Premed 101 Forums

Any radical accelerants out here??

Damn man, I'm guessing you're in a class of your own. I skipped grade 9 and finished my undergrad early too, but then I did an MSc and travelled a crapload so I'm going in old. Nice work. Must be hard to meet girls though. I know being the youngest student entering high school in grade 10 made my love life a little non-existent.

Hello folks,

I have completed my undergraduate degree, and am starting med school in Canada this fall. I am 18, and yes, I am not in Quebec. I do not wish to divulge details about where I will be going for maintaining anonymity,

This is not juicy info by any means, but you'd be surprised how small the Canadian medical school community is given that many people have friends who'll be attending other schools and during electives/residency. People talk.

Your situation isn't riveting news though (so no need to be paranoid.)

I think people are getting the wrong impression of why I posted this message.

The text in bold is what I wanted to address, it wasn't really addressed to your situation except to point out that it won't be fodder for gossip (in case you were paranoid).

There have been times when I or visiting elective students have gone, ohhh...so you are the ____ that people from x school talk about.....

Sorry - my previous post wasn't really directed at you, only the passing comment you made about anonymity.

Hello folks,

I have completed my undergraduate degree, and am starting med school in Canada this fall. I am 18, and yes, I am not in Quebec. I do not wish to divulge details about where I will be going for maintaining anonymity, but I am wondering whether there is anybody on these forums who has or knows somebody who has been radically accelerated-skipping more than 3 grades in school-that is in medical school or entering it (except the asian girl from BC who want to Washington St Louis at 19). I have found no difficulties socializing and maintaining congenial relationships with people who are 3 or more years older than me, but I have never really met another person like myself and was wondering if there was anybody here, by chance. If you do not wish to post publicly, please PM me.

That alone is enough for people to figure out who you are (and what school you are attending) since as you just said it yourself, there aren't many like you, lol...

Smart enough to get into meds but not smart enough to see that you've just given away your true identity? haha.:P

To the OP, don't worry about your age. Past 18:

- everything is legal so you'll be on the same playing field as older students (it would have been worse if you were 17 and couldn't go out/socialize with other students);

- a difference of a few years at this age is not as drastic as when you're 8 or 9 years old;

- age is not in always tied to someone's maturity.

I also know someone who went in med school at 18 and did really well, both socially and as far as grades/residency are concerned.

Hello folks,

I have completed my undergraduate degree, and am starting med school in Canada this fall. I am 18 and I am not in Quebec. I do not wish to divulge details about where I will be going, but I am wondering whether there is anybody on these forums who has or knows somebody who has been radically accelerated-skipping more than 3 grades in school-that is in medical school or entering it. I have found no difficulties socializing and maintaining congenial relationships with people who are 3 or more years older than me, but I have never really met another person like myself and was wondering if there was anybody here, by chance. If you do not wish to post publicly, please PM me.

omfg. gtfo.

Xylem 29, your argument is valid in general. However, it does not apply to my case because not many people are aware of my age and the other discriminatory criteria that are implied in my first two statements (ie, completed undergrad degree, entering meds outside QC) are very broad.

Except that as soon as you tell one person in your meds class how old you are the whole class will know, 'cuz if there's one thing med students like to do, it's gossip about each other. And, since med students at one school tend to know med students at other schools, at some point people will tell their buddies "omg, there's this guy/gal in my class who's only 18!" and your fame will multiply It wouldn't surprise me at all if on some away elective 4 years from now, somebody you've just met says "I've heard about you."

Just saying this 'cuz I've had people whom I don't know correctly identify me from my postings here (I'm an outlier at the other end of the age range). As others have posted, it's not a big deal. You're just not as anonymous as you seem to think that you are.

Except that as soon as you tell one person in your meds class how old you are the whole class will know, 'cuz if there's one thing med students like to do, it's gossip about each other. And, since med students at one school tend to know med students at other schools, at some point people will tell their buddies "omg, there's this guy/gal in my class who's only 18!" and your fame will multiply It wouldn't surprise me at all if on some away elective 4 years from now, somebody you've just met says "I've heard about you."

Just saying this 'cuz I've had people whom I don't know correctly identify me from my postings here (I'm an outlier at the other end of the age range). As others have posted, it's not a big deal. You're just not as anonymous as you seem to think that you are.

LOL, I've had a totally random person come into the chatroom a while ago and say my full first name (which I have NEVER disclosed on the forums). Then I had LostLamb confess that she sat next to me at the U of A interview video thingy - she figured out who I was based on like 1 thing I said, but wasn't comfortable enough to ask me right on the spot. So yeah, you're not anonymous at all (I personally am ok with that).

well, in october, med schools throughout canada will release the stats of incoming class and they give out age range as well. since you are 18, we'll know what school you go to. alternatively, if there are more than one 18 year olds accepted anywhere across the country, you'll know someone like yourself as well. just gotta be patient, answers are coming!

or this whole thread could be a troll...

