Premed 101 Forums

2009-2010 Secondaries

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
evidently some schools are still sending out secondaries

I just got UNC. Looks like only UCSF screened me out.

What do you mean "still" sending out secondaries? Im still waiting for my primary to be verified..and I have a lot of secondaries to receive still..

Why does everyone on this forum make it sound like everythings over???:(

evidently some schools are still sending out secondaries

I just got UNC. Looks like only UCSF screened me out.

wow I'm impressed that you got UNC's secondary.... they appear to be really harsh with OOS so I can't imagine how amazing you must be to have gotten one as an international. :P

What do you mean "still" sending out secondaries? Im still waiting for my primary to be verified..and I have a lot of secondaries to receive still..

Why does everyone on this forum make it sound like everythings over???:(

My secondaries are trickling in (submitting 4 tomorrow and awaiting another 8) - but I feel the knot in my stomach everytime I read a post here that sounds like all the admissions are over!!

I feel your pain!

I received an email from Jefferson sent to "Canadian Applicants 2010 Application cycle" stating that Canadians would have to submit a paper handwritten application with a cheque.

Any thoughts on this? Has Jefferson changed its policy of considering Canadians as OOS?

Hmm that's weird. I have an interview scheduled already and I did not get that email.... Paid online via CC. :confused:

May be it is a recent phenomenon for late applicants like me or perhaps they are having some glitch with their online system :(

Best of luck for your interview Rach!

I hope you will get your interview soon musicaldna. Why don't you give them a call just to ensure that everything in your application is in order?

Seems like a few universities are having issues with their online application process (AMCAS is having an issue with mine but that seems to be the story of my life!!!!)

May be it is a recent phenomenon for late applicants like me or perhaps they are having some glitch with their online system :(

I hope you will get your interview soon musicaldna. Why don't you give them a call just to ensure that everything in your application is in order?

Seems like a few universities are having issues with their online application process (AMCAS is having an issue with mine but that seems to be the story of my life!!!!)

Thanks. Sucks about AMCAS though, what's wrong with their system? Hopefully they get it in order soon so you can get your applications going.

I am reproducing the email that I received from Jefferson:

Dear M.D. applicants,

We have received many questions about the pdf format for the secondary application 2009-2010 cycle and would now like to thoroughly

answer these concerns here.

At this point in the application cycle, we are not utilizing the online secondary application system for Canadian applicants. The pdf

secondary application should be printed off and printed (legibly) in blue pen only. Once completed, please attach a cheque (personal

cheques are accepted) along with the secondary application. We recommend that you photocopy the items being sent

to our admissions office for your personal records.

Cheques should be payable to Thomas Jefferson University: Jefferson Medical College in the amount of $80 (this

is a non-refundable fee).

The secondary application should be sent to the following address:

Thomas Jefferson University

MD Admissions 1035 Walnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19107

Please note that courier posts are not allowed.

A notification will be sent via email once the secondary application is received by the MD Admissions at Jefferson Medical College.

We look forward to receiving your application!

Regards,

MD Admissions

I am reproducing the email that I received from Jefferson:

Dear M.D. applicants,

We have received many questions about the pdf format for the secondary application 2009-2010 cycle and would now like to thoroughly

answer these concerns here.

At this point in the application cycle, we are not utilizing the online secondary application system for Canadian applicants. The pdf

secondary application should be printed off and printed (legibly) in blue pen only. Once completed, please attach a cheque (personal

cheques are accepted) along with the secondary application. We recommend that you photocopy the items being sent

to our admissions office for your personal records.

Cheques should be payable to Thomas Jefferson University: Jefferson Medical College in the amount of $80 (this

is a non-refundable fee).

The secondary application should be sent to the following address:

Thomas Jefferson University

MD Admissions 1035 Walnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19107

Please note that courier posts are not allowed.

A notification will be sent via email once the secondary application is received by the MD Admissions at Jefferson Medical College.

We look forward to receiving your application!

Regards,

MD Admissions

I wonder if they had intended for everyone to do it this way, but maybe they didn't get that email out in time and a few of us got by without doing it.... Weird that they want it written in blue pen rather than typed and printed. At least it's one of the easier secondaries (I didn't write the optional why jeff essay) so maybe it won't be too bad. Try and send it off asap, it looks like Jeff is liking us Canadians so far!

I wonder if they had intended for everyone to do it this way, but maybe they didn't get that email out in time and a few of us got by without doing it.... Weird that they want it written in blue pen rather than typed and printed. At least it's one of the easier secondaries (I didn't write the optional why jeff essay) so maybe it won't be too bad. Try and send it off asap, it looks like Jeff is liking us Canadians so far!

