Premed 101 Forums

What undergraduate school did most people (and you) in med school go to?

And it's not a black and white situation here. Going to an 'easier' school/program is not mutually exclusive with happiness and enjoying yourself. It almost seems like some of you are suggesting that you must go to a 'difficult' program and being 'challenged' is the only way in which you can be happy and enjoy undergrad.

Maybe if someone picked a school that wasn't aerodynamcis space aerocraft (something insane like that) and perhaps challenged them a bit less than the above program/something of the likes, they'll have more time to devote to extracurriculars and things they find fun and enriching than constantly studying 24/7 to just get a mediocre 70 because most of the kids in their program had like 4.0's in first year or 95% + in high school.

I agree about balance...you are not guaranteed 'happiness' either the 'hard' or 'easy' way. You know yourself best and pick what is the most right for you.

If you're someone who lives on pride and will get 'embarassed' and 'shameful' by going to a supposedly easier school, then don't do it and be miserable everytime family/friends ask you where you go for school. If you don't care what other people say, then do whateve you want. You should know what you want.

^This.

There's nothing really wrong with either approach. They're just based on different personal values. Do what makes you happy.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gimme a break.. I spoke to the associate dean of Schulich Meds and he clearly told me that medical schools will prefer kids from their own undergrad program and that it's 'no coincidence' that every medical school always has a higher portion of their own undergrad students than other universities..

Like skvangs, I have difficulty believing that Dr. Scott, or Dr Rieder or Dr. Chan or Dr. Cheung or whomever you were speaking to said that.

if you look at stats from when med schools used to give out the stats about where their undergrads came from, why do most undergrads come from UT, when compared to york?

whats the reason for this?

U of T is way bigger than York, so way more applicants would come from U of T.

if you look at stats from when med schools used to give out the stats about where their undergrads came from, why do most undergrads come from UT, when compared to york?

What stats are you talking about? And why the obsession with UofT? There are 16 other schools in this country.

Sacrificing an entire four years of your youth for something that you may not get into is a pretty heavy risk. Also, most people do better in situations where they are stimulated and satisfied. The courses that I did the best in this year, were the courses that were the hardest, and required to most out-of-class effort.

Bottom line for me is that there's more to life than just getting into med school.

What use is an MD and a bunch of money? If you go to a school just to get to med school, then you aren't there for the right reasons. What's the point in going through the motions, just to find yourself stuck in a job until you retire. Live life and embrace all of it- don't just do things for a means to an end.

Yes, unless, from least likely to most likely : 1) you die tomorrow, 2) you don't get in, or 3) you keep that same attitude during med school in order to get your first choice of residency, and then later on to get a promotion, and then another, and... then your life went by and you didn't enjoy it.

The pressure to succeed is by no means guaranteed to decrease once you get into med school, or anytime after that actually, and the reward you get for delaying gratification will not necessarily seem less interesting. Just in case any of the 3 happen, I think it's important to enjoy the journey. That doesn't mean you don't work hard and sometimes (often?) pass on something fun to study, but it does mean that, as a whole, you're better off enjoying your undergrad than centering your whole life on getting into med school, IMO.

Excellent posts, completely agree. :D

My memory could be really fuzzy, but I remember reading a document several years ago that showed the number of applicants from both York and UofT to UofT's medical school, and the success rate for that year.

UofT had significantly more applicants, but York had a higher success rate (acceptances/applicants)- this is obviously a very small sample though and doesn't really mean anything. Take from that what you will.

We probably can't get a large volume of data, but if we could, I'd be surprised if the success rate of York applicants was drastically lower than from other schools.

Ha. I guess we didn't really answer your question.

In the end, its a decision that you have to make. Personally I'd go wherever you think you'll enjoy your life more. Undergrad, 4 years, is a long time - and you don't want to spend it in some dump that you'll be miserable in.

If you're smart, U of T/York, it won't matter, you'll do well in either. So pick the environment that you think will be the most positive for you and go for it.

I agree with this a 100% as I made that decision about a couple of hours ago. I've made the decision to go to UofT (mississauga) for Life Science while Queen's just offered me $3415 + $2000 (work-study). Money can't buy happiness. I know I won't be happy and will be miserable living away from my parents/home. I've also visited Kingston and though the campus is gorgeous I really did not like Kingston and I felt it to be a little depressing. Everytime I would imagine myself living there I would get sad. I know if I'm happier I'll perform better as well. Though it may look like a stupid decision it was the perfect one for me.

I agree with this a 100% as I made that decision about a couple of hours ago. I've made the decision to go to UofT (mississauga) for Life Science while Queen's just offered me $3415 + $2000 (work-study). Money can't buy happiness. I know I won't be happy and will be miserable living away from my parents/home. I've also visited Kingston and though the campus is gorgeous I really did not like Kingston and I felt it to be a little depressing. Everytime I would imagine myself living there I would get sad. I know if I'm happier I'll perform better as well. Though it may look like a stupid decision it was the perfect one for me.

You save more money living at home than that scholarship anyway if you factor in residence and living expenses.

Okay I was set on york after all your posts and still concidering uoft, but now I talked to someone on the phone who i knew from medical school at uoft.

