Premed 101 Forums

2009-2010 Secondaries

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

do I need to inform schools from whom I have received secondaries that I would not be completing their secondary and hence withdrawing? reason being too late in the game for some schools and not wanting to risk avg $100/secondary just to get a futile result.

Er, for the Vanderbilt secondary, they ask if you waive the right to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 or not... is it something that I should waive? Why do they care?

I also have a letter from my high school music teacher as a LOR to Vanderbilt but since I have to enter the school for my referee, I'm feeling the need to submit another letter I have from another science professor. I just know that the letter from my music teacher is strong while I have no idea what the other letter is like (granted, I know it won't be bad, it's just a matter of how strong it is...) Thoughts?

Finishing up a texas application I plan on submitting tonight. My brain is dead after spending the day on my OMSAS app. Would appreciate your input on this prompt:

Describe the setting in which you envision conducting your medical career. Also include how and why you think this setting would help fulfill your interests related to the practice of medicine.:

Given the character limits I would have to be pretty focused with my topic. Any opinion on what is meant by "setting?" I feel like I could write about underserved area as a setting, academic medicine vs research vs clinical, specialties vs primary care, inpatient vs outpatient, etc. I hate questions open to interpretation.:(

Finishing up a texas application I plan on submitting tonight. My brain is dead after spending the day on my OMSAS app. Would appreciate your input on this prompt:

Describe the setting in which you envision conducting your medical career. Also include how and why you think this setting would help fulfill your interests related to the practice of medicine.:

Given the character limits I would have to be pretty focused with my topic. Any opinion on what is meant by "setting?" I feel like I could write about underserved area as a setting, academic medicine vs research vs clinical, specialties vs primary care, inpatient vs outpatient, etc. I hate questions open to interpretation.:(

Rural or urban, more practice oriented or academic/research, GP or specialty seems to be my interpretation. Otherwise, "What kind of doctor do you want to be?"

The second part of the prompt seems to attempt to correlate or confirm your interests in medicine with the type of physician you want to be. Do they match or make sense.

This is kind of a n00b question but I'm almost ready to submit my Vanderbilt secondary and I was wondering, for my LORs, I currently have two letters from science professors and another one from my high school music teacher (I was really involved in music but it's also sort of a character reference). Vanderbilt asks which school the reference comes from so I'm kind of second guessing myself. I have another letter from a third Science professor... should I send that one instead?

Archived