Premed 101 Forums

Law school vs. Med school

This is not totally true. McGill Law School very definitely looks at and evaluates all E.C.s. There is an Interview process and not all top candidates are invivted. And for cegep applicants, there is no LSAT (I don't know if they use LSAT for undergrad students).

However, relatively speaking, it is a walk in the park getting into law school compared to med school.

future_doc, doesn't McGill Law only have interviews for CEGEP students?

I'm pretty sure no law school in North America has interviews.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
future_doc, doesn't McGill Law only have interviews for CEGEP students?

I'm pretty sure no law school in North America has interviews.

I know that McGill Law does have interviews for cegep applicants (and the process of selecting students to interview is unfair and aribtrary). I honestly do not know one way or the other about the other pool of students, sorry. UofM does not interview cegep students for law.

This is not totally true. McGill Law School very definitely looks at and evaluates all E.C.s. There is an Interview process and not all top candidates are invivted. And for cegep applicants, there is no LSAT (I don't know if they use LSAT for undergrad students).

However, relatively speaking, it is a walk in the park getting into law school compared to med school.

Someone told me that Osgoode recently changed their policy so that they actually read reference letters now.

Someone told me that Osgoode recently changed their policy so that they actually read reference letters now.

U of T law doesn't even require letters of recommendation :)

At least they are honest about the fact that they don't read them!

U of T law doesn't even require letters of recommendation :)

At least they are honest about the fact that they don't read them!

Hah well Osgoode did manage to have a student get all the way to landing a job and almost graduate before finding out that she applied with a fake undergrad degree!

How can you possibly have a ginuwine interesting in both becoming a lawyer or a doctor? Unless you want to work in some aspect of health care related law?

I wouldn't underestimate the power of interdisciplinary studies. It takes creativity to be able to meld seemingly unrelated fields of work and often leads to some spectacular advancements. It is the difference between simply practicing medicine and improving it. I can think of at least three very important fields where a law degree would be extremely useful with an MD.

Wow. Who cares which is harder?

And it's not difficult to have an interest in both. I'd be happy being a lawyer working on policy, human rights, and international affairs. I'd also be happy being a doctor working on the brain or sports medicine or emergency medicine. This may come as a surprise to most premeds, but it is possible to have multiple interests.

"

How can you possibly have a ginuwine interesting in both becoming a lawyer or a doctor? Unless you want to work in some aspect of health care related law?

There are tons of JD/MD programs in the states. It is not at all far fetched to have an interest in both. I heard a lecture about JD/MDs from a pathologist who was heavily involved in forensics.

also.. +1 for retsage's post

I've heard that JD/MDs aren't worth it because in the end, you could do what you want without needing both degrees.

which one wouldn't you need? The JD one I assume, as you cannot practice law without a law degree, but you can get expert advise as a lawyer about matters of medicine.

It's probably isn't a matter of need, it's likely is a matter of interest. A JD/MD probably just has strong interest in both, so why not learn them both.

Well, there's a lot of things I'd like to learn too. There's an opportunity cost-benefit to every decision.

If you want to go all economics on this, there is also a preference function as well.

Can't look at the costs, if you aren't also looking at the rewards :)

Right, but I don't think the economic rewards justify the time and money to do the combined md/jd program

It is only because I have a silly economics exam in 3 hours that I am being picky and I just bored out of my skull with indifference curves ( you are helping me study by the way, thanks!). Economics rewards include Happiness obtained by just knowing something + money earned. Finanical gains would not.

For your preference function getting that degree would not exceed the opportunity cost of the best alternative (I am with you by the way, it sure wouldn't for me :). For someone else it might.

What is the difference between money earned and financial gain in this case? Aren't they the same?

They are the same, but economic rewards include more than financial gains. Economists, because they are anal, like to measure anything that contributes to happiness, which they call utility so they can sound smart. Since we haven't figured out how to measure happiness, they use monetary gain most of the time as a proxy (more mony = more happiness, sounds like a rap song). However in those cases where there so plainly another form of happiness that monetary gain/cost doesn't capture - like say, a walk in the park, time with your family, etc (there things that are nice but free but there are other examples that aren't free as well) economic models can really suck. Thats why if you economic models blindly you often get stupid, stupid results sometimes like advise to destroy parks, over pollute, raise some taxes, kill people blah, blah.

It is also why if you apply them you can get decisions like no one should take say fine arts, classical music, english, etc, because you get more gain by taking computer science, engineering, or law (notice I didn't put medicine on that list :)). But what if you really, really like classical music (your preference function indicates you get more utility from that than doing anything else.) than a straight monetary gain/financial reward system isn't the way to go.

I sometimes throw around opportunity cost improperly, and forget that you cannot talk about opportunity cost without the perference function as well. I shouldn't, its wrong, but there you go.....

after tonight I will have a four year economics degree that says:

1) Everything has a cost.

2) Do things you enjoy doing.

and that only only cost a few 10s of thousands of dollars, and a whole crap load of time. hehehehe - Could of told you that in the beginning (although now I can tell you it mathematically, hurray!).

groan, back to micro......

They are the same, but economic rewards include more than financial gains. Economists, because they are anal, like to measure anything that contributes to happiness, which they call utility so they can sound smart. Since we haven't figured out how to measure happiness, they use monetary gain most of the time as a proxy (more mony = more happiness, sounds like a rap song). However in those cases where there so plainly another form of happiness that monetary gain/cost doesn't capture - like say, a walk in the park, time with your family, etc (there things that are nice but free but there are other examples that aren't free as well) economic models can really suck. Thats why if you economic models blindly you often get stupid, stupid results sometimes like advise to destroy parks, over pollute, raise some taxes, kill people blah, blah.

It is also why if you apply them you can get decisions like no one should take say fine arts, classical music, english, etc, because you get more gain by taking computer science, engineering, or law (notice I didn't put medicine on that list :)). But what if you really, really like classical music (your preference function indicates you get more utility from that than doing anything else.) than a straight monetary gain/financial reward system isn't the way to go.

I sometimes throw around opportunity cost improperly, and forget that you cannot talk about opportunity cost without the perference function as well. I shouldn't, its wrong, but there you go.....

after tonight I will have a four year economics degree that says:

1) Everything has a cost.

2) Do things you enjoy doing.

and that only only cost a few 10s of thousands of dollars, and a whole crap load of time. hehehehe - Could of told you that in the beginning (although now I can tell you it mathematically, hurray!).

groan, back to micro......

Pretty cool explanation. You must love Econ articles on the VR :)

My friend got into UT law with a relatively high GPA and very high LSAT, but let's just say the essay was....horrible. Seriously, it was written the night before and the person had NO experience whatsoever with anything RELATED to law. They basically didn't know what they want, and figured it sounded good to be in 'professional school'.

Moral of the story? I think law is a numbers game unlike med where they actually care about other things (or at least pretend to care).

Essays are just a bad idea imo. Anyone could have written the essay, but at least for interviews, you gotta be there in person. Sure, you could bs your way and be pretentious, but at least you're the one there.

Maybe some schools, it just doesn't matter at all whether you want to be a lawyer. They just want to predict you have the academic 'powerness' to do it.

Archived