Premed 101 Forums

First year science: What courses to choose?

Hello everyone,

this is my first post in this forum, nice to meet you all.

I just graduated from high school, and will be going to UBC Science next year.

My goal is to go into Med School, i know it is extremely difficult, so i want to do some preparations now. I am just wondering what courses should i take in the first year. I heard most of the people would study biochemistry if they are going to med school in the future. Can anyone give me some advices? I am really worried right now.

Thank you very much!

Hello everyone,

this is my first post in this forum, nice to meet you all.

I just graduated from high school, and will be going to UBC Science next year.

My goal is to go into Med School, i know it is extremely difficult, so i want to do some preparations now. I am just wondering what courses should i take in the first year. I heard most of the people would study biochemistry if they are going to med school in the future. Can anyone give me some advices? I am really worried right now.

Thank you very much!

Hi there take a look around the forum and you will lots of advise on courses :) I think there are a couple of points that are good to know.

First no school really cares about the program or specific courses you take IF you get the prerequisites for that school. Many schools don't even have prerequisites, but biochem is a common one. Check out http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/b_omsas_e.pdf (which is the Ontario school instructions, a VERY important manual for my province) page 11 I believe. Each province has their own set of rules etc, and a lot of the time on this board is spent just discussing them

Second high grades are very important (probably too important really, but that is they it is). You don't want a course with less than a 80% if at all possible. Don't take super advanced "X" because you think it will impress most schools - it generally won't (consider taking it if it interests you though :))

At most schools bio chem is a second year course, as you need first year chem to take it. I am not sure you can take it right away in any case. You will almost certainly have a general list of courses from your program calendar that you will pretty much be following in first year at least that will keep you on track.

In the end you very likely will have to write the MCAT, which requires an understanding of physics, general chemistry, organic/biochemistry, fundamental biology, and essay writing. It is likely a good idea to cover these in school (most programs will force you to in any case which is good), but you can learn it outside of your program as well.

There is a lot to take in all at once but don't worry, your school has premed club, school councilors, and of course this forum can help answer all your questions.

If you're in ubc science there's really not that much room for choices.

The following is what most people take in 1st yr science.

2 courses of chem

2 physics

2 math

2 english

2 bio

1 bio lab

There may be some minor variances, such as deciding not to take all 11 courses and taking some in the summer or substituting an arts course instead of a science course, but for the most part, the above is what you should take.

Archived