes to have anything alive when I'm let out.

so sad that you haven't learned the alt+0176 yet...lol

-25°C is nothing leon....you're not a true Canadian until you've been outside in -45°C weather ;) hahaha

in regards to the worms, are they some kind of planaria?

I try and try but can never get it to work.

Planaria....eh....sure....ummm....they bite?

• Replies 23.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my day today:

-woke up 1:00 pm on the couch. Roommate is in Edmonton so I have total peace and quiet

-made a breakfast consisting of hashbrowns, scrambled eggs, toast, coffee

-watched Step-Brothers on DVD

-did laundry

-washed mold out of ~40 dishes (the previous owners of his house clearly didn't take care of their dishwasher. That'll have to be replaced this week)

-washed the wall of the kitchen + man cave

-cooked myself a dinner of garlic cheese bread, chicken parmesan and Pinot Grigio

-watched Zombieland on Blu-Ray

-swept the floor of the kitchen + man cave

-did more dishes

-mopped the floor of the kitchen + man cave

now it's 12:00am. Eff I need a girlfriend

Stem cell pioneer McCulloch dies

Last Updated: Friday, January 21, 2011 | 6:42 PM ET

CBC News

Dr. James Till and Dr. Ernest McCulloch, both from the University of Toronto, received the 2005 Lasker Award for Basic Medical Research in New York for their groundbreaking stem cell research. Ernest McCulloch, who was part of the team that first proved the existence of stem cells, has died. He was 84.

The stem cell pioneer and his partner James Till are credited with revolutionizing the field of stem cell biology and the treatment of chronic disease.

"I was deeply saddened to hear of the passing of Dr. Ernest McCulloch, a founding father of stem cell research and a true Canadian scientific giant," Glen Murray, Ontario's minister of research and innovation, said in a statement Friday.

"All of the stem cell research happening today can be traced to their groundbreaking work in the 1960s, work that paved the way for bone marrow transplants for cancer patients."

McCulloch's death came days before a celebration to mark the 50th anniversary of the discovery.

"In addition to providing detailed information about blood cell development, they [McCulloch and Till] established the concept of stem cells and set the framework in which stem cells are studied today," said the Canadian Medical Hall of Fame's website. The group inducted McCulloch in 2004.

"Their work gains a new freshness with the current interest in harnessing the developmental program of stem cells for therapeutic purposes."

McCulloch was born in Toronto and was a lead researcher at the Ontario Cancer Institute and the Institute of Medical Science at the University of Toronto.

No cause of death was given.

So..........I started on the highest concentration of my allergy treatment today. The medication was so intense it triggered asthma after over 6 years of no asthma.

Thankfully I still had the asthma puffer else I dunno what would've happened!

She's scared of you.

No. She's scared of her capabilities.

Lol...why, what's your project? The only one in our lab that I'm not fond of is the one with the ****ing flesh-eating worms. Breeding them. Ridiculous. We should be figuring out how to kill them quickly, since slicing them into bitty pieces just makes 50 new worms.

Nothing remotely close. I do modeling and it involves a lot of "simple" mathematical calculations to get different estimates of the human body. She got scared because she didn't know the system that is able to capture the motion (mind you... it takes YEARS to learn it... I've been working with it for 4 years now and I still discover a new thing every day). So she technically got scared of the amount she needs to learn. My motto is "If you're unwilling to learn, you will never prosper". Of course I never told her this and she could have easily come to me to tell me that she's worried and I would have easily talked with her about it. :rolleyes:

LOL not even a year out of undergrad and you already have "Those days" and "these days" lmao

Yeah. Undergrads are annoying.

lol you were an undergrad just a year ago!!

You know, a little humility goes a long way. You must remember how overwelming it felt to realize how complicated is this machine you're talking about.

I feel for her. I guess my major problem was her going to my supervisor and crying about it. It could have passed as all my fault and me not willing to help her learn which is NOT the case because I always encourage students to ask questions. If she approached me and told me this, I wouldn't freak out and I would definitively meet her in the middle.

My first semester stats class had an average of 90% because of me. So, I'm not that bad as a teacher.

Having such an awesome day today!!

Slept in until like almost 11 (which I never really do). Then I go shopping to Ricki's because they have a sale on right now. I ended up getting like $470 worth of clothes for $130 :D. Came home and chillaxed for a bit, and now I'm working on some grant applications (hopefully will be able to get a little bit of funding!). All-in-all a pretty good day!

I do really need to get my nose to the grindstone on my Athabasca courses. I've been ready for a week to take my first quiz (worth only 5% or so), but I haven't written it because I'm paranoid I don't know enough. That's the the good thing and the bad thing with distance learning- you choose your own schedule.

Update on the nutbar parent: she apparently sent the club a REALLY nasty e-mail (so bad the program director won't even tell me what's in it or forward it on to me). The good thing is is that my club (and all the coaches- especially the program director) are really standing behind me. Her only options are 1) Suck it up princess and 2) here's your money back. It's good to know that people have your back. Lol- if she says anything *****y to me on Tuesday to me, I might have to pull a Bruno Mars and tell her to "tell the Devil I say hey when you get back to where you're from" :D

wow, i can't believe so many people from one school are in cheerleading, let alone that good!

That wasn't the biggest team....Universite de Montreal was much much bigger. They were so large they got docked points for being off the mats. Hence Sherbrooke won (methinks).

I still maintain McGill's team had the best jumps.

Are they....all med students?!

yea, i was wondering the same thing!

on a different note, it is definitely interview time...there are nearly 300 guests on the board.

Will we crash? Will we stay afloat? here's hoping pm101 makes through yet another cycle of med apps with minimal server overloads ;)

Archived