Premed 101 Forums

US undergraduate student?

niceshrp

Hi,

I currently go to an undergraduate school in US.

I do not plan to go to medical school in US though... since it's WAYYY too expensive and very difficult for international students to get into med school.

My home province is BC, so I will probably apply to UBC.

But just wondering, does anyone know if students from US will be at disadvantage during the admission process? For instance, would UBC med school prefer students from UBC over US schools?

Also, I guess prestige of the school doesn't matter in Canadian med. school application right? It does matter a little in US med. school admissions... so I was just wondering.

Thank you for your answers,

I dunno, but I can tell you right now that UBC wants a week-by-week outline of EVERY course you've ever taken outside of Canada, which in my book is explicitly preferring Canadian-educated students over anyone else.

Obviously, obtaining something like that is impossible, unless you are aware of it from day 1 of undergrad and pester every prof in your path.

Hi,

I currently go to an undergraduate school in US.

I do not plan to go to medical school in US though... since it's WAYYY too expensive and very difficult for international students to get into med school.

My home province is BC, so I will probably apply to UBC.

But just wondering, does anyone know if students from US will be at disadvantage during the admission process? For instance, would UBC med school prefer students from UBC over US schools?

Also, I guess prestige of the school doesn't matter in Canadian med. school application right? It does matter a little in US med. school admissions... so I was just wondering.

Thank you for your answers,

If you are a Canadian citizen, why would you pay more $$$ and attend undergrad in the U.S.?

Honestly, even you attended a top institution in the U.S. (harvard, yale,stanford, or whatever) and got in a good med school in the U.S.

and ok you are rich, you can pay for the expensive tution in the U.S.,

you will still have visa problems. You will have a hard time marching into a competitive residency program comparing to Americans. Even after residency, you will have visa issues again. It's hard to get a working visa in the U.S>

Man, I'd stay in Canada if I had a Canadian citizenship. And save $$$ for attending a med shcool in Canada and get a good residency position in Canada.

I wish you gud luck!

If you are a Canadian citizen, why would you pay more $$$ and attend undergrad in the U.S.?

Honestly, even you attended a top institution in the U.S. (harvard, yale,stanford, or whatever) and got in a good med school in the U.S.

and ok you are rich, you can pay for the expensive tution in the U.S.,

you will still have visa problems. You will have a hard time marching into a competitive residency program comparing to Americans. Even after residency, you will have visa issues again. It's hard to get a working visa in the U.S>

Man, I'd stay in Canada if I had a Canadian citizenship. And save $$$ for attending a med shcool in Canada and get a good residency position in Canada.

I wish you gud luck!

Aren't you in highschool?

Sure, you'll rack up a lot of debt...but everyone in the US does it too. Last time I checked, doctors in the US are still well off - though the American credit system kind of helps people live their lifestyle... You'll more than make up enough money for it, especially if you stay in the US. Don't be discouraged from doing something because it is 'hard'. That is a stupid reason for not going to an American school. There are a lot of Canadians practicing medicine in the US (including those who went to Canadian schools). Don't exclude this avenue if you don't have to.

There is still a doctor shortage in the US, and you can easily get a job + visa if you want to. You might not be exactly where you want right away, but it isn't a bad life. You also have the option of returning to Canada which seems to be getting easier these days.

Aren't you in highschool?

Sure, you'll rack up a lot of debt...but everyone in the US does it too. Last time I checked, doctors in the US are still well off - though the American credit system kind of helps people live their lifestyle... You'll more than make up enough money for it, especially if you stay in the US. Don't be discouraged from doing something because it is 'hard'. That is a stupid reason for not going to an American school. There are a lot of Canadians practicing medicine in the US (including those who went to Canadian schools). Don't exclude this avenue if you don't have to.

There is still a doctor shortage in the US, and you can easily get a job + visa if you want to. You might not be exactly where you want right away, but it isn't a bad life. You also have the option of returning to Canada which seems to be getting easier these days.

Yeah. The $$$ in the U.S. is good. But you don't have to do undergrad and med school in the U.S.

If you went to UBC for med, did 99 percentile on both of the USMLE and electives in the U.S. to get some LORs, you can still get a residency in the U.S. You won't have to pay so many dollars.

Speaking of visa, it's hard to get a H-B visa. J-1 visa is easy to be issued but you have to return to home to wait for 2 years unless you work in a poor area of the state.

And it depends on your specialty how much $$$ you make. Ok. You go there to the U.S. and match into family medicine or some primary care specialties like that on your J-1 or H-1b. Even in the U.S., it's hard to make $$$. But if you can get into a good residency spot in Canada (ROAD- Radiology, Opthalmology,Ane, Dertamology), beccause you have a citizenship here..

And man, you wanna get your training in Canada and practice in the U.S. The residents in the Canada pay their tax dollars for your medical education to mkae you can afford. And after all, you are heading to the U.S.?

But you don't have to do undergrad and med school in the U.S.

The OP is already doing his/her undergrad in the US.

If you went to UBC for med

Oh I forgot, it's so easy to get into UBC that you should definitely not even consider applying to American schools.

Ok. You go there to the U.S. and match into family medicine or some primary care specialties like that on your J-1 or H-1b. Even in the U.S., it's hard to make $$$. But if you can get into a good residency spot in Canada (ROAD- Radiology, Opthalmology,Ane, Dertamology), beccause you have a citizenship here..

So you're comparing doing a primary care specialty in the US against a lucrative spcialty in Canada...?

And man, you wanna get your training in Canada and practice in the U.S. The residents in the Canada pay their tax dollars for your medical education to mkae you can afford. And after all, you are heading to the U.S.?

What are you saying here? I can't understand what you wrote.

The OP is already doing his/her undergrad in the US.

Oh I forgot, it's so easy to get into UBC that you should definitely not even consider applying to American schools.

So you're comparing doing a primary care specialty in the US against a lucrative spcialty in Canada...?

What are you saying here? I can't understand what you wrote.

Off course, you should always apply to American medical schools. Getting into a medical school requires a lot of hard work.

I have no intention of stopping OP from attending a university in the U.S. However, I'd advise him/her to attend a university in Canada so he can save some money for medical school.

I know plenty of people that have gotten into US medical schools being Canadian citizens. My cousin attended Cornell in undergrad, and got accepted into NYU med. Getting a visa was no problem because after working in rotation at Mt. Sinai hospital, she had gotten to know the directors very well, which made getting an H-B visa a lot easier. Btw, my cousin got into ENT, so definitely not an easy specialty. My friend from UofT just recently got into Yale med as well as Stanford. Stanford is known to be stingy to international students but Yale offered her full tuition bursaries because of financial need. I'm just pointing out that it's not impossible to pay for US med schools, and it's definitely not impossible to enter into a competitive specialty in the states if you attended an american med school.

Oh ... in case some people don't know...

In US, especially in the Ivy league, the universities give you something called

"financial aid." This aid is mostly in a form of grant (= don't have to pay back) and is determined solely by your family's financial circumstance.

So, it turns out there isn't much difference from what I will be paying at my university vs out of province universities such as Toronto or McGill.

So, I chose US... primarily for new educational and cultural experience. So far, it's been good and I've been meeting a lot of interesting people. Plus, it's nice to get out of BC for once lol.

I dunno, but I can tell you right now that UBC wants a week-by-week outline of EVERY course you've ever taken outside of Canada, which in my book is explicitly preferring Canadian-educated students over anyone else.

Does this include US schools... ?? T.T... I thought it only applied to schools outside of North America.

Archived