Premed 101 Forums

Nserc

Zack Morris

How competitive do you have to be to get an NSERC? Does anyone know what type of marks/experiences are normally required?

Thanks a lot!

Depends on the school/program I have heard. If you have over 90 you are considered very competitive, but I was told by out councilor that over 85-88%+ (obviously the higher the better) is a good range to start applying. That was at Waterloo - perhaps others can say if it is similar at their schools?

Are you in Ontario? We also have OGS which is almost as much and a bit easier to get :)

I'm at Western and I believe to be competitive for NSERC you should have above 85%...with >90% (like rmorelan said) being beyond competitive!

NSERC like to see awards, publications or assistance in publications, research experience, teaching/lab instructing, etc.

Good luck!!

And yea, if you're in ontario, OGS is easier to get :P not by much because eeeeeveryone applies

We have our NSERC seminar tomorrow, apparently about 25 people usually apply for the award... the department picks 10 to provide to the school fo graduate studies, and then 5 or 6 of those get forwarded to NSERC. I wonder what the stats are like for those who ultimately get forwarded... hopefully this is addressed tomorrow.

We have our NSERC seminar tomorrow, apparently about 25 people usually apply for the award... the department picks 10 to provide to the school fo graduate studies, and then 5 or 6 of those get forwarded to NSERC. I wonder what the stats are like for those who ultimately get forwarded... hopefully this is addressed tomorrow.

Yeah, I wonder what happens then from the Council's side? Is it mysterious? My brother got turned down by SSHRC, even after being very highly recommended by his school. On the other hand, my gal-friend (at a different school, different field of study) got a SSHRC, without issue. So, I wonder how much your research topic plays a part once you are in the running?

Also at my school higher years got higher priority on the list.

At my school, the lower years (and those who havent gotten then before) got priority. I went to a smaller school (8000 students), and there were only 17 nserc awards, and they were given to the 17 applicants with the highest cGPA (full-time) so they were quite competitive.

It is worth noting that NSERC 'success rates' are quite variable between schools. I went to grad school in Waterloo, and they often boasted the fact that they had a higher success rate of NSERC applications than any other uni in the country. In other words, of the names forwarded to NSERC for consideration, essentially everyone was accepted.

That being said, I had assumed that my 85% undergrad average with no MSc and no publications would put me out of the running, but I decided to apply just for the hell of it. Much to my surprise I managed to swing a PGS-B (now called PGS-D) scholarship. I was so incredulous I asked the grad office about this (to make sure it wasn't an error) and they said that I was most certainly on the acceptance list.

So you never know, I say go for it. Some hints for applying are in this PDF. I think my EC/Committee work/LORs did it for me in the end, so don't let marks be the deciding factor! If you have a life outside of school, this weighs very much in your favour.

I wish you all the best,

Neptune

When does one apply to NSERC and OGS? I'm just starting my fourth year and was planning on doing a masters the following September (haven't decided where to do it yet, but will be in Ontario).

Thanks!

Deadlines are set by each department individually! Check with your school's department to find out. :)

Along the same vein; if you are intending to start a masters in a years time, and don't yet have a supervisor + only a general idea of what you would like work on- how do you generate a research proposal? Exactly how precise can some in that situation (like me, haha) possibly be?

That makes it harder but is also very common - I just found a professor in area I probably was interesting in and with their help constructed one. It is just a proposed area you might work in after all, not binding.

Along the same vein; if you are intending to start a masters in a years time, and don't yet have a supervisor + only a general idea of what you would like work on- how do you generate a research proposal? Exactly how precise can some in that situation (like me, haha) possibly be?

yeah I'd say 9 times out of 10 your research will never be completely what is stated on the proposal.

I found a supervisor for next year and asked him to write something up (he was in the middle of renewing one of his grants so it was easy to just take an excerpt from one of the potential projects).

Gah it does feel nice to have that part done. LoR's and I'm done. Still can't decide if I am going to apply for CIHR or NSERC as my national award though.... gonna be a tough call

Archived