Premed 101 Forums

American Dental school

Hi guys,

Well, the US dental admission doors are opening soon, so I got a couple of questions.

First of all, I will NOT be applying this year as I have not taken DAT yet.

My GPA with OMSAS conversion is 3.8, which is on the lower side. So I am guessing my chances in Canadian dental schools are fairly slim (I am IP ontario).

So I was thinking about also applying to US schools next year as well as candian schools (why not give it a try). My cGPA converted according to AADSAS is 3.6 and science GPA of 3.6. Yea. this is garbage all thanks for that first semester of the first year.

Do you think I should apply this with GPA?

LEt me know what you think.

I know some member of this forum are very generous and try to boost up your self esteem, but right now I really need some critical criticism. (but most of the time, those kind words really help you)

Thanks everyone.

what chart did you use exactly?

there is one that starts with 4.33 and then go down similar to the OMSAS. Th other one goes like 4.0-3.0-2.0 .......

I couldn't find one that is similar to OMSAS exactly. Moreover, my school reports percentages not letter grads and when I checked the ADA....(whatever the name is) I found a conversion chart for the percentile schools that uses the second scale (4.0-3.0-2.0). If this is the scale used then my GPA would be very low like around 3.50.

The converging to GPA for US dentistry is very confusing. If any one can help that would be great.

Contach was talking about this matter but I don't think a final conclusion was reached in that thread.

So I was thinking about also applying to US schools next year as well as candian schools (why not give it a try). My cGPA converted according to AADSAS is 3.6 and science GPA of 3.6. Yea. this is garbage all thanks for that first semester of the first year.

Do you think I should apply this with GPA?

LEt me know what you think.

I know some member of this forum are very generous and try to boost up your self esteem, but right now I really need some critical criticism. (but most of the time, those kind words really help you)

Thanks everyone.

What thread are you talking about? Are percentages reported on your transcript?

3.8 isn't bad for Ontario schools.

I'll give you one very big reason of why not to apply to American schools: the cost. I don't know if you've looked into it, but it is astronomically expensive. Consider if you can finance such an education before you apply. No, the US government and the school won't help you. You will need to find Canadian government aid (OSAP) + LOC from banks, and then private loans or your parents. Look at the total prices of some of the american schools you are thinking of applying to. Also, the application costs are quite a bit, after the AADSAS fee, there are supplementary application fees for virtually every school, and with the exchange you end up spending 65-120$ / school in supplementary fees, then if you get invited for interviews, they will cost atleast 500$ for each if you need to fly there. Seriously consider whether you want to go to the USA before you apply. I made this mistake and don't want others to make the same one.

Can anyone tell me how to send the lor's online? I am meeting my refree's in the end of may. What should I tell them where to send the lors if I decide to send it electronically- I mean will they get some kind of notification from AASDAS once we send our application? Also is there a limit on the number of letters we can send to aasdas? Few of the schools I am applying to needs three lors from science profs, few want 2 from science and 1 from SS prof and few even want 1 from dentist. So I believe I would have to send 5 (3 science, 1 SS and 1 Dentist). Can we send 5 letters to AASDAS? Also if they write 2 letters from sciences profs can we send one from Higher science course as physiology or it has to be either physics/chemistry/physics prof only?

Can anyone tell me how to send the lor's online? I am meeting my refree's in the end of may. What should I tell them where to send the lors if I decide to send it electronically- I mean will they get some kind of notification from AASDAS once we send our application? Also is there a limit on the number of letters we can send to aasdas? Few of the schools I am applying to needs three lors from science profs, few want 2 from science and 1 from SS prof and few even want 1 from dentist. So I believe I would have to send 5 (3 science, 1 SS and 1 Dentist). Can we send 5 letters to AASDAS? Also if they write 2 letters from sciences profs can we send one from Higher science course as physiology or it has to be either physics/chemistry/physics prof only?

Once the AADSAS application cycle actually opens, you have to fill out who your evaluators are going to be and their emails so that AADSAS can send them a form which they have to fill out and attach your letter. You should read the AADSAS instructions file found on the login page. There is also a limit of 4 letters which you can send to AADSAS, and I'm sure you can use your physiology prof and not just phys/chem/bio.

What thread are you talking about? Are percentages reported on your transcript?

3.8 isn't bad for Ontario schools.

I'll give you one very big reason of why not to apply to American schools: the cost. I don't know if you've looked into it, but it is astronomically expensive. Consider if you can finance such an education before you apply. No, the US government and the school won't help you. You will need to find Canadian government aid (OSAP) + LOC from banks, and then private loans or your parents. Look at the total prices of some of the american schools you are thinking of applying to. Also, the application costs are quite a bit, after the AADSAS fee, there are supplementary application fees for virtually every school, and with the exchange you end up spending 65-120$ / school in supplementary fees, then if you get invited for interviews, they will cost atleast 500$ for each if you need to fly there. Seriously consider whether you want to go to the USA before you apply. I made this mistake and don't want others to make the same one.

What do you have on Virginia and West Virginia Universities?

Do they accept Canadians?

Are they good?

Archived