Premed 101 Forums

referee forgot to send the letter -- is doing it today

am i screwed? It's october 1st...and its very unlikly he will do it through courier

help!:confused: :confused: :(

You'll be fine, just get him to send it in ASAP. Courier's annoy them becuase it means they have to sign for it. Multiple a signiture by 5000 and you see why gets to be a pain :)

I've heard that Xpresspost is not courier, even though it works in 1-2 days. That's what I did last year when one of my referees handed me the sealed reference letter two days before Oct.1st. I suggest it for people in tight spots.

I"m getting a little nervous because my third reference letter isn't showing up yet, and she must have posted it around 10 days ago (same as the other two that they have processed).

Is there any sort of concievable penalty if my reference doesn't send it out till late Oct, just cause they want to get to "know me better"???

OMSAS says this might cause your application to be evaluated later than other applications, since it is incomplete. I think it's good to be reviewed first, but it might not make a huge difference.

OMSAS says this might cause your application to be evaluated later than other applications, since it is incomplete. I think it's good to be reviewed first, but it might not make a huge difference.

Yeah probably not much difference (if any there actually). Most places have to review them all before the announcement of interviews anyway.

All of these references seem to be leading exciting lives - out the the country for an entire month - not bad!

Well I mean my friend is going to give the CAF and everything to his supervisor near end of October. Isn't this kind of unfair seeing as how the professor has a ton more time to write him a reference letter while everyone else gets it in by Oct 1?

Unfair? You had the same opportunity, but wisely you decided not to grasp it.

This is a dumb question, but I can't find out how to check receipt of reference letters :| ... In the OMSAS FAQ: After you have submitted your application, and beginning the third week of September, you can enquire online to determine which supporting documents have been received by OMSAS. Log in to your COMPASS account and click on the appropriate link.

What/where is this "appropriate link" ?

I've heard that Xpresspost is not courier, even though it works in 1-2 days. That's what I did last year when one of my referees handed me the sealed reference letter two days before Oct.1st. I suggest it for people in tight spots.

I"m getting a little nervous because my third reference letter isn't showing up yet, and she must have posted it around 10 days ago (same as the other two that they have processed).

It takes a while to process (they recieve hundreds a day near the deadline)

And I agree with Xpresspost

It is awesome because a) you get delivery confirmation B) no signature required c) only around 8 bucks / envelope d) takes 1 business day to get there

It takes a while to process (they recieve hundreds a day near the deadline)

And I agree with Xpresspost

It is awesome because a) you get delivery confirmation B) no signature required c) only around 8 bucks / envelope d) takes 1 business day to get there

xpresspost actually does require signature, apparently omsas has a special person (some dude named mike according to canada post..) to sign all the received deliveries

xpresspost actually does require signature, apparently omsas has a special person (some dude named mike according to canada post..) to sign all the received deliveries

There is an option for signature, and you don't have to select it (trust me, I use Xpresspost all the time). Adding signature costs $1 more

When you check online for the tracking status, the signature you see is not of the person it was delivered to, but rather the mail carrier signing to confirm they delivered it

And it must suck for hte guy who has to sign all the deliveries.

Archived