Premed 101 Forums

Do I need to take Biochem?

newbie3

Hi Everyone!

I was just wondering if everyone has taken a full year of Biochem or not. From my research, I think the only Canadian schools that need it are UBC and Ottawa (though if you have enough General and Organic, you don' tneed biochem at all). Please correct me if I'm missing schools though!

But I'd like to keep my options open for US and International schools (Ireland, UK, Australia, Caribbean) for next year's applications in case I don't get in this year and am wondering if they require Biochem?

I've looked through 10 US schools and none of them seem to require it but if anyone has experience in this, I'd really appreciate it!

Hi Everyone!

I was just wondering if everyone has taken a full year of Biochem or not. From my research, I think the only Canadian schools that need it are UBC and Ottawa (though if you have enough General and Organic, you don' tneed biochem at all). Please correct me if I'm missing schools though!

But I'd like to keep my options open for US and International schools (Ireland, UK, Australia, Caribbean) for next year's applications in case I don't get in this year and am wondering if they require Biochem?

I've looked through 10 US schools and none of them seem to require it but if anyone has experience in this, I'd really appreciate it!

You don't actually need a full year of biochem for Ottawa, it is more of a mix and match from chemistry in general. I got an interview there with only one term of biochem last year, and it doesn't look like the rules changed :)

I was under the impression (Jochi would know :)) that at least one more out west schools requires it beyond ubc. Just can't remember which one of the top of my head.

Thanks for the respons :)

Yup I'm in the same situation! I'm ok for Ottawa but UBC requires a year of biochem. They recommended 2 classes - a 2nd year Kin or a 3rd year Chem. To be honest, I'd rather take the 2nd year Kin since it seems easier! For fun I checked with Ottawa though and that doesn't count as Biochem2.

SO, in conclusion, I'd like to take the 2nd year Kin, which should make me ok for Canadian schools (unless there is that other one you mentioned) but I don't want to skrew myself over for international schools!!!

Ok, so I looked it up and Manitoba does require a full year of biochem. They have an amazing excel spreadsheet of acceptable biochem course combinations on their admissions website.

http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/medicine/admissions/index.html

It's the last bullet point under the "Applying to Medical School" part of the page.

Hi Everyone!

Lol... I was wondering this exact thing myself... I looked at that yellow AAMC MSAR book, and some, but very few American schools actually require biochem. Yes, Manitoba requires it, and Calgary, if you search previous threads only recommends it. No one knows how much of a bonus you get for taking it, but it seems to be (from the thread) not very much...

With regards to international schools... I dunno... I went to an Australian school info session last year, and I vaguely recall them not caring, they just look at your MCATs and GPA.

Archived