Premed 101 Forums

2009-2010 Secondaries

I think they want you to talk about general problems that you could see coming up as a physician. I answered the question by talking about challenges doctors face in dealing with difficult emotional situations involving patients. I gave an example from a clinical research study that I was involved in.

Ok thanks, makes me feel better since I'm about to send it off and I wrote about general problems.... :)

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey rmitch have you figured out what that pilot background check is with uconn? Something about personal credential review done by phone.... ?

No... I never got a phone call or anything. I actually submitted back in July and got put on hold almost immediately after submitting. I'm sure if you past some initial screen and they decide to check you out, you'll get the background check

Rach, have you heard back from mayo yet? My LORs were verified ages ago (aug 20) and I still haven't heard a peep from them. I'm starting to smell a rejection....

I remember you being verified around the same time. Any word?

I was complete the same day at you and haven't heard a thing. I'm hoping this week will be the week! I'm pretty sure some people who were complete around that day have been rejected already so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there is still hope for us. :P Let me know if you hear anything, good luck.

I was complete the same day at you and haven't heard a thing. I'm hoping this week will be the week! I'm pretty sure some people who were complete around that day have been rejected already so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there is still hope for us. :P Let me know if you hear anything, good luck.

Ya I was complete on 20/8....no news yet.

For those who did the Vandy autobio. essay, how far back did you go? I know US meds don't care about what happened prior to college, but it seems like they want a more personal autobio. since they ask about family and all.

deeman, I went waaay back. All the way back to my childhood to talk about my family, upbringing, etc. I touched on a bit during highschool and then focused most of the essay on uni + post-uni. I definitely made it more personal than my other essays and tried to make it more of a 'story'.

This will be a tough question but does anyone remember which of these schools had a secondary that asked about prerequisites? (namely those that asked for 8.0 credit hours?) I can't seem to access the secondaries anymore and also don't see the info on the SDN forums...

I applied to the following:

Georgetown University School of Medicine

Jefferson Medical Coll. of Thomas Jefferson Univ.

New York University (I remember them asking for 6)

Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science

SUNY Upstate Medical University

Vanderbilt University School of Medicine

Wake Forest University School of Medicine

Wayne State University School of Medicine

Many thanks goes out to anyone who can remember this obscure detail!!

Hey guys, for connecticut's secondary.... the 3rd question on problems we'll face as physicians, I'm unclear as to what they are asking. Do they want us to show that we know what is involved in the profession and relay what problems any physician might have? I'm assuming we can't discuss general problems about the system since this was addressed in question 2, but do they want problems that any physician would have rather than the problems WE will have as a result of our personal characteristics?

Sorry if this is late - not beein on the forum the last few days.

I agree with rmitch. I replied in similar vein as well.

For those who did the Vandy autobio. essay, how far back did you go? I know US meds don't care about what happened prior to college, but it seems like they want a more personal autobio. since they ask about family and all.

I wrote my whole life story but was careful when I had to repeat some of the points from my personal statement (without using it verbatim). I think the purpose is to understand you as a person, family background, etc. If you are not in school this year, I think it is important that you cover what you will be doing this year as well (I did anyway).

rmitch and JC5, did you guys struggle at all with the "mistake" essay for SUNY Upstate or is it just me? I'm having the hardest time coming up with something. I'm not sure if I should pick a mistake in every day life, or use a mistake I made at work/volunteering so that it can be more directly related to mistakes one would make as a doc.

rmitch and JC5, did you guys struggle at all with the "mistake" essay for SUNY Upstate or is it just me? I'm having the hardest time coming up with something. I'm not sure if I should pick a mistake in every day life, or use a mistake I made at work/volunteering so that it can be more directly related to mistakes one would make as a doc.

I haven't written it yet (give it a few hours) but, after thinking about it, I plan on making it a variation of my "adversity" essay. Basically, mine is a long term (over the course of the year) one. I think it's more important to pick something that has a definite "thing you learned" from it.

It seems there are no limits to these essays? or have I overlooked something? (something tells me a page for some reason but I'm not sure)

I haven't written it yet (give it a few hours) but, after thinking about it, I plan on making it a variation of my "adversity" essay. Basically, mine is a long term (over the course of the year) one. I think it's more important to pick something that has a definite "thing you learned" from it.

It seems there are no limits to these essays? or have I overlooked something? (something tells me a page for some reason but I'm not sure)

No limits. Hmm I was thinking they would want something more along the lines of the types of mistakes you'd make in medicine (missing information which leads to a mistake for example). But I agree that perhaps a more life-altering mistake would be more powerful. I still haven't come up with anything I'd want to write a full essay on. :(

I adapted my "personal challenge" essay which I've done for other secondaries. I focused on a mistake I made that has nothing to do with medicine. I talked about the lessons I learned from the mistake and how they could help me as a doctor. Good luck! I'll let you know what the interview is like after I go on Wed.

I adapted my "personal challenge" essay which I've done for other secondaries. I focused on a mistake I made that has nothing to do with medicine. I talked about the lessons I learned from the mistake and how they could help me as a doctor. Good luck! I'll let you know what the interview is like after I go on Wed.

Thanks for the reply rmitch. I have to turn this thing in on wednesday. :(

Archived