Premed 101 Forums

2009-2010 Secondaries

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm applying as an OOS American --> US SSN and birth certificate.

As for Stanford. I visited the West Coast last summer (3 weeks), including Stanford and I realized that I'm not a West Coast person. I prefer the North East with the snow, weather, and sports.

Please note that GW does not screen on the basis of the AMCAS application. We invite all applicants who submit an AMCAS application to GW to complete the secondary application and submit letters of recommendation so that we may review the entire file.

I submitted my primaries a while ago but I haven't received an e-mail from GW yet. Should I start working on the 2010 secondaries?

So do all schools that don't conditionally offer secondary apps send email requests to fill them?

I have only gotten 4 emails from schools and I was under the impression that most schools didn't really filter people out at all, ie the more ppl who fill secondaries the more money they make.

I went to the Yale website and they said they required secondaries from everyone and you could fill them out as soon as you have an AAMC ID, which I have, but they never sent me an email to ask me to fill one. Should I be going to every school website I applied to and checking?

I submitted my primaries a while ago but I haven't received an e-mail from GW yet. Should I start working on the 2010 secondaries?

Yes. The earlier you send in your secondary, the better. GWU sends secondaries to all applicants, so you know you'll have to do it sooner or later. Plus, GWU has one of the easiest secondaries that'll probably only take you a few minutes to do. The questions for the secondary can be found at http://www.gwumc.edu/edu/admis/html/admissions/GW_Secondary_Application_2010.pdf

for the LOR, when they ask for members of the science faculty, does it have to be a professor or will a teaching assistant be sufficient?

Some schools will accept a letter if it's written by the TA and cosigned by the prof.

So do all schools that don't conditionally offer secondary apps send email requests to fill them?

I have only gotten 4 emails from schools and I was under the impression that most schools didn't really filter people out at all, ie the more ppl who fill secondaries the more money they make.

I went to the Yale website and they said they required secondaries from everyone and you could fill them out as soon as you have an AAMC ID, which I have, but they never sent me an email to ask me to fill one. Should I be going to every school website I applied to and checking?

You will get email invites informing you how to complete the secondary. Don't stress too much. Keep in mind that schools are probably getting a load of verified applications right now, so it takes them a while to organize themselves and send out secondaries.

Since we're Canadians, and if we're born outside of Canada/States, I believe we have to include a copy of our Passport/Birth certificate. So the package will include:

-Secondary forms (Sign and date it!!)

-Photo, 2x2 inches

-Copy of passport

-Payment

Correct me if I'm wrong please. This process is making me paranoid.

Since we're Canadians, and if we're born outside of Canada/States, I believe we have to include a copy of our Passport/Birth certificate. So the package will include:

-Secondary forms (Sign and date it!!)

-Photo, 2x2 inches

-Copy of passport

-Payment

Correct me if I'm wrong please. This process is making me paranoid.

I think it depends on the school. For many schools, the 2x2 photo is optional (until the interview at least). I don't know too many schools that I know that require a copy of passport for international students...the only one I can think of is AECOM...but correct me if I'm wrong.

Guest viscous

For schools with secondaries that ask questions such as "why school X" such as Yale etc, from where are people finding such information? I mainly applied there because I know that it is a research-focussed school and will provide more options to contribute to the research aspect (could be basic science or clinical aspects of medicine) even though I did not apply for MD/PhD. So in essence I am asking that where do you get such info from other than their website?

For schools with secondaries that ask questions such as "why school X" such as Yale etc, from where are people finding such information? I mainly applied there because I know that it is a research-focussed school and will provide more options to contribute to the research aspect (could be basic science or clinical aspects of medicine) even though I did not apply for MD/PhD. So in essence I am asking that where do you get such info from other than their website?

This is what you should write.

It's okay to supplement with fluff from their website. For example, read their mission statement: is there anything about Yale's philosophy that speaks to you? Read their write up about living in New Haven, then talk about how you think it'd be a good fit, etc. Talk about their "unique" curriculum.

Most people know very little about the schools they apply to. That question is just a way of weeding out people who don't care enough to read their website. It's the same thing for interviews. The night before, or even the morning of, everyone just skims through their site to get ideas for the inevitable "why us?" question.

We are currently entering transcripts into the application that were received on 07.13.09. Once an application is submitted and all Official Transcripts are received it can take up to 4-6 weeks for an application to be processed.

So minimum is 4 weeks? They are really testing my patience now.

Just got a secondary application request from Wayne State.. does everyone receive this? Does anyone have any idea how many people are cut off after the primary if that is the case?

from what I've heard, maybe half Wayne State applicants actually get the request .. not sure exactly. But congrats. I'm still waiting for mine (hell, my primary hasn't even been processed yet), and I'm trying to fill out the prompts in the meantime since I got them from SDN

edit: it's 5:15pm. i just got my primary verified. w00t!

Just got a secondary application request from Wayne State.. does everyone receive this? Does anyone have any idea how many people are cut off after the primary if that is the case?

I received mine as well.

Wayne State screens before sending out secondaries, but I have no idea how many people are cut. But based on SDN, the cutoffs seems to be around 26 to 27 for the MCAT. Apparently, someone posted saying that they knew a guy with 3.8+ and a 26 who didn't get it, but one with a 3.8+ and a 27 who did.

from what I've heard, maybe half Wayne State applicants actually get the request .. not sure exactly. But congrats. I'm still waiting for mine (hell, my primary hasn't even been processed yet), and I'm trying to fill out the prompts in the meantime since I got them from SDN

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get them soon enough... once your primary is verified. Good idea to start early though... they only give 4 weeks to submit the secondary after you've received it.

I got this the other day. It looks like a pretty heavy-duty secondary compared to what I've seen for some of the other schools. Plus, there's a time limit of 4 weeks from the date of receiving it to complete and submit?? Wayne State doesn't mess around.

Archived