Premed 101 Forums

Please Help! U of T GPA question

Hey guys,

I did a search on this and couldnt find anything.

For GPA calculation, does U of T just take your cGPA? Or 2 best years? Or 3 best years? I cant find this anywhere!

I just finished 4th year, and my GPA is way better in later years. According to the scale they use, I have:

1st year- 3.35

2nd- 3.75

3rd- 3.95

4th- 3.98

As you can see, year 1 is screwing me I think. My goal would be U of T dent. Im a U of T undergrad, had 5 courses a year, plus one summer course which was a 3.9.

Thanks so much for any help!

If you apply during your 3rd year of undergrad,

- they will look at your 1st and 2nd year marks

If you apply during your 4th year of undergard,

- they will NOT look at your 4th year marks

- they will drop your worst year (1st, 2nd or 3rd)

- therefore, best TWO years

Ex. a student applying during 4th year of undergrad

1st year 3.80

2nd year 3.54 =====> dropped

3rd year 4.0

4th year pending

The GPA that will be used by the admissions committe will be 3.9

I am 100% positive that this is correct...

If I have courses that range from 1 to 4 credits, does UT take that into account? Like a 4 credit course would be weighted 4x more than a 1 credit course?

If you apply during your 4th year of undergard,

- they will NOT look at your 4th year marks

- they will drop your worst year (1st, 2nd or 3rd)

- therefore, best TWO years

UofT drops your worst year, but they don't drop your most recent year (even if it is your worst). So if you're applying in fourth year, they will only drop your worst year if it was your first or second year.

Hey,

I did decent in my first and third year, 3.80 and 3.88. Hoping to get the 4th year higher. But I really messed up 2nd year. A great deal. I had a death in my family and got straight Cs and Ds. If UofT does eliminate my lowest year then my GPA is competitive but would that one bad year really affect me a lot even if everything else is pretty good?

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question about gpa calculation at u of t

do they include summer courses in their gpa calculation as well?

are they all weighed equally to academic year courses?

Thanks in advance!

---------------------------------------------------

I found the answer to these questions in other threads... they are all counted equally

yes, they DO include summer courses in the calculations

How do they include summer courses? I mean if you are taking summer classes between first and second year will they count it with second year? And if you have taken classes in the summer prior to first year (non- traditional student) will they count it in first year? Also do they count each year's GPA individually or see the aggregate of 2 best years. I have first year 92% (4.0) and second year 88.5% (3.9) but aggregate is still above 90 which is 4.0. So will they take aggregate in this case or individual years? I am sorry for being too ignorant.

How do they include summer courses? I mean if you are taking summer classes between first and second year will they count it with second year? And if you have taken classes in the summer prior to first year (non- traditional student) will they count it in first year? Also do they count each year's GPA individually or see the aggregate of 2 best years. I have first year 92% (4.0) and second year 88.5% (3.9) but aggregate is still above 90 which is 4.0. So will they take aggregate in this case or individual years? I am sorry for being too ignorant.

Hey I am 90% sure summer courses are added to the previous year completed. And as for GPA... you are making a mistake I believe. 92% isn't necessarily a 4.0GPA. Unless all your courses were above 90% then you achieved a 4.0 GPA. To calculate GPA you must add each course separately.

Ie.

93%

94%

89%

93%

91%

If all these were full year courses you would have 4 x 4.0GPA and 1 x 3.9 totaling to 3.98 I believe? So now you have a 3.98 and lets say a 3.93 second year. Your total GPA would be 3.955

:D

Hey I am 90% sure summer courses are added to the previous year completed. And as for GPA... you are making a mistake I believe. 92% isn't necessarily a 4.0GPA. Unless all your courses were above 90% then you achieved a 4.0 GPA. To calculate GPA you must add each course separately.

Ie.

93%

94%

89%

93%

91%

If all these were full year courses you would have 4 x 4.0GPA and 1 x 3.9 totaling to 3.98 I believe? So now you have a 3.98 and lets say a 3.93 second year. Your total GPA would be 3.955

:D

Thanks a lot. I didn't know we have to count each course individually. I thought as UWO count two years marks as aggregate same is with UFT. Thanks for the clarification. Also if summer marks are counted with previous year completed how about the summer courses taken before first year.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived