Premed 101 Forums

Hey

Ok I need some advice. I was waitlisted at western, but got the msg that I have a "high position on our their Wait List"

I really want to go to Western since it is my top choice. However, I also got accepted at other schools which require a response my May 29th. Do you think it will move by then? What are the chances of it moving after May 29th but before June 12th?

Ah i'm confused what to do! :confused:

Yes, you can take a provisional acceptance... which gives you a few weeks more to wait.....

By the sounds of it too.... the high priority waitlist for western was quite conservative... more of a acceptance given time scenario.... so with a provisional acceptance.... you gain extra waiting time..... I'm not sure how long....

but if you really wanna go to western I think it's quite the option.

Ottawa's info session told us you can accept one school but still remain on the waitlist of one other Ontario school. If a spot opens up you shuffle over to your preferred school. Seemed like the process was design specifically for your type of situation :)

ugh sorry...

The main waitlist movement will happen during that time....

It seems they get everyone's decision by the 29th... and then re-offer a few days later.....

So I would imagine if you wanted to wait that couple weeks you'd likely get your answer... not to say that the waitlist doesn't continue past the 13th but I think a fair amount of movement happens during the provisional acceptance period.

For those worried and nervous (like me 364 days ago), there was great wait list movement last year. Last year, the wait list moved in two week bursts at first. Last year the first round of acceptances expired I believe on May 29th. Movement off waitlist ensued the following Monday. There was two days of calling and then no movement for another few weeks when I got in (mid june). Once the class if full (early or mid July last year) it will say on the website. At that point one or two more people got in after that.

My stats from last year:

GPA: (cut off was 3.70) 3.73

MCAT: 32R

SWOMEN

Here are the stats from our class...SWOMEN have a really good shot.

http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/EXECUTIVECOMMITTEES/documents/committee/ECSC/2008_2009/Admissions_Med.pdf

Good luck to everyone.

I was thinking of doing a provisional acceptance, but If I do that, I would have to fork over a $1000 as a deposit. If I do end up getting Western I would be giving up the $1000, which is a LOT of money.

Hopefully the waitlist moves by then :(

I didn't apply this year, so I can't speak from experience, and I don't know what your financial situation is. However, the way I see it is if Western is your #1 choice and you absolutely want to go there, I don't think that giving up a $1000 dollar deposit is that big of a deal. In the long run (of med school tuition vs how much you'll end up making as a doctor) it's not really that much of a monetary loss.

You DO NOT need to put down 1000 dollars for a provisional acceptance. The provisional acceptance is meant for people in your position who have been accepted at one school, but waitlisted at a school they prefer. The $1000 deposit is due once provisional acceptances become FIRM (so not till mid June). While it is nice to get the 'high position waitlist' it is NOT a guarantee of eventual acceptance. If you prefer Western, you don't loose anything by provisionally accepting wherever you got in, asking to stay on the waitlist at Western until you are either accepted (fingers crossed) or until the deadline for provisional acceptances to become firm - at that time your name will be taken off the waitlist and you will be accepted (and need to pay $1000) to the school you've provisionally accepted.

Good Luck!!

Is this how it works for out of Ontario schools as well? I've been accepted elsewhere but Western is my #1 so I'd like to stay on the WL but I have to send in my acceptance by May 24th...does that mean I get removed from any WL I'm on? (and I do have to pay the deposit by that point, which kind of blows).

The system is OMSAS specific (I didn't apply out of province so I don't know how each school does it). I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think OMSAS communicates with out of province schools, so they wouldn't know that you have accepted at an out of province school. Your name can therefore stay on the waitlist indefinitely here (though like you said, you have to pay your deposit to the out of province school, and likely won't get it back if you're ultimately accepted to UWO). Speak with the schools and ask about your options, they may make an exception for you.

Archived