Premed 101 Forums

Men: What colour suit?

PastaInhaler

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What colour suit should men wear to interviews?

Black, Navy Blue, Charcoal, Brown?

In the end, does it affect the outcome of an interview?

Of these four sample colours, are any frowned upon?

Brown? Since I've never heard of that as a popular choice, squash it.

you will be ok with the others although Navy and charcoal (dark grey, not light) are the two best choices generally.

yes this is debatable but if i had an interview, those would be my ONLY two choices.

no one knows if it affects the outcome. this is subjective. If i was an interviewer and you wore brown I wouldnt like you initially. You'd have to impress me more to make up for your poor choice of brown. But not everyone is like me.....but some people are. At the end of the day, go with navy or grey and dont worry about this again.....its almost meaningless and deserves no more than 3 minutes of thought......

You want to blend in rather than stand out. What is important is being personable, communication skills, eye contact, not being flustered, firm handshake, and of course in addition to showing social skills, showing intelligence, judgment, values and critical problem solving ability and being able to handle stress well no matter what they throw at you.

You want to blend in rather than stand out. What is important is being personable, communication skills, eye contact, not being flustered, firm handshake, and of course in addition to showing social skills, showing intelligence, judgment, values and critical problem solving ability and being able to handle stress well no matter what they throw at you.

Yes I meant to also say all this but didnt wanna be the only person giving good advice. I'm altruistic like that....

hehe, I understand sv, and I didn't really answer the question other than "blend in", rather I answered the unasked question to point the direction.

yeah blending in is the key. You wanna be remembered for all that stuff you pointed out, not your clothing. Good fashion will not help you here, but bad fashion can certainly dampen a good first impression.....so basically....just dont eff it up and then have a memorable interview for the right reasons

Trust me when I say that first impressions count at an interview.

I currently work as a divisional director at a bank, and I conduct and participate in many interviews when we are hiring managers at the bank. A positive first impression goes a long way; I know that all my colleagues are the same.

I am then making a safe assumption that a med school interview process would be similar in the sense that people are subjective. Despite all the brains and reasoning, you will find that many decision makers on a panel are influenced by who and what they "like." I agree that you don't want to stand out from the crowd for the wrong reasons, so wear a good quality dark suit. From that point, the outcome will be based on your ability to build rapport and show insight in the questions based on the quality of your answers. BTW, I've read many posts where people wonder how some people with a low GPA & CMAT get into med school. The answer, IMHO, is that there are a few dazzling communicators out there who, given the chance, can ace any interview and make a lasting impression.

While some people are naturally good comminicators, I would say most of us simply get better with time so it's not the end of the world if your first interview isn't perfect. We all improve over time.

I wore a charcoal suit with subtle thin gray pinstripes and the classic doctor light blue collared shirt with a blue and gold striped tie. At the end of one of the mmi stations I got a compliment on my suit from the interviewer :P

I also have a few classmates who tried the opposite of blending in and wore bold yellow ties and yellow shirts and another who didn't wear a suit at all....

I wore a charcoal suit with subtle thin gray pinstripes and the classic doctor light blue collared shirt with a blue and gold striped tie. At the end of one of the mmi stations I got a compliment on my suit from the interviewer :P

I also have a few classmates who tried the opposite of blending in and wore bold yellow ties and yellow shirts and another who didn't wear a suit at all....[/QUOTE]

are u kidding? Honestly............i don't care how smart you are....at a certain point respect and manners account for something.

microbioman....................your stats must be incredible!! hahahahahah

had you not gotten in, i woulda blackmailed for sexual harassment

I can't believe the brown suit haters! lol

I wore a dark brown suit, herring bone yellow shirt and a crazy ass tie and ended up having a choice of schools.

Sounds pretty classy and hot to me ;)

The biggest thing is looking comfortable (wearing a suit that fits!) and having the communication skills to back up the suit--you can wear something that stands out or blends in...as long as it's still appropriate (a fuchsia pink suit might be a bit of a stretch, but brown is doable).

I also have a few classmates who tried the opposite of blending in and wore bold yellow ties and yellow shirts and another who didn't wear a suit at all....[/QUOTE]

are u kidding? Honestly............i don't care how smart you are....at a certain point respect and manners account for something.

No i'm not kidding. I was friends with him before med school and it was our first time interviewing for both of us. We had actually heard that alot of people don't wear suits but i'm assuming that was other pre-med students trying to mess with us :P

Anyways, I talked to a few doctors who had conducted interviews in the past and they unanimously told me to wear a suit, which is what I thought. I told my buddy but he didn't think that many people would wear a suit. We were at the same time for the interview and i think 2 people out of maybe 60 who interviewed at our time didn't have suits.

I'm glad I wore a suit as I believe it shows professionalism and respect for the interviewers, but if your confident enough in your abilities I suppose you can get away with it, although I don't know why you would take the chance:rolleyes:

No i'm not kidding. I was friends with him before med school and it was our first time interviewing for both of us. We had actually heard that alot of people don't wear suits but i'm assuming that was other pre-med students trying to mess with us :P

Anyways, I talked to a few doctors who had conducted interviews in the past and they unanimously told me to wear a suit, which is what I thought. I told my buddy but he didn't think that many people would wear a suit. We were at the same time for the interview and i think 2 people out of maybe 60 who interviewed at our time didn't have suits.

I'm glad I wore a suit as I believe it shows professionalism and respect for the interviewers, but if your confident enough in your abilities I suppose you can get away with it, although I don't know why you would take the chance:rolleyes:

You made the right call man. When I interviewed people in the business world, if they did not come in a suit, regardless of how capable they were, they just showed they lack manners. Automatic X. Those interviews were quite short. I mean I guess there could be some excuse and if someone said something i'd listen, but it never happened. When you start thinking your oh so special, its the beginning of the end

You made the right call man. When I interviewed people in the business world, if they did not come in a suit, regardless of how capable they were, they just showed they lack manners. Automatic X. Those interviews were quite short. I mean I guess there could be some excuse and if someone said something i'd listen, but it never happened. When you start thinking your oh so special, its the beginning of the end

I like this last point of yours. An important two characteristics that they look for IMO are humility and humbleness. You want to show your accomplishments, abilities and personality but not in an arrogant, superior way.

And I agree with the suit as well, there are always first impressions and if someone looks more professional and respectful than another candidate, its going to be hard to change the interviewers mind in the 8 short minutes you have at a station.

Archived