She says first go to mac, then second choice she said go to UTSG, thats where she went and got in!

She said its amazing how people dont realize that theres preference when you do your undergrad at the school you apply at.

I was wondering if this is just because less york applicants apply. I would figure mac and uoft just would seem to have more applicants than any other school?

Who's to say we don't and haven't? Are you in high school or something? I can well assure you that the UofT adcom doesn't have any preference for a random St George Life Sciences student over, say, a bio student at UofO or Trent. Why would they? I can't think of any reason.

Who's to say we don't and haven't? Are you in high school or something? I can well assure you that the UofT adcom doesn't have any preference for a random St George Life Sciences student over, say, a bio student at UofO or Trent. Why would they? I can't think of any reason.

if i was a admissions person, i would keep in the back of my mind about the student's undergrad institution. even though i know its not supposed to matter.

if i was a admissions person, i would keep in the back of my mind about the student's undergrad institution. even though i know its not supposed to matter.

They don't care I'm afraid.

A lot of people go into UT Life Science program for its reputation (what undergrad reputation? lol) and end up getting boned in the a$$.

Every human is different, Just because they say they don't care doesn't mean they don't. location of 4 years of education might still hinder/help the process of admission, consciously.

who knows,

but srsly, have u seen anyone from Trent Uni get into med school on this forum or any other?

link me>>>>>

Every human is different, Just because they say they don't care doesn't mean they don't. location of 4 years of education might still hinder/help the process of admission, consciously.

who knows,

but srsly, have u seen anyone from Trent Uni get into med school on this forum or any other?

link me>>>>>

They don't care.

They don't care I'm afraid.

A lot of people go into UT Life Science program for its reputation (what undergrad reputation? lol) and end up getting boned in the a$$.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Okay I was set on york after all your posts and still concidering uoft, but now I talked to someone on the phone who i knew from medical school at uoft.

She says first go to mac, then second choice she said go to UTSG, thats where she went and got in!

She said its amazing how people dont realize that theres preference when you do your undergrad at the school you apply at.

I was wondering if this is just because less york applicants apply. I would figure mac and uoft just would seem to have more applicants than any other school?

Forget about getting into med school just yet.

You need to go through a grueling 4 years of undergrad.

Not to mention the beast - aka - the MCAT.

Do it somewhere where you will be happy. NOT where someone else did it.

Everyone is going to have a different med school success story, and if you listed to them all you'd lose your head.

I know its not the advice you want to hear - but its real simple... Just go to a city that you know you will be happy in, and that you won't regret your decision.

For some people; its cost, others its family - and some want to get away with family. Whatever is going to get you off should be the ticker.

who knows,

link me>>>>>

No dude. They seriously do not care what school you came from. It does not matter at all.

No dude. They seriously do not care what school you came from. It does not matter at all.

This is very true. I went to Saint Mary's University, and I know several people from Mount Saint Vincent and Cape Breton University get in as well. All that matters are your marks, EC's, and interview skills.

Its much easier to get top marks at a smaller low profile school than at one with a big reputation. As long as you have a high GPA regardless of what school you come from, you'll stand an equal chance of getting accepted.

A lot of people also think that going to a prestigeus school can get you a better reference letter. This also tends to be false. Although there are more people at the top of their respective fields at the top schools, they tend not to give a hoot about undergrad premeds because theres a thousand of them there. Furthermore, some med schools dont even weigh reference letters very much. They are used as flags to detect a bad applicant.

Okay guys, I think I've made my decision:

York:

From all your help I decided this stuff

1)I think ill have a better experience there than utsc

2)I think my gpa will be higher

3)I think stastics of more UT and Mac grads at certain med schools is a misuse of statistics (less york apply)

4)I don't think having a ut degree in the end will be THAT much better than a york science degree (My very intelligent bio teacher who went to st. george said what are you really going to get with a science degree? and if I try to further pursue any grad/masters progam undergrad school won't matter)

5)Rep doesn't matter to med schools (Many students go to schools close to home for undergrad, and when they get into med schools will rather accpet that school since it is the one they are closest to. For instance at UofT any UT who gets in will choose UT Med.)

Some other points are jumbling around in my head, I have to make a decision today!

Am I wrong? Pleaseeee, voice your opinion.

Okay guys, I think I've made my decision:

York:

From all your help I decided this stuff

1)I think ill have a better experience there than utsc

2)I think my gpa will be higher

3)I think stastics of more UT and Mac grads at certain med schools is a misuse of statistics (less york apply)

4)I don't think having a ut degree in the end will be THAT much better than a york science degree (My very intelligent bio teacher who went to st. george said what are you really going to get with a science degree? and if I try to further pursue any grad/masters progam undergrad school won't matter)

5)Rep doesn't matter to med schools (Many students go to schools close to home for undergrad, and when they get into med schools will rather accpet that school since it is the one they are closest to. For instance at UofT any UT who gets in will choose UT Med.)

Some other points are jumbling around in my head, I have to make a decision today!

Am I wrong? Pleaseeee, voice your opinion.

So far so good as far as I can tell :)

Archived