Premed 101 Forums

2009-2010 Secondaries

Oh I decided not to apply...I was trying hard to shorten down by school list when token mentioned that they rarely accept internationals.

I may add it later if I got time.

Hmm...really? I feel like if anything I would have said they do take lots of internationals...we just didn't know whether they were all US undergrads or not.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmm...really? I feel like if anything I would have said they do take lots of internationals...we just didn't know whether they were all US undergrads or not.

You are right you said, "Kentucky takes a ridiculously high number of internationals every year, but no one I know IRL applied....probably because it's in Kentucky lol. So I don't know if they're fond of Canadians or internationals in general."

Ok I guess no love for Kentucky from me lol

Oh ok. Well for what it's worth I've heard that for UK it's pretty important to get things in early. Think hard before applying, I'm now at 7 pages for the secondary. :eek:

You mean US right....

7 pages is ridiculous...I will add it this week most likely so that that's the only secondary I have left to do...

You mean US right....

7 pages is ridiculous...I will add it this week most likely so that that's the only secondary I have left to do...

No I meant U kentucky.... yeah the problem with the secondary is that there are no character limits, so nothing forces us to keep it short.

ETA: they screen prior to secondaries so at least once you get it, you know that you actually have shot. Makes writing it a little less painful. :)

No I meant U kentucky.... yeah the problem with the secondary is that there are no character limits, so nothing forces us to keep it short.

ETA: they screen prior to secondaries so at least once you get it, you know that you actually have shot. Makes writing it a little less painful. :)

I just added it....lol

Anyone have any ideas on what to write for U Connecticut's

2. What do you see as the most significant issue the medical profession will face in the future?

I'm not TOO familiar with the american healthcare system and I don't wanna get the topic wrong. Any starters?

2. What do you see as the most significant issue the medical profession will face in the future?

I'm not TOO familiar with the american healthcare system and I don't wanna get the topic wrong. Any starters?

Ya I am kind of not sure about this one too....

Do we have to focus on the american healthcare system? I was planning to write about just medical profession in general...

The good thing about this question is that it doesn't ask for a solution to the problem. I don't think I'm going to go into much depth....

Take a look at the health section of NYtimes.com, there are plenty of articles/opinion pieces every day about American healthcare reform. Reading some of these will give you an idea of the challenges faced by the profession in the not-so-distant future.

This secondary is tough. And I got put on hold the day after submitting mine. :confused: I hope you guys have better luck.

OK so I just got the Kentucky secondary.....lots of questions!

but seriously what the hell is this...

PERSONAL ESSAY

This is an opportunity to describe more about yourself to the Admissions Committee. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application is not an acceptable substitute. In the essay, please address the following points:

a.) Reasons for selecting a medical career;

b.) Things you have done to prepare yourself for a medical education and career;

c.) Personal characteristics and other accomplishments and experiences that you feel help qualify you for the practice of medicine; and,

d.) Why you chose to apply to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine.

e.) Please elaborate on any Kentucky ties: personal, familial, etc.

Is this not the personal statement? I am 100% sure this will be the last secondary I do.

OK so I just got the Kentucky secondary.....lots of questions!

but seriously what the hell is this...

PERSONAL ESSAY

This is an opportunity to describe more about yourself to the Admissions Committee. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application is not an acceptable substitute. In the essay, please address the following points:

a.) Reasons for selecting a medical career;

b.) Things you have done to prepare yourself for a medical education and career;

c.) Personal characteristics and other accomplishments and experiences that you feel help qualify you for the practice of medicine; and,

d.) Why you chose to apply to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine.

e.) Please elaborate on any Kentucky ties: personal, familial, etc.

Is this not the personal statement? I am 100% sure this will be the last secondary I do.

lol I told you it was a crazy secondary. :P Yeah, I can't believe that "personal essay" is only one of 7 essays, and alone it covers more info than my damn PS. haha Still not done.

I did Duke first happily but even I will save Kentucky for the very end -_-. SEVEN essays?

Kentucky screens? Good to know. I've got 30/34 schools secondaries so far, and I know the other four (UNC/Vandy/UCSF/Minn-TC???) screen so I better get crackin'

I did Duke first happily but even I will save Kentucky for the very end -_-. SEVEN essays?

Kentucky screens? Good to know. I've got 30/34 schools secondaries so far, and I know the other four (UNC/Vandy/UCSF/Minn-TC???) screen so I better get crackin'

Wow 34 schools? It'll be a busy fall for you. :) Yeah apparently Kentucky screens but it looks like musicaldna got her secondary the day after she added it, so I'm guessing it's a very basic screen based on GPA/MCAT.

Wow 34 schools? It'll be a busy fall for you. :) Yeah apparently Kentucky screens but it looks like musicaldna got her secondary the day after she added it, so I'm guessing it's a very basic screen based on GPA/MCAT.

yeah no kidding but I'm more than halfway done.

unfortunately the moment i'm done these i gotta get canadian apps underway -_-.

Haha I got a nice laugh out of this...

I am a dude btw....does my profile look girly?

It's okay no worries....

Haha I got a nice laugh out of this...

I am a dude btw....does my profile look girly?

It's okay no worries....

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that the screen is basic b/c they put you through.... Just meant that there wouldn't be much time to thoroughly review an application in a day.... :o

Double sorry for the he/she mistake. Your profile is very manly. :P

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that the screen is basic b/c they put you through.... Just meant that there wouldn't be much time to thoroughly review an application in a day.... :o

Double sorry for the he/she mistake. Your profile is very manly. :P

The laugh was about the he/she confusion only....

I am not really concerned about Kentucky at this point....I didn't even know they screened....I have to get wayne/evms outta my way right now...

For ppl who are applying to Wayne State, how long did it take your mail to get there. I am planning on using Canada post's basic service (it says 4 to 6 days). I'm in Toronto. And I'm guessing money order is better than a cheque.

I'm pretty sure a check would take a while to clear, so yeah money order is ideal!

For ppl who are applying to Wayne State, how long did it take your mail to get there. I am planning on using Canada post's basic service (it says 4 to 6 days). I'm in Toronto. And I'm guessing money order is better than a cheque.

I would go for the signature option. One of my previous regular mails has gone missing and another one was delivered like a month later. Not that it happens everytime, but there is a chance.....

I am planning to use Xpresspost for everything and Purolator for Connecticut (the procrastination is gonna cost me a lot of bucks on this one)

I was just verified a couple of days ago and I haven't made a LOR assignment for Wayne because their website said that they will request LOR with secondaries but I got an email yesterday from AMCAS reminding me that I didn't make the assignment yet... so do I wait for Wayne and see if they ask me to write a secondary before assigning?

I was just verified a couple of days ago and I haven't made a LOR assignment for Wayne because their website said that they will request LOR with secondaries but I got an email yesterday from AMCAS reminding me that I didn't make the assignment yet... so do I wait for Wayne and see if they ask me to write a secondary before assigning?

I think AMCAS keeps sending the letter emails every few days just to update you on the status of your letters...I got a few of those and ignored them.

Archived