Premed 101 Forums

Any radical accelerants out here??

My summary of a bunch of other threads on this forum:

Op - "Hey, I'm retarded. Can I still go to med school?"

About half the responses - "You can do anything, if you try really hard."

:rolleyes:

Or maybe I'm just drunk and will regret posting this in the morning...

:-D

LMAO 10char

hahahaha, brilliant

Radical Accelerant, I wish you luck finding more people in your situation. You are so young, and there are so few people in your position.

I had a friend who was like you when he was young, he often said that the hard part when he was your age was always feeling alone.

Aren't we all...

Radical Accelerant - I am jealous of you. You will get to be a doc and start living your life while you're probably still in your 20s. That is awesome! There's lots of insecure premeds here who need to put down others, but once you're in meds most people are pretty laid back and could care less how old you are or what grade you got on the last exam. Of course, you still have some gunners in med school swinging their ****s around, asking questions they already know the answer to in class, but overall they won't bother you anyhow.

Seriously, though . . . .

If the question is one of relative inexperience in life, and who can I connect with and upon whom I can model myself as a physician?. . . .

This is what a mentor is for.

Forget your classmates. (They're a great source of support, but when it comes to leading by example, they're generally not so hot). Medical school isn't easy, and it tends to bring out the worst in a lot of people. People won't have learned how to deal yet. It'll come. But medical students will tend to respond inappropriately under pressure, some more than others.

So find yourself a good, experienced, level-headed clinician. If you don't know who would be a good example to emulate, ask the senior residents. They'll know. Your best bet for being a good doctor (I don't mean the learning stuff, the textbook stuff, I mean the how to act when the roof starts caving in stuff) is to learn from somebody who already has all that professionalism stuff down pat.

Find someone who is worthy of emulation, and then use them as a guide to ethical behaviour. It's hard to know what to do all the time, how to act, what to say and not to say, and it's so much easier if there's someone you can ask.

Seriously, though . . . .

If the question is one of relative inexperience in life, and who can I connect with and upon whom I can model myself as a physician?. . . .

This is what a mentor is for.

Forget your classmates. (They're a great source of support, but when it comes to leading by example, they're generally not so hot). Medical school isn't easy, and it tends to bring out the worst in a lot of people. People won't have learned how to deal yet. It'll come. But medical students will tend to respond inappropriately under pressure, some more than others.

So find yourself a good, experienced, level-headed clinician. If you don't know who would be a good example to emulate, ask the senior residents. They'll know. Your best bet for being a good doctor (I don't mean the learning stuff, the textbook stuff, I mean the how to act when the roof starts caving in stuff) is to learn from somebody who already has all that professionalism stuff down pat.

Find someone who is worthy of emulation, and then use them as a guide to ethical behaviour. It's hard to know what to do all the time, how to act, what to say and not to say, and it's so much easier if there's someone you can ask.

What a great post.

Archived