Thanks, Rach. It is all ready to go and will be in the mail tomorrow!!!

Ya I hope so too. Seems like they are having problems with their online app. All the components in my application say YES for received so I assumed I was complete but I will give them a call to confirm.

There is not much to their secondary app so you can just send it off right away.

Ya I hope so too. Seems like they are having problems with their online app. All the components in my application say YES for received so I assumed I was complete but I will give them a call to confirm.

There is not much to their secondary app so you can just send it off right away.

If everything says YES you should be good to go but it doesn't hurt to check. I had NO for letters for a while so I called and the lady changed it to yes on the spot and was very nice about it. Then I received my interview invite the next day if I remember correctly.

I hadn't heard anything about an online system problem on SDN so it seems this is only for Canadian people who haven't turned anything in.... strange.

If everything says YES you should be good to go but it doesn't hurt to check. I had NO for letters for a while so I called and the lady changed it to yes on the spot and was very nice about it. Then I received my interview invite the next day if I remember correctly.

Oh ok. I have been YES since ages. Probably on hold....

Oh ok. I have been YES since ages. Probably on hold....

Don't you hate that? I'd rather have a status that says "your review is complete and has been put on hold" rather than wondering if something's wrong with the app.

It might not hurt to call jeff though, the seem nice about people doing that (unlike Tulane people who apparently get mad if you call).

Don't you hate that? I'd rather have a status that says "your review is complete and has been put on hold" rather than wondering if something's wrong with the app.

It might not hurt to call jeff though, the seem nice about people doing that (unlike Tulane people who apparently get mad if you call).

Haha ya I was wondering about my Tulane status but I read somewhere that they DO NOT want people to call for status checks so I decided not to call.

But they replied to my email and said I am complete, took a few days to reply though.

Haha ya I was wondering about my Tulane status but I read somewhere that they DO NOT want people to call for status checks so I decided not to call.

But they replied to my email and said I am complete, took a few days to reply though.

I still haven't gotten a complete email.... I guess I'll try emailing. :(

Yes - you are right, it is a simple application. Except that I have forgotten how to write by hand!!!!!!!

You guys are better off. My AMCAS application still says 'Waiting for Transcripts". Apparently, it is a bug that affected a 'handful' of applications and they are unable to fix that nor do any online updates. I cannot do any online updates other than add universities. I have to keep calling the Universities individually to ensure that they were able to view/get my verified AMCAS application and some of them just say that they have, without bothering to check (I caught a couple of them in the act).

And I have to call AMCAS everytime I get a secondary asking them to send the reference letters and keep second guessing if they have sent it or not.

You guys are better off. My AMCAS application still says 'Waiting for Transcripts". Apparently, it is a bug that affected a 'handful' of applications and they are unable to fix that nor do any online updates. I cannot do any online updates other than add universities. I have to keep calling the Universities individually to ensure that they were able to view/get my verified AMCAS application and some of them just say that they have, without bothering to check (I caught a couple of them in the act).

And I have to call AMCAS everytime I get a secondary asking them to send the reference letters and keep second guessing if they have sent it or not.

Wow, that is such a hassle. In these situations, you must start wondering where all that money you paid went...totally not fair to be paying the same as previous users and having to do half the work yourself.

Wow, that is such a hassle. In these situations, you must start wondering where all that money you paid went...totally not fair to be paying the same as previous users and having to do half the work yourself.

Yeah that is brutal! I wonder why they can't fix it, what a nightmare. Hopefully you can get your files complete pretty quickly then you'll be able to sit back and wait.

Hey guys, for connecticut's secondary.... the 3rd question on problems we'll face as physicians, I'm unclear as to what they are asking. Do they want us to show that we know what is involved in the profession and relay what problems any physician might have? I'm assuming we can't discuss general problems about the system since this was addressed in question 2, but do they want problems that any physician would have rather than the problems WE will have as a result of our personal characteristics?

Hey guys, for connecticut's secondary.... the 3rd question on problems we'll face as physicians, I'm unclear as to what they are asking. Do they want us to show that we know what is involved in the profession and relay what problems any physician might have? I'm assuming we can't discuss general problems about the system since this was addressed in question 2, but do they want problems that any physician would have rather than the problems WE will have as a result of our personal characteristics?

I think they want you to talk about general problems that you could see coming up as a physician. I answered the question by talking about challenges doctors face in dealing with difficult emotional situations involving patients. I gave an example from a clinical research study that I was involved in.

Archived