Premed 101 Forums

2009-2010 Secondaries

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you guys think about Georgetown secondary? 5000 characters?

I am barely making 2800.

And I think we should check Premed 101 more often. I check it at least once every hour. I need some Canadian company during my US application cycle!

Almost everyone on SDN is American (3% Canadians according to their stats). Their problems are quite minute....a low mcat there is sub 30. Wish that was true for us......

I am barely making 2800.

And I think we should check Premed 101 more often. I check it at least once every hour. I need some Canadian company during my US application cycle!

Almost everyone on SDN is American (3% Canadians according to their stats). Their problems are quite minute....a low mcat there is sub 30. Wish that was true for us......

5000 characters IS alot. I still haven't tackled that secondary.

I thought that Georgetown was somewhat defined these days by its religious affiliation and its "Catholic viewpoints". I wonder how present that is in their medschool. Anyone interview there last year?

Crap! I just realized Hopkins needs an LOR from a non-science faculty member too!! OMG! Theres only 1 non-science faculty member that knows me well enough. I fired off an email at her but she barely responds to her emails! Dammit. Should I just forgo Hopkins for this? Or should I try and submit w/o that requirement fulfilled? I tried to call Hopkins to find out but they keep bouncing me to the automated message system, so now I'm waiting for an email reply from them.

I am barely making 2800.

5000 is the maximum. You don't need 5000 characters. Mine was only 1800. Just make your point and move on.

Are any of these secondaries sent out by snail mail? I won't be home for a while, so I'll mostly be working with the email ones.

I know GWU is one and maybe Uof Connecticut (they ask to attach it in email but the form requires a signature so I am guessing it needs to be mailed in)

Are any of these secondaries sent out by snail mail? I won't be home for a while, so I'll mostly be working with the email ones.

Rosalind Franklin, GWU, Wayne State, Wake Forest, UConn, SUNY Upstate all have components to be sent in by snail mail

Rosalind Franklin, GWU, Wayne State, Wake Forest, UConn, SUNY Upstate all have components to be sent in by snail mail

SUNY Upstate accepts credit card payments. So you don't have to send in your payment if you've got one. I don't think they require anything else that needs to be mailed.

For NYU secondaries, does credits = semester hours? Or do I put in 1.00 or 0.50 credits, like I did for AMCAS?

I never really thought about this, but I put the 3.0 and 6.0 credits like AMCAS...it is the AMCAS application that the ADCOMs are going to be looking at after all.

For the UConn secondary...

Does anyone know if the TOTAL secondary submission limit is 2 pages... or if EACH essay response limit is 2 pages?

2 pages X 4 essays seems pretty ridiculous, but the wording is ambiguous and you never know..

I believe it's 2 pages for all 4 essays. For example, you can choose to spend more space to answer one question compared to others as long as the total does not exceed 2 pages.

So if the essays are asking for something not necessarily medically related.. like describing a hardship or an experience that you enjoyed.. and I described something not medical but at the end managed to tie it to how it could be relevant to my future as a doctor.. would the adcoms find it annoying? as if I'm forcing these conclusions into these stories?

for example.. I worked with a man for a long period of time who was very different from myself in many perspectives.. religion, culture, views, age.. etc.. but we managed to become very good friends. the experience taught me to be receptive to people of all backgrounds and made me much more open minded.. would it seem out of context to say that this experience can benefit me as a doctor in that it can prepare me to work with all people etc ? what do you guys think?

@Username:

Not at all. If you genuinely believe that is what the experience taught you, it will show in the secondary and during the interview. The experience you described, it helped you grow as a person, made you cognizant of the fact that not everyone has the same perspectives as you and that they might see situations differently than you do and to ensure that you take these varying cultural, religious, personal backgrounds into consideration when treating a patient.

I don't believe that adcoms are looking for medically related experience in every secondary response (Although, this is not to understate the importance of clinical experience). In fact, the questions are left open-ended on purpose so as to allow the applicant to use whatever experience he/she wants to use.

Archived