Premed 101 Forums

Is the medical profession right for me?

binbin

Professional schools like law, medicine, dentistry etc should be open to high school graduates just like Quebec, UK, Aust., East Asia.

I have already wasted 4 years of my life with a stupid bachelor degree.

Hmm okay, but imagine you were in high school right now and had to decide what you were going to do with your life...your Bachelor's degree just bought you four years of thinking and getting life experience time. Which should have hopefully given you an idea of what you are going to do, but I can understand that it takes even more than that at times. Knowing what you want to do is a tough thing to realize, and honestly I don't think its as cut and paste as "here's what I like and don't like Please Lords of Premed tell me what I should do"

I think you should list careers you would consider, try getting volunteer/ work positions in that field..see if you like it, if not cross of your list and continue.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't talk like this in real life. On the contrary, I am a very quiet person.

As I said... I feel very insecure about myself for not knowing what to pick for my career. My self-esteem has been very low for the past few years.

I like to make list just to be organized. I think it is easier for people to read lists, rather than essays.

Yea, dude, you should like totally be a Doctor! Tons of people hate their jobs so you can probably learn all that 'messy' biological stuff you hate, no problemo. Then you can get mad props in da club by dropping the M-bomb and you'll be making the 160k a year for the balla lifestyle. Yep, that's basically the doctor profession in a nutshell - mad respect and a balling life.

Seriously though, don't do it. And also, as a more general piece of advice, try living life for once! You seem to have everything planned out to a T. I dunno, life is messy so just do something you like instead of something that only fufills your 30-year plan :)

I don't talk like this in real life. On the contrary, I am a very quiet person.

As I said... I feel very insecure about myself for not knowing what to pick for my career. My self-esteem has been very low for the past few years.

I like to make list just to be organized. I think it is easier for people to read lists, rather than essays.

Sorry, I should have put a smiley to clarify, I was just poking fun. No harm intended (It is hard to communicate on the internet).

What's with the low self esteem? PM me if you want to chat. It sounds like you're a really bright guy with an awesome future ahead of you. I know it can be hard figuring out what to do with your life, I've done that quite a bit myself. My philosophy is "Life can't be planned. Whatever you plan will probably not work out the way you want it to, but whatever happens will most likely be better than your wildest dreams."

Keep you're chin up.. you're going somewhere pretty great.

Hey Microbiodude,

I totally understand what you are saying.

But, for the lack of better words.... it is a "chicken or egg" problem.

If junior high school students knew they could get into professional school right after high school, then they would have already used their time (at the age of 14 to 18) to seriously explore their career options.

And, not having to delay this process like what I am suffering now...

High school was too easy.....I have already wasted 4 years of my life with a stupid bachelor degree.

It is what it is. If you look upon your bachelor's as being 'stupid' rather than as a stepping stone for your next move in career planning, so be it. Why not just move forward with a positive perspective, consider your options at this point in life and choose the best path possible in the circumstances?

You are young and have a bright future ahead of you.

You are not suffering, just go forward from where you are. What is in the past, is time gone forever. JJ expressed a good philosophy and said it well in the above post. And you have no valid reason to feel low self-esteem.

Hey Microbiodude,

I totally understand what you are saying.

But, for the lack of better words.... it is a "chicken or egg" problem.

If junior high school students knew they could get into professional school right after high school, then they would have already used their time (at the age of 14 to 18) to seriously explore their career options.

And, not having to delay this process like what I am suffering now...

I suppose, but that extra 4 years gives people time to mature as well right. I mean I had the thought of being a physician when I was in high school, but it was in university where I matured, realized the commitment I had to make and realized that yes I could do it and want to do it.

As for the used their time in high school...there would be no guarantee you would get into a professional school. You'd be right back where you are right now (minus an undergrad degree), right? SO, what I like about having to do undergrad first is, you have 7-8 years (if you started thinking about careers during high school) instead of just 4. Does that make sense?

Does that make sense?

It makes sense to me. Maturity does not come upon completion of high school and we mature so much each year thereafter during our period of exploration of the world around us in UG. It is a time for us to test ourselves, make mistakes on our way to adulthood. And with the constant advances in medicine, nutrition, science and technology, we will all probably live to be a 100 years old. So, what's the rush?

About living in Canada:

I think Canada is a great country, but certainly not the best among other developed nations. If you came from another country or have had the opportunity to live in another one for a few years, then I think you will understand my view.

Why is Canada great:

a) multicultural : I think people here have a very high tolerance for the visible minorities

B) outdoors (Although I am not an outdoor person)

c) houses are still relatively cheap compared to other developed nations. (I came from Hong Kong, and the price tag can easily be 3x to 5x than that in Vancouver.)

d) working environment is relatively laid back. The average work week of people is 40hrs. (Now, I know doctors work 50 hrs + too) In East Asia, most people work closer to 50 hrs +.

Why is Canada not so great:

a) High school was too easy. Everything should be condensed.

