Premed 101 Forums

2009-2010 Secondaries

I would go for the signature option. One of my previous regular mails has gone missing and another one was delivered like a month later. Not that it happens everytime, but there is a chance.....

I am planning to use Xpresspost for everything and Purolator for Connecticut (the procrastination is gonna cost me a lot of bucks on this one)

alright, thanks.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow 34 schools? It'll be a busy fall for you. :) Yeah apparently Kentucky screens but it looks like musicaldna got her secondary the day after she added it, so I'm guessing it's a very basic screen based on GPA/MCAT.

I don't think Kentucky screens. I got the secondary today (verified yesterday). According to the secondary, they do not take MCATs older than 2007. I wrote one last Friday (obviously no score now) and my last one was 2006.

I don't think Kentucky screens. I got the secondary today (verified yesterday). According to the secondary, they do not take MCATs older than 2007. I wrote one last Friday (obviously no score now) and my last one was 2006.

Well according to various people on SDN, they do screen but I can't say for sure. Either way it looks like we have all been blessed with this beastly secondary. :D

ETA: I just remembered that someone was screened-out and didn't even receive the secondary so I looks like they do screen. Not sure how it works though.

Well according to various people on SDN, they do screen but I can't say for sure. Either way it looks like we have all been blessed with this beastly secondary. :D

ETA: I just remembered that someone was screened-out and didn't even receive the secondary so I looks like they do screen. Not sure how it works though.

If it means anything, I actually applied for the Special Program. Maybe there is a different set of screening criteria

I really wish I had applied to this school. The schools that bother to screen before sending out a secondary are great. Saves everybody time and $$$.

Have any of you submitted LORs to VCU yet?

The status page gives you a rundown of how they categorize the letters (i.e. non-science or science). Anyways, they regarded one of my Immunology profs as non-science. I'm not sure if I should call and ask them to change it or not... I can't find out if this is one of the schools that requires certain numbers of non-science vs. science letters.

Have any of you had experiences with VCU LORs yet?

I really wish I had applied to this school. The schools that bother to screen before sending out a secondary are great. Saves everybody time and $$$.

Yep, the screens are good.

For you Mayo letters requested people, has Mayo downloaded them yet? I'm still waiting for them to send me the email. Hopefully they'll do it in the next few days.

For you Mayo letters requested people, has Mayo downloaded them yet? I'm still waiting for them to send me the email. Hopefully they'll do it in the next few days.

I got the request email over a week ago, but nothing from them since. Really hoping for something though... an interview at Mayo would be wild

Have any of you submitted LORs to VCU yet?

The status page gives you a rundown of how they categorize the letters (i.e. non-science or science). Anyways, they regarded one of my Immunology profs as non-science. I'm not sure if I should call and ask them to change it or not... I can't find out if this is one of the schools that requires certain numbers of non-science vs. science letters.

Have any of you had experiences with VCU LORs yet?

I haven'theard back from VCU after primary submission..... I am assuming I send LORs only after I receive a secondary.

I am planning to use Xpresspost for everything and Purolator for Connecticut (the procrastination is gonna cost me a lot of bucks on this one)

FWIW I sent signature pages to 2 schools through xpresspost (paid $15 each) and they got there in 6 days. When I send stuff to my sister in Denver through regular mail (~$1 stamps), she gets them in 7 days. So I just wasted $28. :(

FWIW I sent signature pages to 2 schools through xpresspost (paid $15 each) and they got there in 6 days. When I send stuff to my sister in Denver through regular mail (~$1 stamps), she gets them in 7 days. So I just wasted $28. :(

I know Xpresspost has been quite slow lately, all my mails have been reaching the destination on the last day of their guarantee time period. I guess they are just charging for the tracking system.

Btw, I thought xpresspost takes 3-5 days. Does the 6th day fall into their guarantee period? If not, you can always call and ask for your money back. They take this thing quite seriously (I have had refund from Purolator before for being one day late).

I know Xpresspost has been quite slow lately, all my mails have been reaching the destination on the last day of their guarantee time period. I guess they are just charging for the tracking system.

Btw, I thought xpresspost takes 3-5 days. Does the 6th day fall into their guarantee period? If not, you can always call and ask for your money back. They take this thing quite seriously (I have had refund from Purolator before for being one day late).

Well the post office people told me it takes 5 days (no mention of 3 to 5 days). And I'm not sure how they count their days, but if including the day in which I dropped off my letter (in the morning) today would be the 6th day. Might ask about the guarantee. Doesn't seem worth the extra $.

Finally Rec'd VCU...that took long...am I supposed to feel good about this?

I haven't looked at it. Is it bad?

I got verified yesterday and got VCU 2ndary today. I'm guessing they actually do screen? Anyways, for those of you who are doing it, what is implied by "Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education"? Lapse? UG education? Is that supposed to be "Explain bad marks"?

I got verified yesterday and got VCU 2ndary today. I'm guessing they actually do screen? Anyways, for those of you who are doing it, what is implied by "Please briefly explain any lapses in your undergraduate education"? Lapse? UG education? Is that supposed to be "Explain bad marks"?

Wouldn't that mean some sort of a gap or break from the education?

I guess they waited for certain number of applicants to pool before screening them all at once...

I've just been marked complete at VCU recently.

I called in today asking about that question too. The very nice admissions lady said that it can explain pretty much anything you want, ie. grades, breaks during undergrad, if you just finished undergrad and are applying this year, etc.

Hope that helps!

Finally Rec'd VCU...that took long...am I supposed to feel good about this?

I haven't looked at it. Is it bad?

just got mine too today, after waiting like a month after AMCAS verification. Whew. Now to find out wtf VCU is all about, for writing my secondary..

definitely looks less painful than say wayne state or maryland, so this is not 'bad'.

For schools that ask for pictures with specific sizes (usually 2X2 or 2X3), do you think it would be ok if my pics are not exactly the specified size? The machine I used wasn't giving me the right options so I ended up with a bunch of 2.5 X 3.5 pics. Doesn't sound like much of a difference but they are kinda big.... :confused:

For anyone done the Columbia secondary...

Do I put my SIN instead of SSN? and what do I put for the date until my permanent address/email "expire"? They also ask for our phone numbers so do I type in the country code (011) and then 1 + area code?

I'm also not sure what they are asking for when they ask you to list your "collegiate activities"... do those activities have to be university associated? (i.e. varsity team) or just activities done while you were in university? (in which case why can't they look at my primary? <_< )

And for when they as "what sort of work did you do" should I include descriptions or merely a descriptive title?

I finally got notification from Mayo that they received my LORs. It took almost 2 weeks.

Archived