Premed 101 Forums

2009-2010 Secondaries

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder how long it takes Mayo to send out the decisions after being marked complete....

Hopefully next week we'll all wake up to one of those emails sent at like 3AM, telling us we have an interview.

The trend seems to be ~2 weeks between complete time and interview invite.

Have any of you submitted LORs to VCU yet?

The status page gives you a rundown of how they categorize the letters (i.e. non-science or science). Anyways, they regarded one of my Immunology profs as non-science. I'm not sure if I should call and ask them to change it or not... I can't find out if this is one of the schools that requires certain numbers of non-science vs. science letters.

Have any of you had experiences with VCU LORs yet?

two of my science letters were first classified as non-science. I called VCU and they were very helpful, the woman explained to me that if the prof does not specifically mention the course in which he/she taught you then it is marked as non-science. i simply explained what courses they taught me (one was my research supervisor) and she changed them right away. If my memory serves me right they require 2 science letters.

Damn, just realized that the essay I sent off this morning has a major misuse of quotations. Ahh this is going to bother me for a while. :mad:

I forgot to include my thesis course in the list of classes I'll be taking for this up coming year for Dartmouth... I dunno if I should contact them and ask them to add it on and risk looking like an idiot or... not O_O

My Boston application was put on hold today because one of my LOR wasn't on a letterhead (whoops) and didn't have a signature.... Do I just make a new LOR request forms and ask my reference to resubmit the letter? What qualifies as a signature in this case? (can it just be typed?)

I forgot to include my thesis course in the list of classes I'll be taking for this up coming year for Dartmouth... I dunno if I should contact them and ask them to add it on and risk looking like an idiot or... not O_O

My Boston application was put on hold today because one of my LOR wasn't on a letterhead (whoops) and didn't have a signature.... Do I just make a new LOR request forms and ask my reference to resubmit the letter? What qualifies as a signature in this case? (can it just be typed?)

Yes I'd make a new LOR request form asap..... The prof needs to actually sign the letter, not just typed name.

Should I send it to every other school too then?

I would send it to AMCAS.... that's required for most schools.

ETA: I see what you mean, yeah you're probably going to need to re-assign it to schools (although I guess there might be some schools who are ok with your other letter, but I doubt most would be).

I would send it to AMCAS.... that's required for most schools.

ETA: I see what you mean, yeah you're probably going to need to re-assign it to schools (although I guess there might be some schools who are ok with your other letter, but I doubt most would be).

Yeah, that's what I thought too... oy vey... having two copies of the exact same letter isn't gonna be awkward at all... haha

Yeah, that's what I thought too... oy vey... having two copies of the exact same letter isn't gonna be awkward at all... haha

Well considering they're supposed to be confidential, they'll realize that you had no way of knowing.... Hopefully your prof re-submits quickly!

Well considering they're supposed to be confidential, they'll realize that you had no way of knowing.... Hopefully your prof re-submits quickly!

That is true... maybe I should just assign it to all the school now so once she submits it, AMCAS can just send it out. She was pretty good about submitting the first time around so fingers crossed? (although the school year is starting soon :S)

On the bright side, Boston has two other letters from science profs from me so doesn't that mean they can keep evaluating it anyways?

Well the post office people told me it takes 5 days (no mention of 3 to 5 days). And I'm not sure how they count their days, but if including the day in which I dropped off my letter (in the morning) today would be the 6th day. Might ask about the guarantee. Doesn't seem worth the extra $.

Sent xpresspost to Kentucky but I'm on day 8 right now with no sign of delivery! Ah it would have been there by now had I sent it regular mail. Definitely going to go ask the post office what's up and where's my money?!?

Xpresspost is certainly one of the most misleading and infuriating options available. Pretty much every package I sent to the USA last cycle which was promised "under 5 days" took much longer, delaying everything from secondaries, letters of interest and tuition deposits.

Regular mail or bust, unless it comes to sending deposits, and I would recommend trying to get your money back. Ridiculous.

Xpresspost is certainly one of the most misleading and infuriating options available. Pretty much every package I sent to the USA last cycle which was promised "under 5 days" took much longer, delaying everything from secondaries, letters of interest and tuition deposits.

Regular mail or bust, unless it comes to sending deposits, and I would recommend trying to get your money back. Ridiculous.

Ugh I was hoping it was a fluke. Guess I'll have to go with regular mail from now on, seems that they let you down many times! :mad: Doubt they'll give me my money back but it might make me feel better to complain a little. hah

Ugh I was hoping it was a fluke. Guess I'll have to go with regular mail from now on, seems that they let you down many times! :mad: Doubt they'll give me my money back but it might make me feel better to complain a little. hah

I think you totally deserve your money back. 8 days is too much.

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/productsservices/atoz/parcelservices.jsf#US

they guarantee it 3,4 and 5 days provided urban location. I think most schools can be assumed urban locations.

I think you totally deserve your money back. 8 days is too much.

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/productsservices/atoz/parcelservices.jsf#US

they guarantee it 3,4 and 5 days provided urban location. I think most schools can be assumed urban locations.

Thanks for that link, really helpful. I'll go tomorrow and hope they refund me. The letter isn't even there yet so it will likely be 9-10 days before it arrives. Sucks.

I'll take it if you don't want it. :P

How many essays are there besides the autobiography?

There are two besides the autobio. Heres the quote from the secondaries site:

Page 3: Essays

Please complete the following three essays.

Autobiography: Write a brief autobiography. As completely and precisely as possible, give a picture of yourself, your family, and events you consider important to you. In doing so, identify the values that are of greatest importance to you. If you have completed your undergraduate education, please comment on what you have done or have been doing since graduation. (1200 word limit)

Contribution: The learning environment of the medical school is enhanced by the inclusion of students with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences prior to medical school. What in your background or your experiences will uniquely contribute to this learning environment? (500 word limit)

Challenge: Please discuss a challenging situation that you faced in the past. Why was it challenging? How did you handle it? Knowing what you know now, would you do anything differently? What did you learn? (500 word limit)

How much are you guys writing for the Why VCU question? I was under the impression that the limit is 500-600 words but I just read it again and through it could mean we are supposed to write 500 min and 600 max words.

I am currently at 345 words. 500 words would mean stretching it a lot with non-sense filler words.

How much are you guys writing for the Why VCU question? I was under the impression that the limit is 500-600 words but I just read it again and through it could mean we are supposed to write 500 min and 600 max words.

I am currently at 345 words. 500 words would mean stretching it a lot with non-sense filler words.

It doesn't have to be 500-600 words. That is the alloted space. Some people such as myself are probably typing up the secondary in Word, so you don't have the limit like that set on the actual box in the secondary. The 500-600 is a guide so that things will fit.

Personally, I will probably use up the full space. It is one of my target schools.

Does anyone know what happens if you don't get you secondary in within 4 weeks.

Nothing, unless it's one of the few schools that has a deadline. I have a bunch of secondaries that have been in my inbox for over a month.... :(

Which school?

Nothing, unless it's one of the few schools that has a deadline. I have a bunch of secondaries that have been in my inbox for over a month.... :(

Which school?

Wayne

I just got the secondary today... I was verified last Tuesday though...

ETA: Does anyone know if there's a turn around time for Wayne?

ETA2: How long did it take everyone to hear from AECOM? It's the only school I haven't heard back from yet since being verified...

Archived