Premed 101 Forums

Anyone you know switch from Emergency Medicine to Family Medicine?

I know of someone who made the switch, and her reason was that she didn't enjoy the fact that when working in the ER she never had the opportunity to forge relationships with patients. It was essentially a fresh load of people every day, and she grew weary of this.

She said she prefers family medicine because she feels like she is actually helping patients manage their health, and can see the rewards of her work over a longer period of time. She enjoys getting to know her patients and forming bonds with them. In the ER it's a bit more like working on a conveyor belt.

I know some people like emerg precisely because you are less emotionally attached to the patients, and you are generally involved in 'bigger' health problems. It is true that as a family physician, you'll spend most of your time dealing with high blood pressure and head colds, whereas in the emergency room you can directly save a life or two on any given shift.

But the stereotype is that emerg is something that is fun when you're young, but as you get older the hours get to you.

i met one that switched after 2 or 3 years of ER residency and loved his choice. Don't really remember the details clearly, but from what I remember he didn't think shiftwork was something that he wanted to sustain over a long time, and he missed continuity of care. I think he is still planning on writing the CCFP-ER exams so he can do shifts on the side.

• 1 month later...

I know someone who switched after 4 years of emerg to FM. Still had to do a year of FM though. She was eligible to take the CCFP EM exam but I don't think she wanted to because she had no desire to do emerg. Same things as what others have said here: lifestyle and continuity of care was the main thing.

Archived