Professional schools like law, medicine, dentistry etc should be open to high school graduates just like Quebec, UK, Aust., East Asia.

B) it is cold (I think Australia is better, but I have not been to there. I am fortunate enough to be in Vancouver.)

c) not a lot of history. (max = 400 years?) Countries in East Asia have history of over 1000 years. If you love cultures + history, then I do not think you can ever get bored living in the East Asia.

d) the culture is not as vibrant, and so life is boring.

(But, this is very very subjective. I am Asian... and still could not quite understand the "White" culture. Obviously, I think a lot of people might not get the "Asian" culture too.)

You seem to have more cons about Canada. So why not seek an education in Hong Kong?

Why is Canada not so great:

a) High school was too easy. Everything should be condensed.

And please try not to be so arogant.

ya, I understand.

The past will always remain as a past. I have to focus on the future, choose a career (the hardest part), and get my self-esteem back up.

Thank you for your comments.

Why is my self-esteem so low:

I have seen my friends, which have worked less harder than me on academics, that have gotten into medicine , dentistry, and grad schools in famous university (ex. LSE, ivy-league. etc.) . They all seems to know what to do. As for me, having worked just as hard as them (if not harder) in university, I still do not know what to do!

(Note, I have only said academics. Certainly, my friends should have EC (extra-curricular activities) that are better than mine!)

I do not faint at the sight of blood. I got over that already. More like, I think I will faint if I see patients with trauma conditions.

Even then, I have seen a study saying that about 10% of medical students have experienced fainting in their education.

No doubt, but most of the stories I've heard involve fainting in the OR while on call and on no sleep and no food. That's what happened to my dad back in the day anyway.

Oh, how awful for you! Of course, since you're not even sure what you want to do now, I'm not sure how being able to start earlier would help. Otherwise, in other countries med school simply takes longer. In the past, it used to be very common for Canadian med students to start before the end of a 4-year degree, but there's much to be said for emphasizing greater maturity for incoming med students.

B) it is cold (I think Australia is better, but I have not been to there. I am fortunate enough to be in Vancouver.)

I take it you're not from northern China, Korea, or Japan (especially northern parts!).

c) not a lot of history. (max = 400 years?) Countries in East Asia have history of over 1000 years. If you love cultures + history, then I do not think you can ever get bored living in the East Asia.

I have the strangest impression that (a) this doesn't matter in the slightest, (B) the Americas have no shortage of history, and © European history is most certainly interlinked with Canadian history - they're not even separable. What difference does it make, anyway?

d) the culture is not as vibrant, and so life is boring.

(But, this is very very subjective. I am Asian... and still could not quite understand the "White" culture. Obviously, I think a lot of people might not get the "Asian" culture too.)

Uh-huh. I think you can say that you don't understand Canadian culture without insulting it. Or perhaps you're simply living in the wrong city.

I am East Asian too, and like you, I immigrated to Canada (although it was over 15 years ago). I understand your view, and why you might not think Canada is the best country. But do understand that this is not the place to debate the pros and cons of Canada. You are posting on a forum for Canadian pre-meds, and you should be aware that your comments will offend people here.

Also, please be aware that Quebec is part of Canada.

You seem to have more cons about Canada. So why not seek an education in Hong Kong?

It is certainly not that simple. I am sorry if I was not clear.

Each pros and cons have a weight to them.

So, having "fewer pros with higher weights" can beat "more cons with lower weights". However, I am not entirely sure how I would assign my weights.

Anyway, I would like this thread to get back on the main topic.

Why is my self-esteem so low:

I have seen my friends, which have worked less harder than me on academics, that have gotten into medicine , dentistry, and grad schools in famous university (ex. LSE, ivy-league. etc.) . They all seems to know what to do. As for me, having worked just as hard as them (if not harder) in university, I still do not know what to do!

You need to realize that you are not in competition or in a race with your friends! We are each unique and come to the table of life with our own individual strengths and weaknesses. The name of the game is to recoginze and eliminate our weaknesses over time, to improve ourselves, to discover ourselves, the potential oportunities that coincide with our interets and abilities and to make a plan leading to a goal (always having at least one fallback position, just in case).

In your situation, you do not yet know what to do (and A-Stark is correct that having the so-called advantage of going to professional school earlier would not have been of assistance to you).

So, your life and its future is not about your family or your friends, it is about you. You need to figure out what you want to do in life within the boundaries of your opportunities, interests and abilities. While you are figuring it out, your choices are to contniue to pursue an education that can lead to financial self-sufficiency or to enter the work force.

I am an immigrant to Canada. My mother, an immigrant university graduate and professional, soon found herself in Canada after a couple of years with her profession going nowhere and she could not support her family any longer. She looked at other professions in demand, recycled herself taking a compressed program so she could enter the workforce as a professional in another field asap, and while studying, as she had to pay the bills, she was also working. She did not have the time or luxury to feel sorry for herself or vent on Canada. She realized that Canada is the land of opportunity, that her future and the financial survivability of her family as a single parent was entirely in her hands, and she did what she had to you. She was not trying to "find herself", rather she "needed to recycle herself quickly", which is precisely what she did. And she works hard, enjoys her work, is well paid and enjoys life.

