Premed 101 Forums

Law school vs. Med school

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
how are they vicious lol

Just really rude. People who complain about the viciousness of p101 would probably commit suicide after 2 minutes on Vault.com. The finance/pre-law world is much more cut-throat, IMO. Most premeds, in my experience, are pretty decent people except for the big egos (but then again, I don't think you'd last long in the profession if you had no self-esteem) and most have compassion for their fellow human beings. In a corporate environment, this is a setback most of the time, lol.

i think that's pretty big generalizing there

i know people on both ends and it's not like that from my experience

I dunno, I've had lots of exposure to the whole finance crowd given that it was my major for the first 2 years and I did internships, participated in ass-kis - sorry, networking - opportunities, etc. I loved actual finance - I just hated the people involved in it and the whole culture. I'm much happier with the premed crew. At least I feel that here, intelligence and compassion matters.

Pretty cool explanation. You must love Econ articles on the VR :)

You know there was one the year I took the test! Pretty cool actually.

People joke that arts students have a bit on an advantage on the V.R. section just because of the nature of the degree. However sometimes it is just because some passages are always on something "artsy", and just like biologists on biology sections we already know the theory etc they are talking about so it is an easy read. I had a section on the nature of evil (took a course on the religion and evil), one on economics (one of my majors), and one on geology (have 2 courses in earth science). I think it helped, but I am not really sure it is "fair" in the strictest sense. I think the passages should really be completely novel to anyone going in.

I dunno, I've had lots of exposure to the whole finance crowd given that it was my major for the first 2 years and I did internships, participated in ass-kis - sorry, networking - opportunities, etc. I loved actual finance - I just hated the people involved in it and the whole culture. I'm much happier with the premed crew. At least I feel that here, intelligence and compassion matters.

what did you hate about the culture?

I wonder how often it happens that someone goes in and suddenly sees a passage they had read in a book or journal before, lol.

That probably wouldn't help me if it was something I skimmed and it'll probably do more damage as I waste seconds awing at the idea of seeing it before....before actually trying to grasp what it's actually implying, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hey all,

Just curious what your nonbiased (haha) opinions are on this topic. Recently I was at a dinner party and my friend was talking about her boyfriend applying to law school in Canada and how difficult it is. She then said that it’s more difficult to get into law school than even medical school (she then awkwardly looked at me knowing I'm trying to get into med school). My initial desire was to give some remark about med being harder, but that would have only been based on pride, so I simply ignored the comment. However, I'm curious if anyone knows the process of getting into law school compared to med school? I always thought med was more competitive, but now I'm not really sure what I base that opinion on.

Thanks!

Laura,

It is signficantly harder to get into med school than law school, no question. Your friend's claim to fame is her b/f, so she quite naturally sees things through her own lens.

Truth is stranger than fiction - many people go into law b/c they don't know what else to do, they are bright, personable and want to earn a good living without killing themselves. Virtually every top lawfirm has their share of totally incompetent lawyers who bring in a fortune b/c they lose their cases through the appeal process and the clients arer not aware that the loss is due to incompetence! The best lawyers in Canada are those who are already retired.:P Worst of all, many an incompetent lawyer has been appointed to the bench.:(

Laura,

Virtually every top lawfirm has their share of totally incompetent lawyers who bring in a fortune b/c they lose their cases through the appeal process and the clients arer not aware that the loss is due to incompetence! The best lawyers in Canada are those who are already retired.:P Worst of all, many an incompetent lawyer has been appointed to the bench.:(

Do you ever really know what you are talking about?

Virtually every top lawfirm has their share of totally incompetent lawyers who bring in a fortune b/c they lose their cases through the appeal process and the clients arer not aware that the loss is due to incompetence! The best lawyers in Canada are those who are already retired.:P Worst of all, many an incompetent lawyer has been appointed to the bench.:(

Lawyers, just like physicians, have malpractice issues to worry about. So the odds of a "totally incompetent lawyer" "bringing in a fortune" to the firm due to their incompetence are quite low.

In regards to the above convo abt incompetence of lawyers. There are plenty of incompetent lawyers as future_doc stated but jochi u'r also partially right b/c these lawyers will more often than not, get weeded out in law school or the hiring process. Unlike medical school you're marks are letter grades in law school and your potential employers and articling firms base a large portion of their decision to hire on your marks. If someone does not put in a lot of effort to at least grad with B levels( most schools have a B curve) than he/she is essentially 'screwed' when it comes to articling positions and work.

I wonder how often it happens that someone goes in and suddenly sees a passage they had read in a book or journal before, lol.

Funny you say that. I was studying from VR through the Kaplan prep material and came across an old passage that was a word by word explanation of Khloberg's theory of morality. I skimmed through the paragraphs and scored -1.

I agree with rmorelen, no one should be given an advantage in writing the VR section based on his/her prior knowledge. I personally find the VR section in the MCAT A LOT easier than the RC section of the LSAT. RC requires a lot more logical reasoning as opposed to the VR, which tests your ability to understand language, context and key ideas.

Archived