I know someone who was younger than 18 when they did med school, and is a brilliant physician now... I also know some students in the "usual" age range that probably need a bit more maturing, so really it doesn't matter in the end. After the o-week "everyone who is x years old, stand up" game, people will just care how old you act, not your numerical age.

Edit:

PS Labeling yourself a "radical accelerant" and looking for "others like you" really is segregating yourself before you even start med school at best, and may make you look like a tool otherwise... this thread sounds kind of like a discovery channel-esque rare animal looking for a mate documentry.

And yet if he'd come on here presenting himself as someone "beneath you" and looking for help you all would have been oh so patronizingly kind. Not so easy to be nice when the person looking for help and acceptance makes you feel inadequate...

That's my, and TRA's, impression of these boards (a lot of the time) anyways.

:rolleyes:

My summary of this thread:

Op - "Hey, I'm a little different. Can anyone here understand?"

About half the responses - "Nope, you're a freak here too".

My summary of a bunch of other threads on this forum:

Op - "Hey, I'm retarded. Can I still go to med school?"

About half the responses - "You can do anything, if you try really hard."

Or maybe I'm just drunk and will regret posting this in the morning...

:-D

don't worry OP, it's only normal for someone like you to feel different, and I'm sure there has to be others like you out there.

Just hold out. Soon Professor X will find you and unite you with all the other superhero mutants and you'll be among a class of students where you belong

Have to agree with the above, about purposely segregating yourself. I've never heard the term 'radical accelerant' and I half think you made it up to make yourself sound pretentious. It sounds more like an explosive chemical than anything else.

I, too, will be one of those who will fall into the <19 category on the class profiles, skipping grades etc, but never labeled myself as anything. I was offered more chances to skip than I took, and could have done 3 three of undergrad instead of 4, but after a point there's no need to rush!

I've been with people 3-4 years older than me since I was 8 years old, and no one can tell my real age, and I mention it only to my closest friends. I'd rather just be normal, with the one advantage that I'll have longer to contribute to my retirement funds, and the one disadvantage about the f*cking drinking age!

I know someone who was younger than 18 when they did med school, and is a brilliant physician now... I also know some students in the "usual" age range that probably need a bit more maturing, so really it doesn't matter in the end. After the o-week "everyone who is x years old, stand up" game, people will just care how old you act, not your numerical age.

Edit:

PS Labeling yourself a "radical accelerant" and looking for "others like you" really is segregating yourself before you even start med school at best, and may make you look like a tool otherwise... this thread sounds kind of like a discovery channel-esque rare animal looking for a mate documentry.

wow, wow, and I mean, just wow! People are getting a totally different impression than what I meant. I labelled myself radical accelerant not to sound cocky or segregate myself but as a way of maximizing anonymity (yeah, I agree though, I could have chosen a lot of different other names to achieve the same effect). To japlanet, radical acceleration is a genuine term that exists in educational psychology (just google it up if you don't believe me), and yes, my sentiments match those you have written in your second and third paragraphs for the most part. My original intentions were simply to find others who have gone through a similar situation and share experiences with them. Nonetheless, I acknowledge that there was an error in judgement on my part to start a thread like this on these forums, regardless of my original intentions. I apologize if I have offended anyone. Hopefully, this thread will get closed soon. Peace to all who have participated in this thread :)

I've never heard the term 'radical accelerant' and I half think you made it up to make yourself sound pretentious. It sounds more like an explosive chemical than anything else.

lol I have to agree, it does sound much more like a reactive chemical / catalyst... Even if it is a word, I wouldn't go around introducing yourself as a 'radical accelerant' in search of others... maybe just look for some younger people in general

And yet if he'd come on here presenting himself as someone "beneath you" and looking for help you all would have been oh so patronizingly kind. Not so easy to be nice when the person looking for help and acceptance makes you feel inadequate...

That's my, and TRA's, impression of these boards (a lot of the time) anyways.

My summary of this thread:

Op - "Hey, I'm a little different. Can anyone here understand?"

About half the responses - "Nope, you're a freak here too".

My summary of a bunch of other threads on this forum:

Op - "Hey, I'm retarded. Can I still go to med school?"

About half the responses - "You can do anything, if you try really hard."

Or maybe I'm just drunk and will regret posting this in the morning...

:-D

You came home at 4am after a night of drinking and you log onto premed101?? Haha - you're a true med gunner through and through :P

Archived