Premed 101 Forums

2009-2010 Secondaries

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, have any of you had a look at the NYU secondary yet?

One of the questions is:

"Where do you see your future medical career? (Circle one: Academic medical, Research, Health Care Administration, Private Practice, Public health, Business/Law, Other) Why?"

What do you suppose the difference between "academic medical" and "research" is? The best I can come up with is that "academic medical" combines elements of teaching, with research and time spent in the clinic. Whereas research is only clinical or laboratory research. But I feel like I might be missing something. Any thoughts?

Does anyone know if penn state screens before sending out secondaries or does everyone get one??

thanks

I don't think so. I got mine this morning and I was verified a long time ago. They are probably just taking their time sending them out.

Hey guys, have any of you had a look at the NYU secondary yet?

One of the questions is:

"Where do you see your future medical career? (Circle one: Academic medical, Research, Health Care Administration, Private Practice, Public health, Business/Law, Other) Why?"

What do you suppose the difference between "academic medical" and "research" is? The best I can come up with is that "academic medical" combines elements of teaching, with research and time spent in the clinic. Whereas research is only clinical or laboratory research. But I feel like I might be missing something. Any thoughts?

That's what most people seem to think on SDN.

Research is pure research.

Academic Medical is more of teaching, mentoring etc. along with research.

That's what most people seem to think on SDN.

Research is pure research.

Academic Medical is more of teaching, mentoring etc. along with research.

Sounds about right. To me, the question is trying to see how familiar you are with the medical profession. In my opinion "research" and "academic medical" are very separate paths.

so from my understanding for michigan state...u need to pay the fee within 2 weeks of email and then the secondary should be completed within two weeks of payment??? so if I get email july 25th, and pay july 27th the deadline to submit is aug 10th? correct me if i'm wrong

________

synthetic weed

so from my understanding for michigan state...u need to pay the fee within 2 weeks of email and then the secondary should be completed within two weeks of payment??? so if I get email july 25th, and pay july 27th the deadline to submit is aug 10th? correct me if i'm wrong

Yep that's what it looked like from the text...

So if you want to buy more time...delay the fee payment. Though 2 weeks is suggested time....not a strict deadline.

I submitted my application to UConn on Monday, and got an email today saying that I've been placed "on hold". I guess its not quite a rejection, but it doesn't sound very promising.

That's hard to say. When I was reading the SDN forums, people from last year whose applications were put "on hold" at GWU received an interview invite a week or two later!! Don't lose hope.

Are you guys writing "formal" essays for all of your secondaries, or can you just jump right into it without wasting time on an introduction to your topic? I'm thinking that for questions like "what have you been doing since graduating?" or "why this school?" it's obviously ok to just start with "Since graduating...." or "XYZ school is a good fit b/c..." but what about the prompts with greater character limits and topics like "describe your personal attributes?"

Thoughts?

How did you guys handle essays that basically ask you to repeat info that is contained in your primary application? I have the following prompt "If you have already graduated, briefly (4000 characters max) summarize your activities since graduation."

By "briefly" and "summarize," do they want us to quickly list the activities we've done in essay-form. Or do they want to know specifics about our day-to-day tasks (even though that's all in the primary)? :confused:

well.. for the ones that asked me what i wanted to do in the year 2009-2010 i said i will be employed full time doing so and so.. and that I PLAN to do so and so. but didn't list too many things in case i didn't end up doing them.. then it will look bad. i didn't elaborate a lot. they already know what i did after undergrad. (masters.. etc)

well.. for the ones that asked me what i wanted to do in the year 2009-2010 i said i will be employed full time doing so and so.. and that I PLAN to do so and so. but didn't list too many things in case i didn't end up doing them.. then it will look bad. i didn't elaborate a lot. they already know what i did after undergrad. (masters.. etc)

well I understand the prompts that want to know what we'll be doing in the future, but I hate the ones that ask about past years.... Just read the damn primary. :P Hopefully someone can chime in on what they did for these types of questions.

Hey guys, hope you're having a great long weekend.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this question, but for schools like Penn State and Keck that ask you in their secondaries if you applied to other medical school besides theirs in previous application years, would you still list the schools you applied to before? I only ask because I've only applied to Canadian schools before, and I'm not sure if they're asking SPECIFICALLY for American ones. Do they even care about you having applied to Canadian ones before, and if you did, would it tremendously hurt your chances of getting into that school if you answered yes in the secondary?

Thanks!

trickybox

Guest viscous

in both my primaries and secondaries, for the "Schools attended" I chose 04/2009 as the last month for attending my undergraduate institution. I have now decided that I will again take some courses at this institution during 2009-2010 academic year. How do I inform the med schools Ive applied to that I will be attending my "school" for one more year?

Secondly, Columbia's secondary asks me for gpa, do I enter AMCAS verified gpa or the one on my transcript? I am still not verified yet so i guess I will have to wait?

just got screened in for VCU's today

was verified on friday

and now have over 20 secondaries sitting in my inbox -_-

yikes, I thought I had it bad with 9 waiting to be written. :eek: Hoping to get those all done by the end of this week.

Anyone doing the Kentucky secondary? Brutal.

just got screened in for VCU's today

was verified on friday

and now have over 20 secondaries sitting in my inbox -_-

I still don't have VCU secondary. Maybe I am screened out? Verified on 20 July. Got the email from VCU a while ago saying they would send me secondary if I was deemed competitive. I guess VCU is out of the window for me...

I don't have a VCU Secondary yet, and VCU said they received my primary app on July 16. For those of you who don't have a secondary yet, do you still have the status: "The School of Medicine at Virginia Commonwealth University on the Medical College of Virginia Campus has received your preliminary application from AMCAS. Your application will be reviewed. Decisions are made at that point as to which candidates will be granted supplemental application from us. It has always been our committee's policy to grant supplemental applications to those candidates who are deemed competitive within our applicant pool."

It's weird cause when I was browsing the sdn forums, someone had been rejected pre-secondary and their status had changed.

yikes, I thought I had it bad with 9 waiting to be written. :eek: Hoping to get those all done by the end of this week.

Anyone doing the Kentucky secondary? Brutal.

I don't think anything tops Duke's Secondary. Its my last one and by far the longest and most reflective I've written.

Archived