Premed 101 Forums

Men: What colour suit?

PastaInhaler

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't agree with the blending in thing. Why would u want to blend in, in an interview. Why would u want to be the same as everyone else? Isn't medical school all about uniqueness?

This is not to say that i'd support you going into the interview improperly dressed, but at least buy/wear a decent nice suit that is tailored to your body

I don't agree with the blending in thing. Why would u want to blend in, in an interview. Why would u want to be the same as everyone else? Isn't medical school all about uniqueness?

This is not to say that i'd support you going into the interview improperly dressed, but at least buy/wear a decent nice suit that is tailored to your body

I beleive that is what everyone else will do as well. Way to be an individual

Because I was at the same position last year, a few important things:

--> just wear a suit that is "standard"...navy, dark navy, black, charcoal, grey, black pinstripe, these are ALL good options

--> first impressions are important of course...but your "first impression" is set more by the tone of your voice and body cues than how you dress...as long as you are wearing a suit you WILL pass the "dressed professionally" checklist (if such a thing even exists)

--> JUST DON"T BE ARROGANT. THIS IS THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING, ALL INTERVIEWERS LOOK FOR THIS.

--> Also, the way to be "unique" in med school interviews is through what experiences you can talk about and perspective you bring to the table...not how you dress...no one cares. just dress like you are interviewing for a professional school interview.

Good luck!

• 3 months later...

Ok, so this might be nit-picking, but I'm worried about the cut of the suit that I would wear - I mean I don't want to walk in wearing a really nice suit and give off the impression that I am cocky/arrogant or anything like that. Has anyone else given this a thought?

Ok, so this might be nit-picking, but I'm worried about the cut of the suit that I would wear - I mean I don't want to walk in wearing a really nice suit and give off the impression that I am cocky/arrogant or anything like that. Has anyone else give this a thought?

So you want to wear a really ugly suit? ... Nah, wear something well fitting and makes you feel confident. If it's nicely tailored and makes you feel like a million bucks, you don't need Hugo Boss ;)

• 4 weeks later...
I don't know. I think professional dress does not necessarily mean you have to wear a full suit. I think a collared shirt with a tie and a nice sweater over top is professional and serves the purpose as well.

I was thinking this as well, but the reaction here seems otherwise. For those who have interviewed before: what proportion of men are wearing full suits (with jacket) versus those wearing something like firsttimer suggested?

I was thinking this as well, but the reaction here seems otherwise. For those who have interviewed before: what proportion of men are wearing full suits (with jacket) versus those wearing something like firsttimer suggested?

At the Queen's interview last year... 95+ percent of men were in full suits.

I saw only one in a nice sweater. He looked perfectly fine, but you'd have to wonder whether he walked in knowing everyone else was in a suit and felt awkward about it.

I would highly recommend going with a suit if you're trying to follow the norm.

I saw only one in a nice sweater. He looked perfectly fine, but you'd have to wonder whether he walked in knowing everyone else was in a suit and felt awkward about it.

Perhaps just dress formally (so long as its not a green polyester suit)

Blah. I'm really not in a position right now (time-wise or financially) to go out and purchase a full suit. I spoke to my friend at Western and she said there was a decent split between suits and dress clothes when she interviewed.

What to do, what to do...

Blah. I'm really not in a position right now (time-wise or financially) to go out and purchase a full suit. I spoke to my friend at Western and she said there was a decent split between suits and dress clothes when she interviewed.

What to do, what to do...

I'm sure it's not necessary, I was just saying it was the norm last year.

edit: I may have also been there during a particularly suited up time slot lol.

You can get a suit fairly cheap at Moore's (probably less than 200 if you really look), or if you have roommates/friends similarly built to you maybe borrow one?

Archived