Premed 101 Forums

Starting family during/after school

So this is a question to the females out there. What are your plans on starting a family? Let's say you go an unusual route and start medicine at 28. You finish school at 32. Do you take a year off after med school before you start your residency to have a kid? Or do you just wait until you finish your residency and try for one at 36-38? I know that theres alot of issues about women taking maternity leave during residency. What do you gals think is best?

Hi Dilly,

I am not a female, but I am 32 with 3 kids and starting medical school.....one thing I have heard from a number of residents is that residency is considered employment, which means you pay into EI, and thus qualify for maternity leave. Because of their age, and the ability to take maternity leave many females choose residency as a time to have their first child. If you wait until after residency you will be considered self-employed and do not currently qualify for EI / maternity leave. Personal choice though, there are always many other factors, including your partners career etc.

Okay, I am not a gal, but my wife and I had our first kid near the end of her residency from FM, took a year mat leave and finished the residency afterward. I think for female, it will be difficult during school year to do so, because f the stress of school year, and you don't want to extend your student career.

As for kid during residency, it is highly dependent on your program. no one going to say you are not allow to take time off, but the amount of time maybe an issue. For example, for FM, Pathol, I am sure you can take the year, and finished it later. but if you are in Gen surg... Your fellow resident for that year might hate you for taking extensive time off (because they have to cover your call)

Hope this help

________

Lm002

So this is a question to the females out there. What are your plans on starting a family? Let's say you go an unusual route and start medicine at 28. You finish school at 32. Do you take a year off after med school before you start your residency to have a kid? Or do you just wait until you finish your residency and try for one at 36-38? I know that theres alot of issues about women taking maternity leave during residency. What do you gals think is best?

If I were in that situation... I think it's important to remember that you might not be able to have a kid in the "year off"... I'd probably just let things happen and hope for a flexible residency. I wouldn't try for a kiddie during med school, however.

I'm 25, pre-med and have a 3-year-old and a 1-year-old. From a number of "graduated" doctors, it's easier to enter school with children rather than have them during school. For instance, my kids will be starting pre-school and day care programs, be weaned from nursing, and potty-trained when I begin.

There are programs in place to help new moms and it is not impossible. Look at MUN, for up to 12wks old you may bring your baby to class and nurse it, etc. You have to show up early, set up, and if the baby fusses longer than a minute you have to leave until it has calmed down. I know at least two moms who've had babies in med school and wrote exams two days later! (I've written exams with both of my babies--loads of times--it's possible!).

You have to consider what is best for you and your baby. Don't worry about school--that'll fall into place. Do you want to risk having children in your 30s? Are you even ready to have children in your 20s? (Me, I was adamant that I have my kids before 25 and have nothing to do with bottles). There is no "good" time to have a baby...and while they require much care, they really aren't that difficult (mind you, I've never met a colicky baby, so I'm biased).

I'm 25, pre-med and have a 3-year-old and a 1-year-old. From a number of "graduated" doctors, it's easier to enter school with children rather than have them during school. For instance, my kids will be starting pre-school and day care programs, be weaned from nursing, and potty-trained when I begin.

There are programs in place to help new moms and it is not impossible. Look at MUN, for up to 12wks old you may bring your baby to class and nurse it, etc. You have to show up early, set up, and if the baby fusses longer than a minute you have to leave until it has calmed down. I know at least two moms who've had babies in med school and wrote exams two days later! (I've written exams with both of my babies--loads of times--it's possible!).

You have to consider what is best for you and your baby. Don't worry about school--that'll fall into place. Do you want to risk having children in your 30s? Are you even ready to have children in your 20s? (Me, I was adamant that I have my kids before 25 and have nothing to do with bottles). There is no "good" time to have a baby...and while they require much care, they really aren't that difficult (mind you, I've never met a colicky baby, so I'm biased).

Wow Cnussey-

You have 2 kids AND you've posted 59 posts in less than a week!! Forget about pm101 before it takes over your life :).

Wow Cnussey-

You have 2 kids AND you've posted 59 posts in less than a week!! Forget about pm101 before it takes over your life :).

LOL. I'm doing my degree by distance--both kids are in bed and I'm reading a few chapters before I go to bed.

It's either make a couple comments here and there in between sections, or I quit altogether and go watch some T.V.

WOW... you're amazing. :) I am in awe... I don't think I could have done undergrad with a baby in tow... I guess my mom did it with kids, but I don't think I could have!

My hunny and I are getting married next summer, and I'm starting dental school in Sept. We aren't even thinking about having kids until school is done. However, thankfully he has a great job so if (god forbid) anything were to happen between now and then, we could afford for me to take time off if I needed to.

Don't forget--he can take off some "paternity" leave as well so that you could re-enter school earlier if need be.

Archived