Premed 101 Forums

HElp ** What courses needed for med school

I was just wondering about what are the requirements for med school. Like i know u need p-chem and o-chem and 1 year of biology. Can someone explain what the year round means? Alsowhat courses do you receommend in first year to take in general in order to fulfill the essentials? And should i take physics? I know American schools need it and it would be good backup. Thx for any help.

You'll need to take the enriched physics courses if you want to get into med school, because this is required for the advanced theoretical mathematics and fringe string theorum courses that are required for medicine. It's alright if you're going to a smaller university that doesn't offer these, because U of T has a great correspondence program set up for such courses.

To meet the prereq criteria for every single Canadian med school, you're going to have to do second semester O-Chem in first semester, otherwise you won't be able to fit the mandatory research organic practicum into your schedule. This is alright, because usually O-Chem 2 is offered in fall semester, as a lot of people fail it in winter semester. Naturally, you'll need to get an A+ in this if you want to even apply to med, but it shouldn't be too hard, because the HIV viral genome sequencing you'll need to do doesn't start until second semester. I expect you'll have more free time than you now what to do with. This should let you work on solving the homeless person crisis in whatever city you're attending school in, and you'll also be able to get a head start on solving the global financial crisis (don't worry though, med school ADCOMs aren't completely unreasonable, and they won't expect you to finish this until Christmas in your second year).

How many languages do you speak? If you're interested in medicine, I'm sure it's at least 3, but I'd recommend starting to pick up your 4th right in first year, since this way you'll be able to devote your 3rd and 4th years to translating ancient cyrillic into english, and just code-breaking in general.

Honestly though, I'd ease myself into things if I were you, since there's no need to go off the deep end right in first semester. Keep yourself limited to 14 courses in Fall sem, and things should be fine.

You'll need to take the enriched physics courses if you want to get into med school, because this is required for the advanced theoretical mathematics and fringe string theorum courses that are required for medicine. It's alright if you're going to a smaller university that doesn't offer these, because U of T has a great correspondence program set up for such courses.

To meet the prereq criteria for every single Canadian med school, you're going to have to do second semester O-Chem in first semester, otherwise you won't be able to fit the mandatory research organic practicum into your schedule. This is alright, because usually O-Chem 2 is offered in fall semester, as a lot of people fail it in winter semester. Naturally, you'll need to get an A+ in this if you want to even apply to med, but it shouldn't be too hard, because the HIV viral genome sequencing you'll need to do doesn't start until second semester. I expect you'll have more free time than you now what to do with. This should let you work on solving the homeless person crisis in whatever city you're attending school in, and you'll also be able to get a head start on solving the global financial crisis (don't worry though, med school ADCOMs aren't completely unreasonable, and they won't expect you to finish this until Christmas in your second year).

How many languages do you speak? If you're interested in medicine, I'm sure it's at least 3, but I'd recommend starting to pick up your 4th right in first year, since this way you'll be able to devote your 3rd and 4th years to translating ancient cyrillic into english, and just code-breaking in general.

Honestly though, I'd ease myself into things if I were you, since there's no need to go off the deep end right in first semester. Keep yourself limited to 14 courses in Fall sem, and things should be fine.

LOL! This post is hilarious! :P

To the OP - Every medical school in Canada has different pre-requisites. Look up their individual websites to figure out what these are. There is a comprehensive document for Ontario schools if you look around the OMSAS website.

lol wat ? ok thx for response but if i just take my bio and chem and take some physics in summer skool i should be good rite? sry ur response is too full of /s.

Epic.:cool:

I also have a question regarding courses. I have to generate my final timetable in a couple of days and right now it's absolutly full with: bio, chem, math and philosophy. I have no idea what to do with physics. It is interfering with my courses no matter how much I move the timings around. I was wondering if I'm allowed to take Physics(first year course) in second year? Also is taking all 3 sciences a bad idea because of the amount of work each one takes up? I'm not that great in Physics. I want to do really well first year. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

I also have a question regarding courses. I have to generate my final timetable in a couple of days and right now it's absolutly full with: bio, chem, math and philosophy. I have no idea what to do with physics. It is interfering with my courses no matter how much I move the timings around. I was wondering if I'm allowed to take Physics(first year course) in second year? Also is taking all 3 sciences a bad idea because of the amount of work each one takes up? I'm not that great in Physics. I want to do really well first year. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Physics is actually only "needed" for most schools because there happens to be MCAT section that requires physics. It's not like the schools themselves actually care if you take that course. If you are not good at physics, consider other options - protect you GPA if you can, in the end it is probably the most important thing. Some people take it in the summer, study it on the their own, or arrange extra tutoring support. Whatever it takes :)

You sure can take it in second year, I did for the same reason you might - there just wasn't enough room in year one. Nobody cares.

lol. awesome.

I was just wondering about what are the requirements for med school. Like i know u need p-chem and o-chem and 1 year of biology. Can someone explain what the year round means? Alsowhat courses do you receommend in first year to take in general in order to fulfill the essentials? And should i take physics? I know American schools need it and it would be good backup. Thx for any help.

mike, i got the answer to all your questions.

Sigh. Pardon my n00bness but how do you post a link like that?

99049275.png

you can highlight text and click that button, or create a new link without pre-existing text.

now this raises the question: how did i post that picture?!?!? :confused:

Archived