It seems to me that you are in an enviable situation and that you should thank your parents for bringing you to Canada, be grateful for the education you have so far received and get on with life without complaining. Go for it, do something positive, anything, and you will be happier and find yourself. However, if you have the luxury of time and a financial cushion, sometimes this turns out to be a detriment and not an advantage.

The glass is empty, half empty, half full or overflowing, it is all in your perception!

Yes.

On the other hand, I have reworded my first post many times in order to truly reflect my original intent.

If you have not looked, then I would really appreciate it if you do.

I hope to get opinions that are based on this "new" post, preferably from current med students.

Thank you very much to those that helped

Hey future doc,

I am actually thankful that I have lived in Canada. The experience has certainly makes my life richer, and makes me appreciate what I have now and in the past.

If you think I am jealous, then perhaps I am!

But, I really only have myself to blame for not knowing what to do. As simple as that.

hey binbin, I apologize if my previous posts were blunt.

Ultimately, what you chose for your carreer, we cannot decide for you. That is something that only you can answer. We're giving you our opinions here, but our opinions are just that, ours. Everyone is different, and so you have to be careful in extrapolating them to your situation.

Right now, all things aside, you're done your undergrad. Obviously medicine is something you're still very interested in, otherwise you wouldnt be here. so why not just apply (along with applying for some of you alternates)? Application takes a year, and if down the road, you make your decision not to persue medicine you still can.

Good god, you should become a professional list maker or something. Do you talk like this in real life? lol I can just imagine.

"Honey, I'd like you to be my wife. Here are my reasons.

a) You have nice hair

B) You have nice eyes

c) Marriage makes financial sense for us.

d) I like women, you are a woman.

But, you're boring and you are disgusting to me 5 days every month. I will try to work around this, though."

LOL, a glimpse of win in this thread otherwise full of epic fail.

I do not understand why some people are very bitter about my post.

I have said some sensitive things without thinking too much, and I do apologize for that.

I am looking for helpful comments and constructive criticisms.

Nothing destructive, please....

If I were you, I would do the graduate work in Econ that you said you were interested in. From there, you could explore staying in academia, or working in finance.

Medicine is too big a commitment to do if you aren't confident you will enjoy it. On the other hand, I doubt you'd regret doing a Masters degree in economics -- it doesn't limit you to any one path.

I haven't read the 5 pages of posts but I'm just going to say that I also don't know what I'm going to do. I really don't want to do the MCAT (though I probably have no choice) and plan on simply applying to Ottawa U in my 4th year and see what's ahead afterward. But in all honesty, this is clearly (at least as a doctor) not your "dream" dream.

I'm going to guess you, like me, don't really have a "dream" job, something that you can envision yourself going to day in and day out with a true passion for. The only real reason you seem to be doing this (or considering it) is because you feel it is a financially stable and secure career.

Get off it mate. You can't plan your future that intricately as hard as you try. You or I may drop dead tomorrow....why bother with more and more years of schooling if you don't believe in what you're doing? You can't pick and choose 2.5 children, a beautiful wife and a fancy house...things happen, people fall out of love, people die.

You also can't base your life on what your friends have, people get lucky breaks all the time, some people deserve to be doctors and others don't, it's life. I mean seriously, how many people in this country are making 150k+ a year?

I would personally say the medical profession is unlikely for you, but that seems to be the only way you'd get the "lifestyle" you want.

I do not understand why some people are very bitter about my post.

I have said some sensitive things without thinking too much, and I do apologize for that.

I am looking for helpful comments and constructive criticisms.

Nothing destructive, please....

In a nutshell...

1) You don't think you'd enjoy studying medicine and you know you don't enjoy biology or life sciences. Strike one.

2) You don't have very specific motivations for going into medicine as opposed to other things that offer similar experiences. Strike two.

3) You're squeamish and seem to find the prospect of any kind of "messy" situation very unpalatable. As I said initially, this may not be an absolute dealbreaker, but you're down in the count even though you haven't quite struck out yet.

Apologies for the baseball analogy.

I didn't even bother to read through this thread and I skimmed through the OP...

But please, don't just go into medicine for the money. They are plenty of other equally qualified individuals who have better motivations. In the end, it is they who will go above and beyond and strive to provide the best care they can... because it's about more than a paycheck.

You are taking spots away from those people. Consider that.

Money is an important factor, but I did not say it was the ONLY factor.

I did said I enjoy helping people, which is important to me as well. I want a meaningful career that contributes to the society. I want to feel good about myself.

And, if I were a doctor, I certainly won't "cheat" at my patients and will provide the best care I can. (Some doctors do "cheat", and I totally despise them)

That being said, you are right, I understand there are many equally qualified individuals with better motivations.

Archived